Page 394 of 524 FirstFirst ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Gorilla tape sucks when you have to remove it. Sucks really bad.

I’ve had good luck with DT Swiss and MucOff rim tape.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    What's everyone using for tubeless tape?
    I've been rocking 1" Gorilla tape.

Any reason tubeless tape is better? Anything out there better than Stans (which I think is useless).
    I like the DT Swiss tape. It's got a little bit of stretch to it (helps conform to rim profile), is sufficiently sticky but doesn't leave residue, and is in a variety of widths. You want tape that's rim internal width +2mm to go edge to edge (so 32mm for a 30mm IW rim). The reason not to use Gorilla is that it leaves nasty residue and is thicker than tubeless tape, which can make mounting certain tires harder.

I've heard that DT is just rebranded TESA strapping tape, but any time I've looked into finding that in the right width or flavor, I've given up and paid the extra for DT. I only go through like 2 rolls per year between 2 bikes, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

I've considered trying other tapes but mainly just use stans because we have it in bulk in like every width. Have never really had a problem with it going on and sticking and working. You do have to pull it pretty hard to get it to stretch and conform to the rim bed I suppose. I did try the snap in rim strips on my new trek road wheels but probably wouldn't do that again- it's a little thicker and heavier than two wraps of tape and made the tires really tight to get on and seated.

My old shop had an added "gorilla tape" service charge to remove the tape and residue and apply proper tubeless tape.
    Customer: "why is this service so expensive?"
    Service writer: "because another shop installed a wrong product, making our job more difficult, if you're not happy about it go speak to that other shop"

I tried Kapton but it’s so thin and can be hard to work with. With Stan’s, at least an old roll I’ve had for a while, I always seemed to have air tunneling issues at the valve hole overlap, couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, and/or it didn’t last multiple tire changes. So then I did Kapton over Stan’s and that combo has survived many tire changes …

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

What's everyone using for tubeless tape?
    I've been rocking 1" Gorilla tape.

Any reason tubeless tape is better? Anything out there better than Stans (which I think is useless).
    On top of having indistinguishable performance and being cheaper and available everywhere, Gorilla Tape is an absolute pleasure to apply especially compared to shit like Muc Off or Stans. It stretches, and it sticks. Removal is nothing some brake cleaner can't handle. It also seems more resilient to tire levers so there's that.

We’ve been using primarily Whisky tape for the past year after using Stans (and breaking the old dog Gorilla Tape habits of one of my mechanics) Good price, good stretch, more supple thank Stan’s.
    We did a Tubeless Tape Shootout, it came down to Muc Off and Whisky, but Whisky nipped out the win, as it was a little more supple.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The main issue I’ve had with Gorilla Tape is that the adhesive likes to ooze out the side, resulting in the tape sticking to the bead of the tire. This can make tires hard to remove and increases the chances of the tape getting pulled off with the tire.

That said, Gorilla Tape is very sticky. I haven’t found anything better when taping a rim where the rim bed is dented. Other tubeless tape I’ve tried won’t stick into the dents very well.

But on a clean, non-dented rim, I prefer proper tubeless tape like Stans. It sticks better if you heat it up with a hair dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

X2 on this whole post but surprisingly, the best stuff I've used is the Slime tape. It has great stretch and is slightly thicker/stronger than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

This has been somewhat covered, but the search function and I are not getting along very well today.

Looking to go from 200mm centerline sram 6 bolt rotors front and rear to 220 mm front and rear for ytdecoy with rsc code brakes. Would prefer a thicker rotor for earlier pad contact.

Recommendations please?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 04-04-2023 at 05:08 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Ask the experts

Not very many manufacturers make a 230.. do you mean a 220?

Sram centerline rotors in 220 are actually 2mm thick. All other sizes in the centerline are 1.85mm. HS2 rotors are 2mm thick across all sizes.

I just redid my brakes and went with Galfer rotors per recommended steeze factor here. Was able to find Shark rotors (2mm) online for the same price as centerlines (very good deal).

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Not very many manufacturers make a 230.. do you mean a 220?

Sram centerline rotors in 220 are actually 2mm thick. All other sizes in the centerline are 1.85mm. HS2 rotors are 2mm thick across all sizes.

I just redid my brakes and went with Galfer rotors per recommended steeze factor here. Was able to find Shark rotors (2mm) online for the same price as centerlines (very good deal).

Fat fingers, meant 220. Thx!

Any issues with the galfers height cutting into the brake pads? Someone mentioned that in the past.

No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Fat fingers, meant 220. Thx!

Any issues with the galfers height cutting into the brake pads? Someone mentioned that in the past.

Just got them installed so not sure on wear yet. Have them mounted with A4s and and NSB adapters, seems like they’re lined up perfect with the pads but time will tell.

