Page 49 of 530 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Hydration packs?

Damnit, now I am planning more 30-50 mile MTB rides. My ride yesterday I had a water stash halfway through at the far end trailhead so I was fine carrying only 2L for each 23 mile section. And it was cool out. On long rides if I can study a map and know there is some water source along the way I will just bring a life straw squeeze filter, but if not I would like to be able to carry 3L + snacks.

I got away from full backpacks a few years ago cause they were super hot usually. Which regular full backpack can carry 3L of water and has one of those really nifty waffle style back panels which let a lot of air flow through?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Hydration packs?

Damnit, now I am planning more 30-50 mile MTB rides. My ride yesterday I had a water stash halfway through at the far end trailhead so I was fine carrying only 2L for each 23 mile section. And it was cool out. On long rides if I can study a map and know there is some water source along the way I will just bring a life straw squeeze filter, but if not I would like to be able to carry 3L + snacks.

I got away from full backpacks a few years ago cause they were super hot usually. Which regular full backpack can carry 3L of water and has one of those really nifty waffle style back panels which let a lot of air flow through?
    I have a Deuter pack with a 3l bladder I user for long mtb rides. Its very German and overbuilt so its a bit heavy but it has a great system that suspends the pack over you and lets air in. You can feel the air pass over your back when you lean forward on fast descents. They must make lighter versions with the same air flow system.

Hydration packs?

Get a henty enduro pack. Wears more or less like a fanny pack, but will carry 3 liters plus food.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Get a henty enduro pack. Wears more or less like a fanny pack, but will carry 3 liters plus food.
    Looks sweet. Also looks like every photo, etc shows it with a half full water bladder. You can fit 3L and still carry stuff? My Dakine Hot Laps with 2L of water is pretty bulbous and sort of annoying to wear when that full off water. I am constantly trying to get it tighter around my waist while on the first few miles of the ride. The Henty harness would solve that it looks like assuming you can really carry 3L which is a lot of water.

Looks sweet. Also looks like every photo, etc shows it with a half full water bladder. You can fit 3L and still carry stuff? My Dakine Hot Laps with 2L of water is pretty bulbous and sort of annoying to wear when that full off water. I am constantly trying to get it tighter around my waist while on the first few miles of the ride. The Henty harness would solve that it looks like assuming you can really carry 3L which is a lot of water.
    I run mine with a 2.5 L bladder (+ a bottle on the frame, if needed). Works fine, and I think it'd still be good with 3L. It's much more stable than a regular fanny pack because of the shoulder straps.

There's definitely not as much space in there as a full size pack, but you can fit a fair amount of extra stuff. I'd often carry the full bladder, a small pump, a shock pump, a tube, tool, and a bunch of food. If you want to carry a bulky jacket or anything like that, it probably needs to get strapped to the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I run mine with a 2.5 L bladder (+ a bottle on the frame, if needed). Works fine, and I think it'd still be good with 3L. It's much more stable than a regular fanny pack because of the shoulder straps.

There's definitely not as much space in there as a full size pack, but you can fit a fair amount of extra stuff. I'd often carry the full bladder, a small pump, a shock pump, a tube, tool, and a bunch of food. If you want to carry a bulky jacket or anything like that, it probably needs to get strapped to the outside.
    Very cool, thanks. I have all the rest of my stuff either strapped to the bike (tube, spare hanger, plugs, CO2) or in the bike (EDC tool). I can't run any bottle cages on my frame so water becomes the main issue.

hydration packs were cool 15 yrs ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    hydration packs were cool 15 yrs ago
    Well yeah and they haven't been "cool" for quite some time, but I would rather have water on a 40 mile ride than be cool.

I’m not sure which Dueter air cool pack I’ve got or if it would hold a 3 liter reservoir but I’m in BZN and would sell it for $20. I can check it out and get pictures this afternoon when I’m off work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I bought an Osprey Raptor 14 in May and I'm extremely pleased with it. It's the most comfortable pack I've ever owned and the overall design is well thought out. I had a previous generation Raptor for about 5 years and I'm a big fan of their tool roll and magnetic bite valve. It ships with a 2.5 L reservoir but if you contact them they could probably upgrade you to the 3 L. Osprey is an awesome company in general. Look up their guarantee if you're not familiar with it.

Disclaimers: There was a 25% off deal running at the time, but it's still a really nice pack at list price. Also, I haven't been riding much so I've only used it a few times so far. But, I still feel like I've used enough to form a solid opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I’m not sure which Dueter air cool pack I’ve got or if it would hold a 3 liter reservoir but I’m in BZN and would sell it for $20. I can check it out and get pictures this afternoon when I’m off work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Much appreciated. I pulled trigger on that Henty last night, but might still be interested in your pack. Thanks.

Good to know about the Osprey. I was looking at those pretty seriously as well. I bought the Kamber 42 ski pack last year and it's definitely the nicest pack I own. They are really worth the extra cost for sure.

