Page 95 of 525 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 13113

Thread: Ask the experts

Yes, the Runt is an air spring. He stated the fork has a Push coil conversion. I’m suggesting taking that out and replacing with the Runt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Upgrade vs. new bike dilemma for your consideration:

AC currently rides a DB Release and likes it, but it needs a refresh so I'm weighing whether to go new bike vs upgrade. DB's Level Link is actually a great suspension platform and a full suspension overhaul from Suspension Syndicate or Diaz, a set of nice wheels (the set Falcon3 has for sale right now are very tempting), and SLX 12-sp would make the Release pretty sick. The Release's geo is mostly pretty good, but the STA is 73* and I'm all-in on steep STA bikes so geo would be the main reason to go new, albeit at greater cost.

Frontrunners for a new bike would be the new Trance X 29 and Meta TR 29. Ripmo AF and Privateer 141 are also under consideration. I'm not necessarily looking at 29ers specifically, that's just what most of the top contenders in this category are trending towards. She's 5-4, a strong rider and really strong in general (loves to lift and spends a lot of time in the gym, can do strict pullups for sets of 6-8).

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Yes, the Runt is an air spring. He stated the fork has a Push coil conversion. I’m suggesting taking that out and replacing with the Runt.

Can’t go from coil to air. All those new little scratches inside the tube things keep the air seals from sealing the airs inside.

However many are in a shit ton.

Transition Scout? That was on my shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Can’t go from coil to air. All those new little scratches inside the tube things keep the air seals from sealing the airs inside.

Yup. Forgot about that, realized it this afternoon. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Upgrade vs. new bike dilemma for your consideration:

AC currently rides a DB Release and likes it, but it needs a refresh so I'm weighing whether to go new bike vs upgrade. DB's Level Link is actually a great suspension platform and a full suspension overhaul from Suspension Syndicate or Diaz, a set of nice wheels (the set Falcon3 has for sale right now are very tempting), and SLX 12-sp would make the Release pretty sick. The Release's geo is mostly pretty good, but the STA is 73* and I'm all-in on steep STA bikes so geo would be the main reason to go new, albeit at greater cost.

Frontrunners for a new bike would be the new Trance X 29 and Meta TR 29. Ripmo AF and Privateer 141 are also under consideration. I'm not necessarily looking at 29ers specifically, that's just what most of the top contenders in this category are trending towards. She's 5-4, a strong rider and really strong in general (loves to lift and spends a lot of time in the gym, can do strict pullups for sets of 6-8).
    Have you tried flipping the saddle clamp on the seatpost to give it a slight forward offset (or to be more accurate, slightly more forward support for a saddle that is being run slammed forward)? Not that new bikes aren't great and fun, but if the STA is a major hangup, probably worth giving that a go first, though obviously depends on what post you have on there. Realistically you're only getting an extra 5 or 10mm of forward positioning, but maybe that's enough? Also I just discovered that 9point8 sells a legit forward offset head for their posts, but that probably makes sense $$-wise only if you already have a 9point8 post...

Ask the experts

If I were 5’ 4” I’d be leery of having a 29er as my main bike. How would you describe altachik’s riding style and favorite kind of trails and features?

Mostly I’d be concerned about how much less agile and quick to go from edge to edge a 29” bike would feel at that height, and for its tendency to run away from you if you aren’t totally pinning the front wheel. I’m 5’ 8” and any 29” bike will always be my 2nd bike for that reason ... and yes, I do own a modern geo RidEgg 29er ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Could she fit your Shred Doggie and you could build yourself a Mega? Then you’d have two bikes on the same platform (spare parts!), and be able to take turns and swap bikes (I assume with shock and fork pressure adjustments) between runs if doing family shuttling or what not. My wife is 1” shorter than me and that’s what we do on my Bronson. It gets annoying if changing shock and fork pressure more than a couple times per day, but she likes my bike so much better than her o.g. 26” Mojo SL. For short runs sometimes we don’t even mess with the air pressure actually.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Transition Scout? That was on my shortlist.
    With no alloy Scout anymore it's not in the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Have you tried flipping the saddle clamp on the seatpost to give it a slight forward offset (or to be more accurate, slightly more forward support for a saddle that is being run slammed forward)? Not that new bikes aren't great and fun, but if the STA is a major hangup, probably worth giving that a go first, though obviously depends on what post you have on there. Realistically you're only getting an extra 5 or 10mm of forward positioning, but maybe that's enough? Also I just discovered that 9point8 sells a legit forward offset head for their posts, but that probably makes sense $$-wise only if you already have a 9point8 post...
    She doesn't complain about how it climbs or anything, but she's also never ridden a steep STA bike. If I go the upgrade route I'll probably do something like this, but it feels a bit kludgy.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    If I were 5’ 4” I’d be leery of having a 29er as my main bike. How would you describe altachik’s riding style and favorite kind of trails and features?

