Page 390 of 524 FirstFirst ... 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 ... LastLast
Results 9,726 to 9,750 of 13089

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the RSC's can make the bite point later / closer to the bar, but not quicker. So if you can't get the bite point quick enough for your liking, I don't think the rsc's will fix that.

It's been a while since I've had any (guide) RS's, but I remember being ok with them (as someone who prefers a quicker, further out bite point).

Also, just verifying: you have code RS's, not G2 RS's? I only ask because Code RS's are a fairly rare oem only thing whereas G2 RS's are pretty common, and should probably be swapped for something more powerful.
    This is helpful, thanks!! Yes, Code RS on 22 stumpy Evo. Super odd spec imo. Hardly see them anywhere. The Expert build is like that though. Kinda like the hubs….couldn’t spec it with a 36t just an 18t? WTF, save a few bucks I guess.
    You saved me money Toast! I’ll roll them and if I give up I’ll go all in on something else later in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If I remember correctly, the RSC's can make the bite point later / closer to the bar, but not quicker. So if you can't get the bite point quick enough for your liking, I don't think the rsc's will fix that.
    You can actually make RSC's work either way.

The trick to do this with the RSC is to bleed them fully open, or "Contact in" then force a little extra through the caliper bleeding edge port. Once bled, adjust the contact dial "out" to reduce the throw. You can make it pretty tight but as you ride you will need to dial in more so if you are maxed out, redo the bleed. This is the opposite of how Sram tells you to bleed them, but I have been doing this since the Avid days when the adjustment was part of the master cylinder and it works.

Here is a slightly cheaper option to try as well, North Fork Brake Cam Set. I haven't tried these yet but have a pair to install. I am hoping this will eliminate the need to dial the contact out as frequently. I am unsure if these work on the RS though. The pin that attaches the levers is different on these brakes and the goes through the cam, They may have the same O.D. though, and be interchangeable.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Well the booster cylinders that don’t have integrated pumps look about half the height and 2x the diameter of a floor pump? I have never fondled one so I don’t know what the actual dimensions and weight are, and Trek, Topeak, Schwalbe don’t seem to have dimensions and weight specs listed on their product pages (annoying). I see no reason this would not work with a small pump, just may take an annoying amount of time to get to a reasonable charge pressure.
    I’ve been using an Airshot for years. I can say it’s very convenient to travel with and seats tires like a boss.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    You can actually make RSC's work either way.

The trick to do this with the RSC is to bleed them fully open, or "Contact in" then force a little extra through the caliper bleeding edge port. Once bled, adjust the contact dial "out" to reduce the throw. You can make it pretty tight but as you ride you will need to dial in more so if you are maxed out, redo the bleed. This is the opposite of how Sram tells you to bleed them, but I have been doing this since the Avid days when the adjustment was part of the master cylinder and it works.

Here is a slightly cheaper option to try as well, North Fork Brake Cam Set. I haven't tried these yet but have a pair to install. I am hoping this will eliminate the need to dial the contact out as frequently. I am unsure if these work on the RS though. The pin that attaches the levers is different on these brakes and the goes through the cam, They may have the same O.D. though, and be interchangeable.
    Interesting, let us know if you put this thing on and it helps! The initial bite point on the RS I have was ridiculously deep in the lever throw before I mucked around with a bleed and the pushed the pistons out.

any reason the PNW rainier Gen. 3 are being blown out? New one coming? Product catching up, for 99 hard to pass on but just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some mechanical issue couldn’t sell em so giving en away type deal.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    any reason the PNW rainier Gen. 3 are being blown out? New one coming? Product catching up, for 99 hard to pass on but just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some mechanical issue couldn’t sell em so giving en away type deal.
    Where are you seeing them for that cheap?

I've heard these are the same as Brand X, which are solid for the money. Lifetime warranty on the PNW posts. Hard to go wrong, especially at that price.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Good CO2 + mini pump to either put on the bottle cage mount or in the fanny pack?

Was looking for something like:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Bike-Pum.../dp/B09WTY77RF
    The One-Up pumps are great. A bit more $$ but the functionality and internal storage is sweet!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Where are you seeing them for that cheap?

I've heard these are the same as Brand X, which are solid for the money. Lifetime warranty on the PNW posts. Hard to go wrong, especially at that price.
    Direct on pnw website!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Direct on pnw website!
    FYI it looks to only be the 34.9mm posts. You got my hopes up for a 30.9 post.

