Page 379 of 524 FirstFirst ... 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,475 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The ring around the bolt doesn't look like it has any tool interface to install it. Those might need a crank extractor.
    Ah, yeah, you're right. I didn't think RF had made a non self extracting crank in a long time. But maybe I'm wrong. But regardless, yeah, looks like it needs an extractor tool.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Ah, yeah, you're right. I didn't think RF had made a non self extracting crank in a long time. But maybe I'm wrong. But regardless, yeah, looks like it needs an extractor tool.
    Yeah, news to me too but that's what it looks like.

My wifes 5010 has a Raceface crank that looks identical that requires a crank puller.... but it is a 2018 vintage.

Ask the experts

Rf made the turbine and aeffect in both cinch and non-cinch (requiring the puller) for a few years. Only way of really telling is by attempting to remove as far as I can tell

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Yeah, the new’ish RF Aeffect cranks are not self extracting. I think the older Aeffects were. If no 10mm outer cap/bolt, then not s.e. Here’s a YouTube video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXv9CtoBcE

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Is the crown race one of the split ones that just slides on easily? I've had issues with those sometimes.
    Yes, which was a bit surprising. I didn't know they made slotted ones. If that is the cause of my problems it will be replaced soon anyway

^thank you everyone. Definitely more of a pia for me. Need more tools. This may be a support the local lbs job as I'm really questioning how the bash guard will attach. Doesn't look like there is room based on that video. Idk

when I swapped the chain ring (30 to 28) on my Yeti I got the Affect crank off by holding the bike off the floor by the chainring and gently tapping the spindle with a ballpeen, it didn't take much, kinda ghetto but it worked and no damage to spindle

I thot the Race face affect product was a pretty good one
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-04-2022 at 06:22 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can get a self extracting bolt to install on those Race Face cranks... I cant remember which one fits anymore but I think Its the small one that has the white washer.

https://www.performancebike.com/race...f30019/p308671
    https://www.performancebike.com/race...f30018/p308672
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Who knows about experimenting with loose-ish spoke tension?
    My stiff as fuck unforgiving Reynolds BK (Black Label) wheels have had 4 broken spokes in 2 seasons, which has me wondering if the stiffness is contributory.
    So this round of repair, I’ve detensioned the whole thing. As I build it back up, I’m wondering if a less stiff average tension is worth trying.
    In the past I’ve always tried to get pretty close to max tension for my rim/spoke combo.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Who knows about experimenting with loose-ish spoke tension?
    My stiff as fuck unforgiving Reynolds BK (Black Label) wheels have had 4 broken spokes in 2 seasons, which has me wondering if the stiffness is contributory.
    So this round of repair, I’ve detensioned the whole thing. As I build it back up, I’m wondering if a less stiff average tension is worth trying.
    In the past I’ve always tried to get pretty close to max tension for my rim/spoke combo.

Under tensioned wheels are going to break more spokes, more quickly. When loaded, the spokes will go completely slack and then snap back to tension, which puts a ton of stress on them. Running higher tension keeps them from going slack, which actually reduces stress / fatigue.

If you want to break less spokes, relace it with something thicker.

Yeah I had those wheels and I believe they use Sapim C-Xrays. They make a light wheel but maybe too light for that application.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I need help with valuing an older bike I am looking to buy from a friend. It is a 2014 Raleigh Tamland steel gravel bike. 2x10 105 with mechanical discs and stock parts but potentially nicer wheels probably in good shape since he didn’t ride it much. These were $1500 new and he bought it on a team deal for less. Looking to use it as a commuter with a rack and fenders since my crux doesn’t have mounts.
    Bicycle blue book says $400 but that seems crazy low for the market here. I want to give him a fair price but am also a cheap ass and he’s too lazy to sell it to anyone else. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I need help with valuing an older bike I am looking to buy from a friend. It is a 2014 Raleigh Tamland steel gravel bike. 2x10 105 with mechanical discs and stock parts but potentially nicer wheels probably in good shape since he didn’t ride it much. These were $1500 new and he bought it on a team deal for less. Looking to use it as a commuter with a rack and fenders since my crux doesn’t have mounts.
    Bicycle blue book says $400 but that seems crazy low for the market here. I want to give him a fair price but am also a cheap ass and he’s too lazy to sell it to anyone else. Thoughts?
    $700? Assuming good condition all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Any of you running 2.3mm (thickness) Rotors with Shimano brakes?
    Gonna go ahead and try it, but I have read it might be a bit too thick.

(I hear that all the time. Yup, sure I do)
    Last edited by rideit; 12-13-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Market for used bikes seems to have dropped off a cliff the last few months. Sold a mojo3 recently. Despite very decent price only had 2 legit inquiries about it in a month, ended up settling on 25% off already good price. By contrast end of 2020 I sold two 10 yr old MTBs, ibis mojo sl and a Knolly. Asked what I thought was on the high side and got a couple dozen emails within a day. Both went for asking price. Bottom line is I'd say the KBB price is fair these days, if buddy is fine with it.

I was just at a lbs and sales are way off, but more "normal" looking back pre-covid. It's been such a shitshow they were saying they don't know how anyone in town doesn't have a new bike or two. They expect the used bike market to be flooded come spring. Everyone that bought thought riding a bike would be a great idea...until they realized it actually takes effort.

Ask the experts

Where is the best place to score a used bike? I’d love to grab something high end from spesh or trek. Tarmac SL7 or Aethos or an Emonda in a 54, will not buy anything from pros closet.
    Go!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Literally anywhere right now. If it doesn’t sell right away, lowball that shit. If the seller thinks it’s still 2021, walk away and try the next one.

However many are in a shit ton.

I'm in the early stages of day dreaming up a winter frankenbike project. The current pipedream is a factory direct chinese carbon hardtail frame, run rigid and singlespeed. Would be used for mashing on a commute and some occasional trail use. However I kind of would like to have a higher gear ratio for fast pavement riding and a lower one for trails.

A) Would a single cog, chain tensioner and double chainring get the job done relatively smoothly?
    B) Am I an idiot? Have I just combined the worst parts of singlespeed and geared bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    I'm in the early stages of day dreaming up a winter frankenbike project. The current pipedream is a factory direct chinese carbon hardtail frame, run rigid and singlespeed. Would be used for mashing on a commute and some occasional trail use. However I kind of would like to have a higher gear ratio for fast pavement riding and a lower one for trails.

A) Would a single cog, chain tensioner and double chainring get the job done relatively smoothly?
    B) Am I an idiot? Have I just combined the worst parts of singlespeed and geared bikes?
    You could just put a regular drivetrain on and promise yourself not to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post

If you have to pick one derailleur and you pick the front there’s something wrong with you.

I used to have a bike set up like that with no derailleurs or chain tensioner. If I remember correctly you need to have the same number of teeth between both combos front and back. I did it with horizontal dropout and had to undo those every time I wanted to switch between trail and street mode but it would be easier with a chain tensioner. Search "dinglespeed", it was a thing at one time.

B, I'm gonna go with B.

Do two cogs on the back and adjust as needed.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1671122090.508777.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	438342

White Industries ENO hub and Dinglespeed 17/19 freewheel.