Page 4 of 524 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Having (foolishly) attempted to keep up with simple while riding, I can only assume that his tire wear experience does not apply to the rest of us because he levitates over everything.
    There's something to be said for simply airing over everything. Especially sharp, pointy rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm always curious about people who say "I've ridden <insert shitty tire> for YEARS at 18psi, and I weigh 240lbs geared up, and I've never had a flat or lost any knobs."

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY PULL THIS OFF??

WRT to those Schwalbes: those pics do illustrate Schwalbe's knob-vomit fairly well.
    Yes, but I also struggle with people who constantly cut sidewalls and declare EXO fragile garbage.
    I suppose this is all the true embodiment of YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Yes, but I also struggle with people who constantly cut sidewalls and declare EXO fragile garbage.
    I don't cut sidewalls, but I'll pinch-flat EXO nine ways to Sunday. At least as a rear tire. Every time I rim-strike the HR2 I have in the back of my bike, I cringe... and wait for the tell-tale "pshhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound.

I don't cut sidewalls, but I'll pinch-flat EXO nine ways to Sunday. At least as a rear tire. Every time I rim-strike the HR2 I have in the back of my bike, I cringe... and wait for the tell-tale "pshhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound.
    Yeah, me too. Had my first sidewall slash in a really long time earlier this year, and it was because I was riding like an idiot through sharp rocks. Pinch flats are the problem, though I've had better luck running higher pressure and inserts.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I have all those extea tires because once Super Gravity came out I could ride a trail like Apex in Golden or Cpt Jack's in Moab and not give a fuck. I like traction. Dampf rules in Moab. Super grip but nice smooth rolling edge. You can climb up a wall like spider man. Magic Mary F/R next week in Mexico. Calling for rain. Gonna be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    YMMV.
    This is the answer to every "it doesn't happen to me, so it must not happen to others". Speed, terrain, skill, riding style, bike, rims, etc, etc. Too many variables to assume that everybody but "you" is full of shit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Yeah, me too. Had my first sidewall slash in a really long time earlier this year, and it was because I was riding like an idiot through sharp rocks. Pinch flats are the problem, though I've had better luck running higher pressure and inserts.
    Yup - I run "higher" pressure (though I refuse to run over 30psi) and choose beefier sidewall'd tires. Had pretty good luck for awhile now... 190lbs geared up, give or take, depending on bacon-ingestion levels.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Be careful and go slow, but that works pretty well if you're methodical about it.
    But yeah, if you fuck it up you can make a mess too.
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Helps to drink while you do it.
    Sounds just like mounting your own skis. Go slow, measure twice, hydrate along the way. Thanks!

You tried Cush Core yet? Sounds like you should.

WRT to those Schwalbes: those pics do illustrate Schwalbe's knob-vomit fairly well.
    Random ass knob angles and on every single one of them.

You tried Cush Core yet? Sounds like you should.
    Naw - I'd probably just go DH casing if I ever find that Michy's Adv Reinforced casing is insufficient. Actually - I'd probably go with an insert in the Rock'R2, because fuck all those other tires.

Cush Core works really, really well for helping no talent hacks avoid pinch flats. Needless to say, I love Cush Core.

Cush Core works really, really well for helping no talent hacks avoid pinch flats. Needless to say, I love Cush Core.
    It sounds like something that would be right up my alley as well...

Naw - I'd probably just go DH casing if I ever find that Michy's Adv Reinforced casing is insufficient. Actually - I'd probably go with an insert in the Rock'R2, because fuck all those other tires.
    That Michy is really damn good in dry conditions. I'm less stoked on it around here, but we ride on WAY different dirt.

But for real, I think you'd like Cush Core a lot.

That Michy is really damn good in dry conditions. I'm less stoked on it around here, but we ride on WAY different dirt.
    Yeah - I warn people that are likely to ride *any* mud that they should simply ignore my tire blathering...

But for real, I think you'd like Cush Core a lot.
    I'll probably try it after I flat my next rear tire. 'Cause I'm dumb like that.

So do DH casings. With the added benefit of better sidewall protection.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    60 TPI for DH vs 120 TPI for DD

Double down is more supple. My toilet paper needs to be supple!

For what it's worth, I kinda feel like if you are very good at picking and hitting lines, or you are very good at pointing the bike straight and deweighting and just floating through things, you have fewer sidewall/sideknob issues. It's when you are in the middle of those two styles (anywhere in the middle spectrum) that you see the most problems.

Or at least that's what I see. Of course influenced by weight and terrain as well.

For sure, but CC + Exo is a bit lighter if you can get away with that, and I think does a better job with pinch flats (at the expense of sidewall protection, for sure). They've both got their place.

For sure, but CC + Exo is a bit lighter if you can get away with that, and I think does a better job with pinch flats (at the expense of sidewall protection, for sure). They've both got their place.
    True, both as to the weight, and the pinch flats. But I can run substantially lower pressures with a DH casing. Exo + CC means I still need 27-28 psi in the rear, otherwise the tire rolls in hard corners. DH casing I can run 24 psi without tire roll or pinch flat problems, and it's not much heavier.

And really, unless it's super rocky, I'm fine with a DD in the rear at 25-26 psi. Still lower pressure than Exo + CC, it weighs about the same, and it has better sidewall protection.

Different people see different things in Simple’s photos.

Some say - unridable! Side nobs are ripped off and disintegrating.

Some say - ahh I could get another 500 miles out of that.

People have different bike feel, ride differently, ride different locations. Some are more perfectionists, some are more frugal... Truely YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

True, both as to the weight, and the pinch flats. But I can run substantially lower pressures with a DH casing. Exo + CC means I still need 27-28 psi in the rear, otherwise the tire rolls in hard corners. DH casing I can run 24 psi without tire roll or pinch flat problems, and it's not much heavier.

And really, unless it's super rocky, I'm fine with a DD in the rear at 25-26 psi. Still lower pressure than Exo + CC, it weighs about the same, and it has better sidewall protection.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that.

Though that Michy tire that skaredshtles likes so much only comes in one casing (which I'd compare to Exo+) so in that particular case, it's pretty much insert or bust if you want to beef things up.

<snip>
    Though that Michy tire that skaredshtles likes so much only comes in one casing
    Yeah. And don't get me started on that.

Fucking Michelin.

Wife just asked for Minion 2.6s with EXO+ on 32mm Stans rims with CC for her DH build. Will be curious to see how it all holds up.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Oh god.

Someone get Chupacabra a real tire. What wheel size are we talking here?
    27.5. I didn't expect great things from the Tomahawk, but I also didn't choose it. It came with a bike. So I'll use it until it's done, then I have a Minion SS that I want to try out.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'll probably try it after I flat my next rear tire. 'Cause I'm dumb like that.
    what pressure of the air do you place those at?

I'm definitely one of the OMG can't keep tires on types but with some of the burlier casings with real tire pressure I haven't really had a flat in a few years now. Thinking 900-1000g range tires, not dh casing because pedaling on those things sucks.

I run my rear tires at 30psi minimum for a 2.3-2.5 sized tire fwiw. I hope you're not one of the folks that thinks tubeless has a certain pressure that simply MUST be used and still can't figure out why they're tearing tires.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp