Page 385 of 532 FirstFirst ... 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,625 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Time for seasonal refresh of a 2021 X2. Pain in the ass or pretty reasonable? Quick search and I'm seeing there might be a need for some proprietary tools and what not, so might punt if it's gonna project that ends up costing a bunch anyway. Also thinking it might be worth it to send to Diaz to smooth out the back end, though not sure how much difference that would make on a shock that is tuned specifically for the bike, if not the rider. Cost isn't much more than sending to Fox.
    X2 is complex and plenty of special tools.
    Send it in.

What's the collective's current choice for a strong, light 165 mm crankset? Price is less of a priority than usual, but don't tell me E-wings!

Bonus if it comes in raw AL, or something else resistant to rubbing since typically my cranks lose all their paint right away.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    What's the collective's current choice for a strong, light 165 mm crankset? Price is less of a priority than usual, but don't tell me E-wings!

Bonus if it comes in raw AL, or something else resistant to rubbing since typically my cranks lose all their paint right away.
    If XTR is your answer - I'm your huckleberry.
    Bought some and after 2 rides realized I didn't like the shorty short.

They're 9120 12speed / boost / no chainring
    Pro-ish pricing.

5Devs maybe-they come in raw AL. I have a set going on my new bike so if they suck, join me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Honestly, the newer RF Turbine is pretty hard to beat for the money. Or Hope if you want something blingier.

I am considering a set of Garbaruk cranks for my MTB. I really like the way they look but they probably aren't as bomber as eeWings: https://www.garbaruk.com/garbaruk-xc-crankset.html

Rotor Kapic is another option.

Praxis is an option if you're OK with carbon. Very underrated IMO. They're reliable and well made.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post

Pro-ish pricing.
    I'll get in on those if cy passes.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I'll get in on those if cy passes.
    Go for it! I'm passing!

Not looking to actually buy anything for another month or so, and so far this thread has just (unfortunately) convinced me to get another affordable set of Race Face cranks. Maybe I'll sand blast them raw or something.

I wish I could make the Garbaruks work, but I have a bad history of bending cranks, and these will be going on a 140 mm bike.

Maybe I'll sand blast them raw or something.
    I know a guy who's stripped a bunch of ano parts to raw with oven cleaner and they've come out looking really good. Seems less likely to fuck up splines and threads too.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I know a guy who's stripped a bunch of ano parts to raw with oven cleaner and they've come out looking really good. Seems less likely to fuck up splines and threads too.
    I did that with some anodized parts back in the 90s. Worked OK. Took a couple of coatings, and I'm sure what I rinsed off outside with a hose wasn't good for the environment...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I went with the new Raceface Eras on mine and Mrs Roxtar's new builds. Too soon to have any constructive comments but so far, so good.
    The "literal" breakdown Youtube reviews of them on Fanatik are pretty impressive
    Those new 5Devs are gorgeous, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post

Pro-ish pricing.
    Last time I picked up an XTR crankset I literally said “Holy Fuck that’s light!”
    I’d buy that shit if I needed one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Last time I picked up an XTR crankset I literally said “Holy Fuck that’s light!”
    I’d buy that shit if I needed one.
    And they're actually one of the heavier options amongst high zoot cranksets. But yeah, I trust those things to hold up much better than the carbon stuff from Sram or Raceface. And they're about 1/3 the price of EEwings.

Ask the experts

Race Face Aeffect R cranks are 7050 AL, relatively light, and are dirt cheap even when they’re not on sale, which is often. I’ve beat on several pairs of the regular and “R” models and have never had an issue.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Race Face Aeffect R cranks are 7050 AL, relatively light, and are dirt cheap even when they’re not on sale, which is often. I’ve beat on several pairs of the regular and “R” models and have never had an issue.
    The Aeffect were stock on my yeti 5.5 , the splined chain ring/ spindle interface allowed the chain ring to go small so i went down to 28T, they come in 3 lengths, seemed like a fine product to me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post

That's a in interesting move. Will have to try that sometime. For now, I just hit the front and sides of each crank with the palm sander and 120 grit. Quick and easy. Now my wife can't give me shit for my wild heel rub on my cranks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	448850

While we're on the subject of cranks, I checked through my parts stash at the workshop today and I've ended up with a couple of extra sets of eeWings. Before I put both of them on bikes I seldom ride, I figured I'd offer them here. Feel free to PM me, I have 170mm and 175mm, both new and glad to offer a mag deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    While we're on the subject of cranks, I checked through my parts stash at the workshop today and I've ended up with a couple of extra sets of eeWings. Before I put both of them on bikes I seldom ride, I figured I'd offer them here. Feel free to PM me, I have 170mm and 175mm, both new and glad to offer a mag deal.
    Damn, that’s an impressive parts bin to have multiple eeWings….. I have a wide variety of random ass bolts, washers, 1 brake adapter and 2 feet of cable

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Damn, that’s an impressive parts bin to have multiple eeWings….. I have a wide variety of random ass bolts, washers, 1 brake adapter and 2 feet of cable

I have a short piece of housing that can maybe go with your cable... at this rate we'll have enough parts for a spare part build by 2045
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I could use a few more bolts, running low on M6s.

My parts bin is mainly inventory I purchase for customer builds, sometimes I end up carrying more stuff than I'd like and if there isn't an immediate plan to use it I'd rather move it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I could use a few more bolts, running low on M6s.

My parts bin is mainly inventory I purchase for customer builds, sometimes I end up carrying more stuff than I'd like and if there isn't an immediate plan to use it I'd rather move it on.
    For one pair of EEWings in 170mm, I can offer a compelling trade of 69 M6 bolts in lengths from 10 to 30mm. Many of them are not even stripped out!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    For one pair of EEWings in 170mm, I can offer a compelling trade of 69 M6 bolts in lengths from 10 to 30mm. Many of them are not even stripped out!
    That’s a nice offer. Pinned should jump on it.

If I wanted to upgrade a gravel bike with mechanical discs and claris 2x8 on it to a 1x system like GRX or Apex 1, what am I looking at? Arm I going to have to rebuild the wheel around a whole new hub? Would I need a new crankset? All the compatibility stuff is just so confusing for someone who only sort of pays attention.

The other option is to just upgrade to a new Apex 1 Journeyman which would be about $1K more than this used one I'm looking at.

If you already own the bike in question, upgrading could be a reasonable choice. You likely wouldn't need a new hub but you'd be a bit limited on the cassette choices.

If you don't own the bike yet... do yourself a favor and buy something that's more or less setup how you want it. Buying a used bike and immediately upgrading it is less cost effective than waiting a few weeks for a used bike that's setup how you want it to crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If I wanted to upgrade a gravel bike with mechanical discs and claris 2x8 on it to a 1x system like GRX or Apex 1, what am I looking at? Arm I going to have to rebuild the wheel around a whole new hub? Would I need a new crankset? All the compatibility stuff is just so confusing for someone who only sort of pays attention.

The other option is to just upgrade to a new Apex 1 Journeyman which would be about $1K more than this used one I'm looking at.

Yeah. Certainly a bit less money but maybe not worth the hassle. Trying to gauge the pain in the ass quotient