Page 50 of 531 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Ask the experts

So I’m currently trying to decide which bike to keep. I have a large SB5.5, and medium SB5.5 (don’t ask why I have two).

With the medium I need to add a ~2” handlebar stem extension to raise the bars. Let’s me ride a bit more upright which I need for my back so I don’t aggravate my herniated discs. With the large, I don’t need that because the geo puts the bars up higher relative to the seat height I need.

Medium is definitely easier to control on technical climbs, and feels better for my back due to a little bit more upright stance. Less front tire wander, and overall I feel like I can control the bike better everywhere and it’s more nimble. Going down though, can feel a bit small and more like I’m on top of the bike.

Large is harder to control on climbs, just feels more sluggish and unwieldy. Not a huge amount though. Makes my back a little more sore. On the way down however, it feels a good more confidence inspiring.

Basically, medium feels like the right size on climbs, and large feels like the right size on descents. Makes sense I guess considering at 5’10 I’m sort of right on the cusp between the two sizes. Seems weird that most bike companies have their size ranges end exactly at the average American male height... would think having it in the middle of a size range would be logical.

Which to keep? Not sure if I should keep the large and I’ll grow into it as my skills improve (only been riding a couple months, can do most intermediate and intermediate-advanced trails comfortably), or if I’ll be better off with the medium which is easier for me to handle right now.

Or potentially sell both and look for a bike that’s geo is somewhere inbetween the two. Medium ripmo, maybe a medium SB130 or SB150 are options I was looking at.

give one to me I’m 5’10” too either size will do!

at 5' 8" with a 30 " inseam I demo'ed the large 5.5

it definatley felt too long

so i got the medium

medium is perfect for me

my buddy the yeti guy had a 150 for a short time

sez its so scary fast he had to sell it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.rei.com/product/100537/k...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This thing has been great for me. Use it on really long runs and rides and carry a lot less weight in water. Obviously useless if you aren’t crossing many water sources. But, it’s light and it seems to work well the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Seems weird that most bike companies have their size ranges end exactly at the average American male height... would think having it in the middle of a size range would be logical.
    This, X1000. Pisses me off every time I look at a bike I'm always between sizes despite being right at the top of the bell curve of averageness.

But yeah, I don't have anything useful to tell you re: your question. Keep whatever feels right.

Well, overall height might have an average, but torso length, leg length, and ape-hanger indexes are all different, and every engineer (likely) has a small bias on these.
    Just my .02...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Would be interesting to talk with someone from industry. I actually wonder if they do that on purpose to make it easier for shops to move inventory.
    “Sure, that medium will be just fine for you. We’ll slide the saddle way back and put a 70mm stem on it. 3” riser bars and a 420mm seatpost if necessary!”

However many are in a shit ton.

On the pack debate: Squarely in the fanny pack camp, with a bottle in the pack and a big bottle in the frame I'm set for any all-day ride around here. That said, I drink less water than most.

I do think people need to look outside of the fanny pack/traditional hydration pack paradigm though. Running vests may look a little dorky, but this is mountain biking, nobody looks that cool, and IMO they're way better than any hydration pack I've tried.

They're lighter weight, they're really carefully designed to keep them from moving around, even when you use a lot of body English, and usually they have a smarter pocket layout than bike packs. Just find one that has the right amount of capacity for you, and you're good to go. They make Dakine or Osprey hydration packs feel like Stone Age tech in my experience.

Deuter with air suspension is the way.
    https://www.deuter.com/int-en/shop/b...e-exp-air-14-3

Rode with mine today and was super comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Deuter with air suspension is the way.
    https://www.deuter.com/int-en/shop/b...e-exp-air-14-3

Rode with mine today and was super comfy.
    Are they still making the bladders with the superior closure tech? My wife got a Deuter a long time ago, and the bladder closure was brilliant.

Whatever pack I’m using I upgrade to the Osprey bladder with the Camelbak bite valve and the Osprey hose magnet.

However many are in a shit ton.

Ask the experts

I think the fundamental argument on hydration packs versus other water carrying methods revolves around style: do you want to constantly sip water while riding (often associated with racers, training, not wanting to get off due to time, or just preference of staying on the bike) or if you hydrate less frequently during breaks (more associated with shuttles, enduro, not worrying about segment time, maybe more social, taking a momentary break now and then, etc)

And that makes some sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This, X1000. Pisses me off every time I look at a bike I'm always between sizes despite being right at the top of the bell curve of averageness.

