Page 195 of 524 FirstFirst ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... LastLast
Results 4,851 to 4,875 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

Speaking as a computer geek who was a USAC official for a while and has worked road races with everything from clipboards and stopwatches to pro timing companies running video and picking up racer numbers from it, I'd want to have stopwatches and clipboards as a backup if I was using a chip-based solution.
    Good info, thanks!

The last enduro I raced before the pandemic required racers to touch a reader at the beginning and end of every stage and I didn't feel like it was a huge imposition at all, but yeah, will figure out some kind of manual backup for timing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thx, I was leaning toward a new headset as the solution. Probably Cane Creek 40. You’ve given me hope

The upper bearing has an OD of 31.8, so I guess I’m
    Looking for an IS42 upper assembly. The lower bearing is marked 36/45 degrees, which I think means the frame/bearing interface is 36 degrees.
    Turns out FSA uses a stupid ‘Italian standard’ 36 degree crown race. Anyway I bought a complete cane creek IS 42 / IS 52 integrated hell bender 70 headset…installed it…and the front end is still creaking somewhere near the headset/fork area. It’s stumped the LBS too. My next move is to dunk the entire bike in a deep fat fryer.

Noise can be hard to find and it could be anything

back in the day a couple of us shot an intermittent noise bug on a bike , replaced stuff to no avail

on the 3rd time in the shop the other guy found a SLIGHTLY loose QR on the rear wheel
    ever so often the rear wheel would slip in the dropouts and click

good luck!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    My next move is to dunk the entire bike in a deep fat fryer.
    Tenative dibs on the chain...depending of course on your chain maintenance protocol.

Wondering if i need a new derailleur hanger or maybe theres an adapter? Switched from 11spd 11-46 full xt to 12 spd 10-51 shimano. The cage on the der rubs on the 51 with b tension screwed all the way in . Chain is as short as it will go. Thinking 12spd must need a long der hanger?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ask the experts

You got the B screw stop in place? If the B screw is pushing directly against the frame, you need to remove the mech and spin the stop so that it’s between the screw and the frame.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You got the B screw stop in place? If the B screw is pushing directly against the frame, you need to remove the mech and spin the stop so that it’s between the screw and the frame.
    Oh that could be it/fingers crossed. Ill check in the morning. Thanks

shimano 12spd chain setup shouldn't be super short either... https://dansbikeblog.com/article/how...eed-drivetrain

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    shimano 12spd chain setup shouldn't be super short either... https://dansbikeblog.com/article/how...eed-drivetrain
    Thanks.Looks like i had the length right the first go. Took 4 out after the initial install to try and get that top pulley and cage away from the 50t , after i had the b tension all the way in.
    Going to add the 4 back in and look at this b tension setup now

This is a bit silly but sounding like an idiot has never stopped me before: what's the secret to avoid hitting trees with wide bars?

I ran 760 mm bars on my previous bike and occasionally nailed an aspen on the old school tight trails in Park City. The Occam came with 780 and I've really liked the handling of the wider bars but I've been clipping trees with an alarming frequency, and not always in tight terrain. The other day I put my bars into a big old pine in LCC when there was nothing pushing me toward it. I thought I had inches to spare but somehow bounced off the trunk hard enough that I barely stayed on the bike. It mashed the knuckle of my left pinkie into oblivion, leaving a nice hole that is now getting whipped by every passing branch. Yesterday I brushed 2 aspens at speed and thought I was toast.
    I know not to focus on the obstacle and look past it but I must unconsciously focus on the tree at the last second and drift into it. I'm always closer than I think and even when the bars clear I've brushed trunks with the back of my shoulder or the my pack.

I'd prefer not to cut my bars so for now I've added a thin strip of tape on the outside of the grip to force my hand in a bit (tape is slippery and I naturally slide my hand away from it) to at least protect the fingers. Am I the only idiot who's incapable of keeping his bars from trees? What's you guys secret to avoid nailing inanimate objects?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    This is a bit silly but sounding like an idiot has never stopped me before: what's the secret to avoid hitting trees with wide bars?