Sram HS2 rotors are treating me very well after many seasons struggling with warping, cooking, and squealing rotors. I have come to believe the rotor cutout design makes a huge difference, and generally start from the assumption that Sram has put much effort into perfecting this to beat their noisy brake reputation.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

I get absolutely roasted by my so called ‘friends’ here, but this is a comprehensive read on the subject!

https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threa...esidue.290095/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I made a spreadsheet about 4 years ago comparing hydration drinks. Dee Hubbs would have been quite proud. Base gatorade sucks, by the way. It's a sweet drink for sugar cravers, not a sports drink. Anyway, I was looking for two things - a low sugar daily hydration mix (since giardia I have had some issue with hydration and absorption. Pedialyte is the one people know), and a during exercise hydration drink (these have more calories/sugar in them.)

I compared calories, sugar, types of sugar, salts, potassium etc, from a number of high and low end manufacturers. I included cost per ounce, normalizing delivered non-water content. This is obviously a little bit of an art because some products have a bit more potassium to sugar ration, or a bit lower salt to fructose or glucose ratio, etc. I didn't care if it was organic or not. I have access to prodeals for many high end drinks, so for some of those I used my price rather than the retail price. I should also admit that, knowing some of the high end manufacturer's personally, I don't put a ton of stock in the difference in "quality" of ingredient.

Having done all that I was pretty shocked at the result. I've always used stuff like Skratch, Osmo, Clif, etc. However, there is a product out there called Gatorade Endurance. Very hard to find actually, but available in bulk powder on amazon, and it's what they actually make for their athletes. When mixed at recommended levels it is pretty ideal for active, during workout hydration. When mixed at half the recommended it is almost perfect for a daily hydration drink. And it's about 60 cents per 12 oz exercise serving and 30 cents per 12 oz daily hydration serving.

Nothing else comes even close.

That's what I recommend.
    Bumping this post from the past.

Is it this one, EWG? It's a bit smaller than bulk - "only" 32oz, and I assume 1 scoop = 1 ounce - but figure the product could have changed since 2021.

https://a.co/d/5OIHeR9

Fueling science is changing quite a bit in the past few years.
    Osmolality is less important than it used to be. Right now it's all about multiple transportable carbohydrates.
    We've realized that glucose transport tops out at about 90g / hr. BUT, you can also shove sugar through the gut using Fructose transporters as well AND when the glucose transporters are saturated, the body is able to use the extra Fructose.

Table sugar is - conveniently - 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Somewhere between the 1:1 ratio and a 2:1 glucose: fructose seems to work well for most athletes.

All the powdered gatorades are fine - they're in the 2:1 to 1:1 range above. They have a few extra ingredients that aren't really needed and the sodium contents may or may not be right for individual athletes (but this is the case with all products).

Last weekend I did 5 hours using nothing by table sugar (3 cups) and sodium citrate (3 tsp.) dissolved in water (3L). This was great for 120g / 480 Calories per hour.

Fueling science is changing quite a bit in the past few years.

Table sugar
    My man! I'm on team table sugar as well. I tried mixing maltodextrin and fructose and then figured out that a 25# bag of Dixie Crystals is only $23.
    My recipe is 600g sugar, 1 packet of Kool Aid, 10g salt-- 80g of that per big bottle. I take little ziplocks pre-portioned for refills at water taps along the way. It dissolves nearly instantly in cold water--don't believe otherwise.

It baffles me that people still buy what is basically the same thing for multiple dollars per serving. Stop doing that, people!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

You guys are just like Walter White…. Mixing shit in the lab, love it!

Maybe we need a make your own fucking hydration thread similar to the bindings….

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Y

Maybe we need a make your own fucking hydration thread similar to the bindings….

It would be more useful than the crock pot chain wax thread.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Hmmmmm it’s spring so perhaps it’s time for some more chain queso talk

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Hmmmmm it’s spring so perhaps it’s time for some more chain queso talk

I have the crockpot cooking today!

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Blasphemy

However many are in a shit ton.

Price police question, what would you think current (saturated) market would sell a 2019 S-works Stumpjumper 29 size L at $3500?

Carbon Roval wheels, sworks bar, Eagle Carbon crankset, X01 drivetrain including pretty new x01 cassette, Guide RSC 4-pot, 150mm Spec dropper, Ti railed Wtb rocket V, pretty well used Lyrik.

Also have and would throw in for full $$
    Fox Factory FIt4 34 130mm + OEM link and Fox Factory DPS. This setup converts to 130/120 ST config.

Parting out work better separately for forks, wheels etc? Not desperate to sell, but would be good to have something to show my wife for trying. Could hang onto few parts for a future kid bike build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Price police question, what would you think current (saturated) market would sell a 2019 S-works Stumpjumper 29 size L at $3500?

Carbon Roval wheels, sworks bar, Eagle Carbon crankset, X01 drivetrain including pretty new x01 cassette, Guide RSC 4-pot, 150mm Spec dropper, Ti railed Wtb rocket V, pretty well used Lyrik.

Also have and would throw in for full $$
    Fox Factory FIt4 34 130mm + OEM link and Fox Factory DPS. This setup converts to 130/120 ST config.

Parting out work better separately for forks, wheels etc? Not desperate to sell, but would be good to have something to show my wife for trying. Could hang onto few parts for a future kid bike build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curious if you'd entertain a frame sale