Page 3 of 521 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the experts

That Tomahawk looks like a tire that was designed in MS paint using clip art. Which Schwalbe tire did it replace?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    That Tomahawk looks like a tire that was designed in MS paint using clip art. Which Schwalbe tire did it replace?
    IIRC it was a Nobby Nic.

Which, yeah... sucks giant donkey nuts.

But I'm very surprised that a Tomahawk is much better. Must be the compound. 'Cause you're right about the tread. My wife has one as a rear tire, and it's fine for her use, since she doesn't corner, or go fast, or ride any rox.

Oh god.

Someone get Chupacabra a real tire. What wheel size are we talking here?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    True with a crescent wrench.
    That simple uh? I have 2 slightly bent rotors and I've been aligning the calipers to get around the issue because I'm worried if I start trying to bend the rotor back I'll end up with a huge wobble.
    Guess I'll give the crescent wrench a try tonight...

Oh god.

Someone get Chupacabra a real tire. What wheel size are we talking here?
    IIRC, he rides loose over hard for the most part.

I have no suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That simple uh? I have 2 slightly bent rotors and I've been aligning the calipers to get around the issue because I'm worried if I start trying to bend the rotor back I'll end up with a huge wobble.
    Guess I'll give the crescent wrench a try tonight...
    Be careful and go slow, but that works pretty well if you're methodical about it.

But yeah, if you fuck it up you can make a mess too.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    IIRC, he rides loose over hard for the most part.

I have no suggestions...

If it's 26" I for sure have some charity tires to keep him from dying. Maybe 27.5" too, I'd have to dig through the pile.

Be careful and go slow, but that works pretty well if you're methodical about it.

Helps to drink while you do it.

Ask the experts

I happen to like the Nobby Nic as a rear tire for out west... good combo of decent grip and fast rolling.
    Last edited by smmokan; 10-23-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I happen to like the Nobby Nic as a rear tire for out west... good combo of decent grip and fast rolling.
    And by the 5th ride, it rolls even faster because all the knobs have ripped off.

Been on nobby nics since 2006. Never a knob ripped off. I'm so tired of this discussion. Early dampfs had issues. Let it go. It isn't 2006 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And by the 5th ride, it rolls even faster because all the knobs have ripped off.
    Almost as bad as the old Maxxis Mobsters, except Maxxis fixed that problem...20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

The Dirty Dan is the only tire that they make that I like at all, so I'm hardly a fanboy, but it does seem like their newer addix rubber has at least solved the magic disappearing Schwalbe side knobs of old.

They've still got a lot to answer for tread pattern wise though.

Both of these tips are right on target. Slow and methodical.

Clean both the rotor and pads well w denatured alcohol before attempting to straighten and make sure all appropriate bolts are snug.

I protect the rotor with one or two layers of paper towel before applying the wrench. Takes a few tries to get the feel for how much pressure to apply. I try to focus bending energy on the area near the rotor spoke if possible.

I don’t shoot for perfection, just try to get them straight enough to not rub at all. My test is, will the wheel spin out and fall back to the hub pawl when rotation stops. Good luck.

Rob
    That Don't Make No Sense

Slow and methodical is how you start. Then you realize your tiny "adjustments" aren't doing shit, so you get frustrated, and do some real bending. Now, I just skip past slow and methodical straight to real bending.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Slow and methodical is how you start. Then you realize your tiny "adjustments" aren't doing shit, so you get frustrated, and do some real bending. Now, I just skip past slow and methodical straight to real bending.
    Which is why I mentioned that it helps to be drinking.

If you ride Moab every day, sure. But the new Addix compound is a legit improvement.

Here’s something for you... all flats on our Chasing Epic trips this year have been a Maxxis Aggressor rear tire. Not a single Schwalbe.

Another data point. Here are 3 leftover Nobby Nics. Previous generation which wore out more quickly. Pace Star triple compound. Most worn on the right, least on the left. Show me one single torn off knob.

Here is the previous generation Dampf that had the reputation of tearing off knobs. Just a less attractive wear pattern IMO because of the Trail Star compound

Second photo is Pace Star. Wearing just fine.

New generation Dampf. Super Gravity orange compound. Wear from being rear tire

Magic Mary
    Left is first generation super gravity. Still kicking ass as a front tire

I've got Wicked Will, Muddy Mary, and Big Betty DH tires to show as well. Schwalbe no longer makes them but no torn knobs on those as well.

I'm always curious about people who say "I've ridden <insert shitty tire> for YEARS at 18psi, and I weigh 240lbs geared up, and I've never had a flat or lost any knobs."

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY PULL THIS OFF??

WRT to those Schwalbes: those pics do illustrate Schwalbe's knob-vomit fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Been on nobby nics since 2006. Never a knob ripped off. I'm so tired of this discussion. Early dampfs had issues. Let it go. It isn't 2006 anymore.
    Except its still happening to $90 Schwalbe tires. Just had to swap out a 10 ride old Hans Dampf at the shop, all cornering knobs were rendered useless.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'm always curious about people who say "I've ridden <insert shitty tire> for YEARS at 18psi, and I weigh 240lbs geared up, and I've never had a flat or lost any knobs."

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY PULL THIS OFF??
    Gaping
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Except its still happening to $90 Schwalbe tires. Just had to swap out a 10 ride old Hans Dampf at the shop, all cornering knobs were rendered useless.
    Apparently you must be doing "it" wrong... whatever "it" is.

Having (foolishly) attempted to keep up with simple while riding, I can only assume that his tire wear experience does not apply to the rest of us because he levitates over everything.