I ran 760 mm bars on my previous bike and occasionally nailed an aspen on the old school tight trails in Park City. The Occam came with 780 and I've really liked the handling of the wider bars but I've been clipping trees with an alarming frequency, and not always in tight terrain. The other day I put my bars into a big old pine in LCC when there was nothing pushing me toward it. I thought I had inches to spare but somehow bounced off the trunk hard enough that I barely stayed on the bike. It mashed the knuckle of my left pinkie into oblivion, leaving a nice hole that is now getting whipped by every passing branch. Yesterday I brushed 2 aspens at speed and thought I was toast.
    I know not to focus on the obstacle and look past it but I must unconsciously focus on the tree at the last second and drift into it. I'm always closer than I think and even when the bars clear I've brushed trunks with the back of my shoulder or the my pack.

I'd prefer not to cut my bars so for now I've added a thin strip of tape on the outside of the grip to force my hand in a bit (tape is slippery and I naturally slide my hand away from it) to at least protect the fingers. Am I the only idiot who's incapable of keeping his bars from trees? What's you guys secret to avoid nailing inanimate objects?
    Just gotta cut those trees down. All trails should have an 8' corridor.

But yeah, there aren't really any tricks. That's why a bunch of the EWS guys run relatively narrow bars. Also why a bunch of those guys run moto handguards / bark busters. Personally, I do neither of those things and just deal with clipping my bars occasionally.

What's you guys secret to avoid nailing inanimate objects?
    Stay far away from the morgue, you necropheliac weirdo!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'd prefer not to cut my bars so for now I've added a thin strip of tape on the outside of the grip to force my hand in a bit (tape is slippery and I naturally slide my hand away from it) to at least protect the fingers.
    This feels like the wrong strategy. If may protect your fingers a little but now you have more bar hanging out there that your brain isn't intuitively aware of. I prefer to have my hand slightly overhanging the end of the bar.

i always wear crash pads, wrist to past the elbow which allow me to glance off trees or whatever, knee or elbow pads gota have a sleeve + straps to stay in place when you crash, I'm rocking some 661 2x4's from back in the day

slow down so you can move the bars sideways to slide between the trees

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This feels like the wrong strategy. If may protect your fingers a little but now you have more bar hanging out there that your brain isn't intuitively aware of. I prefer to have my hand slightly overhanging the end of the bar.
    Mostly it helps me see how I like narrower bars. I'm probably running the equivalent of a 770 with the tape, if it doesn't bother me I'll cut the bars.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have been running bark busters/VC guards for about a month. Lots of hate. Most people don't run them. I could care less. Hit a tree at close to 40mph and don't go down/break your hand? Do that once and you are sold. I tested mine at Silver last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This. I have my hands right on the edge of the bar and almost never (like once or twice a year) hit anything, and when I do it's just a graze. The few times I've messed around with different bar widths by sliding grips and brakes inboard while leaving bar sticking out, I was tagging stuff left and right just with 10mm sticking out past the grips/hands.

Move your controls (levers, shifter, remote) inboard a 1/4-1/2”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I occasionally rub a tree but thats just getting greedy on the inside. I think youll just get used to where your hands are. You brain might be still thinking 760 on occasion

Am I the only idiot who's incapable of keeping his bars from trees? What's you guys secret to avoid nailing inanimate objects?
    I was gonna say yes, but apparently, from the subsequent responses, you're not.

Anybody have a good strategy for getting the inside line on in stock bikes? I've noticed a few "owners" Facebook groups for specific brands where shops from all over the country will post up when they have a popular bike in stock. If I can track down a V2 Sentinel or Stumpy Evo I'd probably jump on it. I hate Facebook, but it's the most efficient option I've found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Anybody have a good strategy for getting the inside line on in stock bikes? I've noticed a few "owners" Facebook groups for specific brands where shops from all over the country will post up when they have a popular bike in stock. If I can track down a V2 Sentinel or Stumpy Evo I'd probably jump on it. I hate Facebook, but it's the most efficient option I've found so far.
    The Facebook groups are pretty solid in my experience. Another strategy is to use the "dealer finder" function on the brand's website and just start calling dealers. Most of them won't be allowed to ship you a bike, but if you can find a friend (or a maggot) in that area who can go in and take delivery, and then bike flight it to you, you could be in luck.

Best fork seals?

SKF last significantly longer for me than fox. Any others I should try?

I thot Enduro were very popular ?

I had my 36 serviced with the Enduro and new foam rings, when the fork was apart

they seem fine but then the stock seals were also fine

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/reso...eal-chart.html

I haven't ran anything but OEM in quite a while but ran Enduro BITD in several DH and freeride forks with good results.