That’s an unfortunate standard. It’s one of the only ones that really does make sense, but it’ll probably never catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    but it’ll probably never catch on.
    FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That’s an unfortunate standard. It’s one of the only ones that really does make sense, but it’ll probably never catch on.

I get that it makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but I go the opposite route with my droppers to maximize compatibility: I only buy 30.9, because I can use a $5 shim to fit 31.6 or 34.9, besides obviously fitting 30.9.

All I know is that my 34.9 dropper weighs 140 grams more than the exact same version in 30.9. That's kind of a lot.

All I know is that my 34.9 dropper weighs 140 grams more than the exact same version in 30.9. That's kind of a lot.
    Another reason to only buy 30.9 and shim to fit.

Agree with the above, but I have always wondered why Specialized settled on 30.9, (a long time ago)and how it became ubiquitous. Giant for years was 30.8!
    Last edited by rideit; 03-22-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I do prefer regular chucks though. For some reason I bought a lezyne floor pump last year, and the thread on ones are just more annoying to use. So I bought a silca hiro chuck, which I think cost as much as the whole pump. That one's pretty good, prob should have just got a silca pump to begin with though.
    I have a Birzman Tiny Tanker that lives in the truck. It’s flat, so it would go into a duffle easily. And the chuck works pretty well.

Ah I see yeah I’m on the 34.9, status 160.

But you shimmers make a valid point.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I get that it makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but I go the opposite route with my droppers to maximize compatibility: I only buy 30.9, because I can use a $5 shim to fit 31.6 or 34.9, besides obviously fitting 30.9.
    Is anyone using 30.9 on mountain bikes anymore? I feel like its all 31.6 and 34.9.

I guess the Epic is still 30.9 but trail bikes and up...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I hate my shimmed 30.9 post in a 31.6 seat tube. Starts creaking every few hundred miles requiring a clean/lube and a PITA re-install. And it has a silver ring on top that doesn't match the rest of my bike.

Am seriously considering that new Wolf Tooth dropper to squeeze 15mm more drop and ditch the shim.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Is anyone using 30.9 on mountain bikes anymore? I feel like its all 31.6 and 34.9.

I guess the Epic is still 30.9 but trail bikes and up...
    Not sure if you mixed your sizes up.
    Pretty sure the industry has settled on 31.6 and 30.9.
    34.9 cuts down your options dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Not sure if you mixed your sizes up.
    Pretty sure the industry has settled on 31.6 and 30.9.
    34.9 cuts down your options dramatically.
    I'm surprised at how many brands are still using 30.9. I hadn't seen one on a new full suspension bike for a while, but apparently I'm just paying attention to different brands.

34.9: Specialized, Trek, Commencal, Norco

31.6: Santa Cruz, Yeti, Scott, Propain, Transition, Intense, Revel

30.9: Giant, Pivot, Rocky Mountain, Evil

GG is 30.9 as well.

That sucks, BigHerm. I've been lucky and have never had any issues with shims.

I'm surprised at how many brands are still using 30.9. I hadn't seen one on a new full suspension bike for a while, but apparently I'm just paying attention to different brands.

34.9: Specialized, Trek, Commencal, Norco

31.6: Santa Cruz, Yeti, Scott, Propain, Transition, Intense, Revel

30.9: Giant, Pivot, Rocky Mountain, Evil
    I forgot Giant existed...

New Pivots are 31.6, I thought that Evil switched to 34.9 but I am wrong.
    Either way, it seems 34.9 is equal to 30.9 with 31.6 being the leader by far.

To be clear I am not saying I like the 34.9 size.

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Interesting, let us know if you put this thing on and it helps! The initial bite point on the RS I have was ridiculously deep in the lever throw before I mucked around with a bleed and the pushed the pistons out.

Interesting, the factory bleed on the Code RS on my GFs new Stumpy Evo is complete garbage. I'm surprised the shop even sent it out the door like that.

Conversely, the factory bleed on my '21 enduro never needed to be fucked with in 2 seasons of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I have a Birzman Tiny Tanker that lives in the truck. It’s flat, so it would go into a duffle easily. And the chuck works pretty well.

It makes me happy to know that exists. My Lezyne Travel Drive is holding up fine, so I probably won't switch, but got that screw on chuck is like someone handed you a dirty ball sack when you asked for a screwdriver.