If you're not too concerned with weight and want a pack that will outlast you, the Kriega line is absolutely amazing. They are aimed at moto, but obviously work well for mtb. https://kriega.com/riderpacks/r15

I've been using an Osprey running pack this season and like it a lot. The dual front straps keep it stable. It only holds 1.5L though, so my limit is about 3h on warm days in conjunction with the single frame bottle.

Those of you who poo-poo hydration packs are welcome to join me on my next self supported 60 mile ride with just your single bottle and 1L fanny pack.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I have an Osprey Syncro 15, which I bought because it has the tensioned mesh style back like the Deuter Air pack I had previously. (The kind that keeps airspace between the pack and your back - not just some channels, but an actual gap you can put your hand through.). It's adequate, but I wish the pack compartment snugged down tighter - the compression straps don't do much. My pack also came with only a 2.5L bladder.

I looked at the Osprey Raptor and didn't like it. Well built but IMHO overdesigned - I thought the tool roll was useless, didn't like the hose routing or pocket layout. Mrs C has a Raven though - same pack in women's color/ size - and likes it.

I think the Deuter packs are better designed. Harder to find a deal on though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    <snip>
    Those of you who poo-poo hydration packs are welcome to join me on my next self supported 60 mile ride with just your single bottle and 1L fanny pack.
    I've been taking my Sawyer squeeze on rides that last more than a single frame bottle's worth of water. Not saying it would work for all people on all rides ('cause it obviously won't) - but it has been working well for me so I can avoid carrying 5+ lbs of water on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've been taking my Sawyer squeeze on rides that last more than a single frame bottle's worth of water. Not saying it would work for all people on all rides ('cause it obviously won't) - but it has been working well for me so I can avoid carrying 5+ lbs of water on my back.
    Yeah. The ride I did on Saturday was 20+ miles between water sources. Ideally just carry 2L and the small filter and call it good. I think this Henty pack will be perfect, because I love a fanny pack, but the dakine hot laps still slides down or you gotta cut blood flow off to the kidneys for it to stay put.

Basically the Henty is like my old Mountainsmith fanny + backpack straps from 20+ years ago. Wish I still had that thing.

<snip>
    Basically the Henty is like my old Mountainsmith fanny + backpack straps from 20+ years ago. Wish I still had that thing.
    For some reason, this is all I see when I look at that Henty...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    For some reason, this is all I see when I look at that Henty...

That's on you, dude.

NTTAWT.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    That's on you, dude.

NTTAWT.
    You're not wrong. And I own whatever that means...

Well yeah and they haven't been "cool" for quite some time, but I would rather have water on a 40 mile ride than be cool.
    well you can't keep selliing people the same old shit so now fanny packs are so cool

I have a 16yr old biking specific Dakine Apex which was really well made , lots of tool pockets and a helmet carrier but i don't think that model is around anymore, it still looks like new but you can't keep selling that same old shit, the Nomad was a slightly smaller version, good price cuz junior talked the dakine rep into a smoking deal

I find that the logic behind needing a backpack is kind of circular. If I wear a backpack, I get way hotter, which means I drink way more water, which means I need to carry a bigger pack. If I run a fanny pack, I don't get nearly as hot, so I don't need to drink as much water, so I don't need to carry as much water.

Which is why I like that Henty - still carries a lot of water, but I don't get too hot. And it doesn't smack me in the back of the head off of jumps.

most of my riding is in cold weather straight up in 1st gear for a couple hrs with a 40 min down so lately I been pre loading on water going packless and just rehydrating at the craft brew but for the long rides i need the good pack

Not sure what the point is of these fanny packs with a bladder in them... if you going to carry a bladders worth of water, you need shoulder straps.

The smaller fanny packs that have a water bottle holder make more since to me... I have the smaller 2L hot laps. Shorty bottle in that, bottle on the frame; that’s enough for me for a 3hr ride. Anything longer I take a pack. Anything longer I likely need a snack in that pack too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Not sure what the point is of these fanny packs with a bladder in them... if you going to carry a bladders worth of water, you need shoulder straps.

The smaller fanny packs that have a water bottle holder make more since to me... I have the smaller 2L hot laps. Shorty bottle in that, bottle on the frame; that’s enough for me for a 3hr ride. Anything longer I take a pack. Anything longer I likely need a snack in that pack too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It starts to get a little bouncy if you put the full 1.5L in it, but the Evoc Hip Pack Race 3L works pretty well with 1L or so in the bladder. That plus a beer in the side pocket is enough to get me through pretty long rides as long as it's not stupid hot out.

Good to know about the Osprey. I was looking at those pretty seriously as well. I bought the Kamber 42 ski pack last year and it's definitely the nicest pack I own. They are really worth the extra cost for sure.
    One vote in for the Osprey Raptor 10. I've had one for 10+ years and love it. The older gen pack wasn't particularly over-engineered but had all the useful functions, comfy waist and chest strap, honeycombed breathable back panel, couple of zippered pockets. I have a 3L bladder in there but it's a bit too bulky when full so if I'm going for a really long ride I'll supplement with a water bottle. Got me trough a 40 miles 5 hour ride last week with no water sources anywhere.
    I look like a huge kook on my best day so having a pack and associated sweaty back doesn't bother me one bit.