But yeah, I don't have anything useful to tell you re: your question. Keep whatever feels right.
    Statistically - you would want to split sizes right at the tip of the bell curve - that way you can produce two sizes that account for 80% of the riders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Statistically - you would want to split sizes right at the tip of the bell curve - that way you can produce two sizes that account for 80% of the riders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you want to produce the least number of frames sizes, that's a good plan. If you want your bikes to actually fit well for the majority of riders, it's a bad plan.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Are they still making the bladders with the superior closure tech? My wife got a Deuter a long time ago, and the bladder closure was brilliant.
    The bladders are actually made by Source. Deuter partnered with them eons ago instead of developing and making their own bladders.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/10-hydration-systems

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bad Strava data running Wahoo Bolt?

I got a bolt last week and have used it once on the MTB and once on the gravel bike before today. On the first ride I just ran the Bolt without any sensors using GPS for speed. Today I paired the Bolt with some garmin brand speed and cadence sensors I put on the MTB.

Rode a local loop twice where my PR on the downhill is 5:55. Figured today I would be a little slower because I hadn't ridden the trail all year. Still felt good on the bike and figured I would be in the 6:30 ballpark on the DH segment.

Finished the ride and saved to strava and the times on the DH came back at 16 minutes and 12 minutes. WTF??? No way. Uphill climbing segments were like 7-10 minutes slow too. No fucking way.

Could using a Garmin speed sensor throw off the data that much?

I have the wahoo speeed and cadence and put the on my gravel bike. Guess I need to swap from bike to bike to have accurate results?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I think the fundamental argument on hydration packs versus other water carrying methods revolves around style: do you want to constantly sip water while riding (often associated with racers, training, not wanting to get off due to time, or just preference of staying on the bike) or if you hydrate less frequently during breaks (more associated with shuttles, enduro, not worrying about segment time, maybe more social, taking a momentary break now and then, etc)

And that makes some sense to me.
    To me the choice is easy because I'd rather keep tools and extras in my pack than strapped to my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Got that Henty pack in the mail today. Pretty freakin slick. Will test it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    To me the choice is easy because I'd rather keep tools and extras in my pack than strapped to my bike.
    Me too, but how much of that stuff are you actually carrying? A tube, a pump, a multi tool, a quick link, a plug kit, and maybe a couple zip ties fits in a small fanny pack easily, and that's all I'm really trying to carry for repair gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

I got a bolt last week and have used it once on the MTB and once on the gravel bike before today. On the first ride I just ran the Bolt without any sensors using GPS for speed. Today I paired the Bolt with some garmin brand speed and cadence sensors I put on the MTB.

Rode a local loop twice where my PR on the downhill is 5:55. Figured today I would be a little slower because I hadn't ridden the trail all year. Still felt good on the bike and figured I would be in the 6:30 ballpark on the DH segment.

Finished the ride and saved to strava and the times on the DH came back at 16 minutes and 12 minutes. WTF??? No way. Uphill climbing segments were like 7-10 minutes slow too. No fucking way.

I have the wahoo speeed and cadence and put the on my gravel bike. Guess I need to swap from bike to bike to have accurate results?
    Numbers don’t lie, you are just getting older.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Numbers don’t lie, you are just getting older.
    And more dependent on gadgets. Gen X loves their gadgets. Sensors are for German cars.

Me I just do the pre-ride hydration thing and I have repair tools attached to all bikes - just squeeze tires on the way out the door and if they feel good off you go.

Yes I dont have every possible tool available - but if that means I have to walk home once every 5 years that’s worth not wearing any pack for those 5 years.

For all day backcountry rides it’s a different story - but really then the pack is for jacket, food, extra water, first aid kit - tools are still the same and are part of the bike.

I see no need for a shock pump while on a ride of any length but I’m no expert. If I come across someone who tried to fill their suspension using a regular pump I’m supposed to save them by carrying a shock pump every ride for my lifetime? Can’t they just gingerly ride their bikes out or walk? Doesn’t sound like type of rider that needs their suspension in top shape. I’ll gladly hand over a spare tube or tire plug etc

Don’t you want to get laid, maaan?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

This post brings the lulz.