Mostly I’d be concerned about how much less agile and quick to go from edge to edge a 29” bike would feel at that height, and for its tendency to run away from you if you aren’t totally pinning the front wheel. I’m 5’ 8” and any 29” bike will always be my 2nd bike for that reason ... and yes, I do own a modern geo RidEgg 29er ...
    She likes to climb, is a solid descender but doesn't pin it or get super leaned over in turns. Doesn't jump and otherwise likes everything from buff XC to Ahab. Two summers ago she borrowed a friend's Salsa El Mariachi for a bit and liked the traction the bigger wheels provide and seemed to be fine with the cornering, but that was obviously a very different bike.

Could she fit your Shred Doggie and you could build yourself a Mega? Then you’d have two bikes on the same platform (spare parts!), and be able to take turns and swap bikes (I assume with shock and fork pressure adjustments) between runs if doing family shuttling or what not. My wife is 1” shorter than me and that’s what we do on my Bronson. It gets annoying if changing shock and fork pressure more than a couple times per day, but she likes my bike so much better than her o.g. 26” Mojo SL. For short runs sometimes we don’t even mess with the air pressure actually.
    The Shred Dogg got Mega'd when I got a Mezzer and Mara Pro in the spring. Part of the 29er calculus would be that I could ride it sometimes. I rode the Salsa some too and thought the wagon wheels were fun. Her entire build kit would transfer over to a carbon SD frame which is an interesting idea, but then I can't sell the Release which I figure I could get around $1,000 for.

Cuz of the wagon wheels 29" bikes usually don't come in small cuz the wheels don't fit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ah. Then the answer is clear.
    Trail Pistol!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ah. Then the answer is clear.
    Trail Pistol!
    I've been keeping an eye out for a used Pistol for a while now but smalls are really uncommon. There's one on PB right now that's sweet, but it's a bit over-pimped with Enve/King wheels and a CC Inline Coil that is undersprung for her weight.

<snip>Two summers ago she borrowed a friend's Salsa El Mariachi for a bit and liked the traction the bigger wheels provide
    Just get her some decent tires!

DTM - Pro's Closet has a bunch of new old stock Banshee frames with rear shock, $850. Maybe worth checking out - if you can swap all the parts and fork from the Diamondback...?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just get her some decent tires!
    Contact patch, MF'er, do you speak it?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    DTM - Pro's Closet has a bunch of new old stock Banshee frames with rear shock, $850. Maybe worth checking out - if you can swap all the parts and fork from the Diamondback...?
    That's a sweet deal. But, the Spitfire geo isn't that different from the Release so I'm not sure it makes sense. It is pretty tempting to pick one up for my kid when he outgrows his 24".

Contact patch, MF'er, do you speak it?
    Get outta here with that roadie shit.

Knobs and rubber compound. Way more importanter. When we're discussing "real" biking, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

So you're saying he should remove the coil and go back to air, adding the runt?
    Couple issues there. First, the runt's goal is to make an air spring feel coil-ish, and it's OK at doing so, but it's still a long way from true coil spring performance. Second, a coil conversion is rarely reversible. The coil spring will almost always score the internals somewhat, making it impossible for an air piston to seal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Ask the experts

Dan I couldn’t find that Trail Pistol on PB, but I found a medium Pedälhead in SLC

Also - it’s not too expensive to get a properly weighted spring ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oh never mind - it wasn’t coming up in search results for “pistol” originally but I found it under “guerilla” ... anyways, pre-revved and $4k is too much.

And that Medium PH is probably too big for you as a second bike. I’m 5’ 8” 30” inseam, 32-33” sleeve length and on that bike I run a 125mm dropper almost slammed to the collar, 35mm stem with 775mm bars. I think you are shorter than me? It’s such a fun bike though!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Dan I couldn’t find that Trail Pistol on PB, but I found a medium Pedälhead in SLC
    This is it: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2883664/

Buying her a Pedalhead would end with me sleeping on the couch.

I think you are shorter than me? It’s such a fun bike though!
    Yeah, I'm 5-6. I built up a Ragley Mmmbop in the spring. I haven't ridden it much since it rattles my noggin a bit too much still but it's fun for sure. She hasn't ridden it once.

That's because hardtails suck. Mine don't get ridden anymore as well. Fun for the occasional ride on gravel.

Awesome for pump tracks, jump lines, and non chattery flow trails ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also awesome for really steep stuff where you are mostly working the fork ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Back wheel weighted and monkey arm steering? Yeah I can see that