Page 91 of 524 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

^ it doesn't go flat, but it loses enough that I can easily squeeze the tire in a good bit. whatever that means. flatter than I'd like to ride, but without LOOKING flat. I'll add sealant.

More sealant, swish it around to plug sidewall holes, make sure the valve is screwed down tight. If that doesn't help, pull the tire (at least one side) and make sure the rim tape is still good.

There are so many ways that a tubeless setup can slowly lose air, it can drive you crazy trying to troubleshoot. That’s why I no longer troubleshoot anything that loses less than 3-4 psi in 24 hours.

It could be...
    -Valve core - stuck partially open, seal gunked, seal is bad and just needs to be replaced
    -valve stem “volcano” washer isn’t sealing right
    -small leak in your rim tape job and air is tunneling out
    -dented/bent rim and sealant isn’t closing the imperfect mate between your tire and rim
    -the tire itself is a piece of garbage and is absorbing sealant fluid without sealing and passing air
    -your sealant has dried and it’s a super minor puncture or imperfect seal

I’d remove and clean the valve core, add some sealant, make sure the valve core is tightly set but not too tight (so you don’t destroy the o ring) when reinstalling it. If it gets better or stays the same don’t worry about it. You might go mad trying to troubleshoot the above.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

When I have a slow leak I just take the spray bottle with soap in it and spray the rim and tire. Finds the leak in seconds. Usually is the valve that isn't quite right enough.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Been changing tires a lot recently and find that my rim tape gets messed up more than you think even with a very careful install. If there is any leakage and I already have the tire off the rim I'll just grab the gorilla tape and start with a new strip. Adds like 2 minutes to the whole process. Most of my tubeless slow leaks are from the rim tape it seems.

What do you guys think about riding in the smoke? We're "only" at 155 here right now. I rode bike park last Sunday and it was very smoky and I was hacking pretty freaking bad. I was breathing really hard though going for PRs/KOMs. Can't imagine a trail ride is the best idea now, but I haven't ridden all week and going crazy....

A riding friend of ours is a doctor. Her advice to us was: “don’t”. It’s chronic exposure. You may not hurt yourself today, but it adds up. I haven’t ridden since Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    A riding friend of ours is a doctor. Her advice to us was: “don’t”. It’s chronic exposure. You may not hurt yourself today, but it adds up. I haven’t ridden since Saturday.
    That makes sense. My legs need a break anyway. Between riding and hiking/hunting I haven't taken more than 2 or 3 days off since March.

Hopefully we all get some rain tonight.

I was trail running a lot in 2017 when we had our last really bad smoke year. I felt like I had to keep running through it because of a packed race schedule. It sucked. Caused lung issues that lasted a few months. Now I won't go ride outside if we're in the orange. I'd rather just ride the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I'd rather just ride the trainer.
    The dreaded T word....maybe I need to get the trainer set up again today.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    There are so many ways that a tubeless setup can slowly lose air, it can drive you crazy trying to troubleshoot. That’s why I no longer troubleshoot anything that loses less than 3-4 psi in 24 hours.
    Yep. Not worth the time investment trying to troubleshoot things to perfection on a bike. I always spend the 60-90 seconds it takes to use a floor pump to put some air into my tires pre-ride... in large part because most of my rides are long grinds to the top, and then downhill all the way back to the car and i like to cheat by putting in 40PSI for the up, and then airing them down for the ride back down haha. As long as they dont lose any noticable air on the trail, i wouldnt worry about it.

If you change your tires when the air quality index is above 200, the extra particles in the air help things seal up better.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yep. Not worth the time investment trying to troubleshoot things to perfection on a bike. I always spend the 60-90 seconds it takes to use a floor pump to put some air into my tires pre-ride... in large part because most of my rides are long grinds to the top, and then downhill all the way back to the car and i like to cheat by putting in 40PSI for the up, and then airing them down for the ride back down haha. As long as they dont lose any noticable air on the trail, i wouldnt worry about it.
    yeah, fair enough. I tightened the valves and will add sealant and then forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    <snip> I was breathing really hard though going for PRs/KOMs.

I think WG would fit in really well in FR Colorado. Training and Strava and all is the norm. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

My first atempt at tubeless was 15 yrs ago when Nevagals 1st came, I put them on an 819 rim with no rim strip cuz it was a tubeless rim right ? Super light/ super fast rolling but that tire lost 10psi over night every night, i think a lot of the air came thru the porous sidewalls,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I think WG would fit in really well in FR Colorado.
    I think he did for awhile, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My first atempt at tubeless was 15 yrs ago when Nevagals 1st came, I put them on an 819 rim with no rim strip cuz it was a tubeless rim right ? Super light/ super fast rolling but that tire lost 10psi over night every night, i think a lot of the air came thru the porous sidewalls,
    Hehehehehe. Nevegals.

well my front (non-leaky) tire snapped into place with that nice satisfying explosion sound when it inflated. the rear never did, though the bead sure seems set by eye. who knows. it doesn't take any time to pump the rear up, and it seems not worth spending the time to remove the tire, re-tape, etc... at this point I'll add sealant and then just keep reinflating it until it either gets worse or I get a new bike. it's still a much better setup than my non-leaky kendas with tubes, so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn, didn't know you guys were so down on fun. Fast = fun.
    I have no argument with fast/fun.

LOL. Bozeman strava is full of try hards (not saying I'm not one of them too). I can't imagine the front range would be any different

My goal is to be KOM, but starting at the 300s.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Hehehehehe. Nevegals.

at the time I bought them they had pretty much just won the MBA tire shoot out, they were fast rolling, traction was ok but they leaked air so I eventualy put tubes in them, not sure what I did with them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

IMO smoke over aqi 100 means ride the trainer. N NV has been in the 300s a lot lately, so that's been my life for the last few weeks. A smart trainer with virtual video rides has really helped. Getting the HR over about 130 in any smoke results in instant symptoms for me. I hypothesize that one loses less fitness by not riding than by riding in smoke.

I bailed East, though, and things are better here in Ely. The trails are also excellent. I'll keep going as the smoke follows me.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    at the time I bought them they had pretty much just won the MBA tire shoot out, they were fast rolling, traction was ok but they leaked air so I eventualy put tubes in them, not sure what I did with them
    I had Nevegals way back when. I didn't love or hate them. They were UST though, and so never, ever leaked air. UST was nice, not having to mess with rim tape - not sure why it's all but gone these days.