Page 1 of 521 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Ask the experts

Everyone in here is an expert at something, right?

First question: if coil suspension is superior in every way except weight, why have Fox and RS stopped making coil DH forks?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Everyone in here is an expert at something, right?

First question: if coil suspension is superior in every way except weight, why have Fox and RS stopped making coil DH forks?

Air is more tunable, and the lower pressures + larger volume air chamber in forks means the performance gap between coil and air is smaller than with rear shocks.

That said, there's still a market for coil forks. Just ask mrp and ohlins.

Just a warning, if you put an aftermarket coil spring in your air fork, you can't go back to air. The spring will mar the inside of the stanchion, and f you try to go back to the air shock, it will not seal properly on the marred stanchion.
    Thats my expert opinion for the day. Glad I got that out of the way this early in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Air is more tunable, and the lower pressures + larger volume air chamber in forks means the performance gap between coil and air is smaller than with rear shocks.

This, but with more detail - shock companies are now pretty focused on getting sag right based on weight, and you can tune an air shock without replacing any parts, making it far more consumer friendly.

I still have a shock parts box full of replaced/replacement springs of various weights for various shocks.

Push seems to sell a decent number of ACS3 conversions, too.

It's my understanding that coil forks have lagged because of lack of bottom-out control systems. Frames can be designed to be progressive, so that with the right frame, you don't need a bottom-out control system and can use a "simple" coil shock / damper. But forks need bottom out control or you're going to be either running a very firm spring, or "ringing the bell" often. That's why Push & Vorsprung conversions are popular, because they provide air / hydraulic bottom out control (respectively).

Yup. Above question arose after mrsjm2e put the ACS3 on her trail bike. Reports that it’s a game changer. Wishes she had a fork that felt as good on her DH rig. Which is kind of ironic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Yup. Above question arose after mrsjm2e put the ACS3 on her trail bike. Reports that it’s a game changer. Wishes she had a fork that felt as good on her DH rig. Which is kind of ironic, right?

I think coil forks are more game-changery for lighter riders, and people pushing a bit less hard. The heavier you are, or the harder / faster you're riding, the less a little bit of seal stiction matters and the more ramp up, support, and bottom out resistance matters (all of which are more present, and more easily tunable with an air spring). It's certainly possible to get those traits dialed on a coil fork with a good damper and other tech fuckery, but it's more complicated (and thus more expensive). That added expense, combined with the issue of having to buy / swap springs to dial in rate and sag, means that coil forks are significantly less viable for a broader audience. And they're heavier, so there's that.

If nothing else, Rockshox and Fox are looking to make forks that are spec'd as OEM equipment. But specing a coil as OEM equipment means the shop / end user needs to fuck around with swapping springs, which is potentially an added expense, and certainly more involved.

Here's my ask the experts question: when the side knobs tear off on the Schwalbe Nobby Nic that I currently have on the rear of my hardtail, is the tire going to hold air still? A bunch of the knobs are tearing from the base - undercut, basically.

I got this stupid tire for cheap, but it sure didn't last long. Was pretty good for a couple rides, then got sketchy as summer trails got loose and dusty. If the knobs stay in place, I can use it for another month until winter sets in, then put on a fresh tire and new sealant in the spring. I'd rather not have to walk out of a trail with a shredded tire though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Here's my ask the experts question: when the side knobs tear off on the Schwalbe Nobby Nic that I currently have on the rear of my hardtail, is the tire going to hold air still? A bunch of the knobs are tearing from the base - undercut, basically.

I got this stupid tire for cheap, but it sure didn't last long. Was pretty good for a couple rides, then got sketchy as summer trails got loose and dusty. If the knobs stay in place, I can use it for another month until winter sets in, then put on a fresh tire and new sealant in the spring. I'd rather not have to walk out of a trail with a shredded tire though.
    I'm impressed you got ANY rides out that fucking tire.

I’ve never seen a Nobby Nic with more than 5 rides on it that wasn’t missing at least 1/4 side knobs

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So... replace it ASAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

So... replace it ASAP?
    It'll hold air, but it'll be super fragile - if you hit anything that will slice the casing where a knob fell off it's instantly done. Which is bad if you are going downhill at 25 mph when it happens. Less bad since it's on the rear. But still bad.

I've ridden tires with nobs coming off but I was young and stupid and broke and reliant on shipments of free gear for maintenance. Didn't end in disaster, but I wouldn't do it now.

My wife just had a nice 4 mile rocky downhill walk due to a Nobby Nic center knob falling off. She was not amused.

Replace that thing with an Aggressor. I’ve been really happy with it for a rear.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Replace that thing with an Aggressor. I’ve been really happy with it for a rear.
    Yup, do this. I'm hardly an expert though.

I’ve torn mine 3 or 4 times. But otherwise it’s good. I like to be able to drift the back tire out a little more than this allows sometimes

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

DON’T Replace that thing with an Aggressor. Multiple smarties have had problems with them being flimsy compared to other Maxxis tires.
    Fixed it for you.

I’ve Ben running an 11six rear for years and it’s hands down the best shock I’ve ever used. Finally did the ac3 conversion to the fork this summer and it’s hands down the best $300 I’ve spent on the bike. The fork now matches the rear perfectly

What kind of bike?

So... replace it ASAP?
    Send it to XXXer. Sounds like a job for AQS.

Ask the experts

Anyone with experience with these two packs?

Henty Enduro
    https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/?setreg=us

Camelback Chase Bike Vest
    https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/mo...4aAiHBEALw_wcB

Looking for an everyday pack to ride trails. Prefer a pack with h2o vs switching around on-bike storage, plus I like the option to carry more stuff if I wish to. Curious which ‘’rides better’’

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Anyone with experience with these two packs?

Henty Enduro
    https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/?setreg=us

Camelback Chase Bike Vest
    https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/mo...4aAiHBEALw_wcB

Looking for an everyday pack to ride trails. Prefer a pack with h2o vs switching around on-bike storage, plus I like the option to carry more stuff if I wish to. Curious which ‘’rides better’’
    I have the henty and like it. I only use it for bigger rides where I need more water / stuff than I can carry with a fanny pack. But for that use, it's great. Most of the upsides of a fanny pack, but carries a larger load much better.

Haven't used the Camelback, but it looks hot. If I wanted something covering my whole back, I'd just wear a backpack.

I have the henty and like it. I only use it for bigger rides where I need more water / stuff than I can carry with a fanny pack. But for that use, it's great. Most of the upsides of a fanny pack, but carries a larger load much better.

Haven't used the Camelback, but it looks hot. If I wanted something covering my whole back, I'd just wear a backpack.
    I am down on camelback products. The Henty fills a specific niche. If you like it, you’ll like it. Otherwise go get an Osprey. I just sent two Ospreys back a few weeks ago for the lifetime warranty. They replaced them within two weeks. The stuff is the best you can buy, and if it does fail, they fix it.