Page 350 of 521 FirstFirst ... 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 ... LastLast
Results 8,726 to 8,750 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    What sort of pins are they? I realized a *massive* difference between my old Xpedo Spry pedals with their shitty stock pins and my new Tenet Occults which have grub screws. HUGE difference.
    Yea but what is a Spry for? XC and fatbiking. That is why it weighs 270g and is made of soft light magnesium. How much pin do you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

What sort of pins are they? I realized a *massive* difference between my old Xpedo Spry pedals with their shitty stock pins and my new Tenet Occults which have grub screws. HUGE difference.
    Stock pins but these are some of the biggest gnarliest pedals out there. Feel like they are still rough to the touch and not rounded much. None missing either

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Yea but what is a Spry for? XC and fatbiking. That is why it weighs 270g and is made of soft light magnesium. How much pin do you need?
    Well, my Spry's were for everything I was doing. None of which was fat biking, for sure. And for what I was doing, it would have been nice to have more better pins. And of course their "decent" pins were never in stock.

Perhaps this should go in the "Ask the dumbasses" thread.

I think the BB on a Santa cruz might be extra low also with an E bike I just keep pedaling to keep the motor on the boil, in < a year a lot of the pins on my Chesters were just completely gone. So I bought another pair of Chesters for redundancy but this time i took half the pins out of one side so I can hit rocks on the smooth pinless side or foot on the smooth side and i got a whole nuther set of pins to replace them with next year,

also this time i got black cuz brightly colored pedals don't look so bright when they are beat-up & dirty
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-19-2022 at 12:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I keep getting my feet blown off the pedals on flats. Have been riding flats for ever, never clips.
    I have brand new 5'10 Free rider pros and fairly fresh Chromag Dagga's. I'm also on a fairly new (full summer on it) Bronson.
    I've never really expereinced this before, like blowing off on easy blue tech trails, and sometimes even on climb trails it just slips off. I replaced my old freerider pros cos they were sliding around and were pretty punched.
    Trying to figure out if its the pin placement on the pedals, my shitty riding, the shoes, the bike. I just remember getting new 5'10s and barely being able to move my foot on the pedal, to the point it was sketchy. Definitely not the case now.
    Let me guess, the Freerider Pro Prime Blues? What 5.10s did you run before? There are lots of reports of the Prime Blues having inferior rubber to older Freerider Pros. My set are definitely a distant third in grip compared to my Impact Pros and Ride Concept Tallacs. Something about the sole shape & rubber is just not good.

I've messed around with both pins and grubs on my Occults. I find I like the grub screws better on very soft rubber (Impact Pros) and/or rubber where there are holes developing in it. I like pins in fresher or harder rubber (the Ride Concepts).

Not sure if I should post this in here of the "gravel nerds" thread.

Thinking of converting my old 2008 Yeti 575 into a gravel/townie bike; it doesn't have much resale value and I think it will have more value to me repurposed this way. For bike paths, sometimes paved and sometimes gravel, and to keep as a backup bike if my current mt bike is down or if I have a guest. There are lots of these types of paths around my new house so I expect to give it a good amount of use.

I know I want to get non-knobby tires, any suggestions? I saw this tire with a description that fits perfectly, but don't know if that's the tire I should get. Do I need to post details of my rims for you to answer?

I know I should get a new big chainring (since the old one was original and really just a giant toothy bash guard), what do I need to know to get a replacement?

Are there any other changes I should make to make the bike better suited to this purpose? Like, change the stem to change the riding position, that kind of thing? Or should I just slap new tires and a new big ring and call it good?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    <snip> Or should I just slap new tires and a new big ring and call it good?
    Do this. I used to commute on a Trek Y-bike ('cause that's what I had) and just threw slicks on. Worked fine.

^^^ x2. I probably wouldn't even bother changing the ring at first. See how spun out you are with the current gearing and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^ x2. I probably wouldn't even bother changing the ring at first. See how spun out you are with the current gearing and adjust accordingly.
    Well, I don't *need* to change it out, but I have pedaled the paths and know that it would help to have it be more usable, especially so if I put different tires on. And while it will work, I have had numerous mechanics tell me I should replace it over the years (and I have always refused because I rarely used it).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well, I don't *need* to change it out, but I have pedaled the paths and know that it would help to have it be more usable, especially so if I put different tires on. And while it will work, I have had numerous mechanics tell me I should replace it over the years (and I have always refused because I rarely used it).
    I mean... sure - if the big'un is clapped out, you're not looking at much to replace it. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Let me guess, the Freerider Pro Prime Blues? What 5.10s did you run before? There are lots of reports of the Prime Blues having inferior rubber to older Freerider Pros. My set are definitely a distant third in grip compared to my Impact Pros and Ride Concept Tallacs. Something about the sole shape & rubber is just not good.

I've messed around with both pins and grubs on my Occults. I find I like the grub screws better on very soft rubber (Impact Pros) and/or rubber where there are holes developing in it. I like pins in fresher or harder rubber (the Ride Concepts).
    Man, didn’t know this was a thing but I have new Freeride Pros prime blue and have come off my pedals several times when I didn’t expect it. Basically never happened to me the previous few years on normal Freerides. I don’t have nearly aggressive of pedals as Daggas but maybe there is something going on there with the shoes. 🧐

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I mean... sure - if the big'un is clapped out, you're not looking at much to replace it. Do it.
    Remember who you're dealing with here. What info do I need to know what to buy? Or should I just go to a shop?

Good info on the primeblue freerider pro 5-10s . Saw a bunch for sale cheap on Sierra had been kicking around replacing my non-pros. Guess I’ll hold onto the old ones then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask the experts

What’s the deal within the DT EXP hubs? Looks like they can prematurely wear the ratchet parts but that should be caught in an inspection and DT seems to be replacing parts under warranty. It’s not something that grenades the hub.

So would you stay away from the DT240EXP and just go for the new DT350? Or is the 240 still ok as long as you service and inspect your hubs regularly? Or have they fixed the issue in new manufacturing runs? Doesnt seem to be any updates in over a year from DT

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    What’s the deal within the DT EXP hubs? Looks like they can prematurely wear the ratchet parts but that should be caught in an inspection and DT seems to be replacing parts under warranty. It’s not something that grenades the hub.

So would you stay away from the DT240EXP and just go for the new DT350? Or is the 240 still ok as long as you service and inspect your hubs regularly? Or have they fixed the issue in new manufacturing runs? Doesnt seem to be any updates in over a year from DT
    DT claims they've resolved the issue and new/current internals won't pose a problem. I would run an EXP ratchet hub without concern. I'd also be perfectly happy on an older star ratchet hub with a 54t driver in it.

I've put 2500mi on my dt wheels with 240 exp hubs on the mtb. Mostly actual trail riding and racing and stuff. so far so good. Also have all last season of cx racing plus all this year of gravel riding on a different set.

Remember who you're dealing with here. What info do I need to know what to buy? Or should I just go to a shop?
    Bolt circle diameter. 2x? I can't answer the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    Man, didn’t know this was a thing but I have new Freeride Pros prime blue and have come off my pedals several times when I didn’t expect it. Basically never happened to me the previous few years on normal Freerides. I don’t have nearly aggressive of pedals as Daggas but maybe there is something going on there with the shoes. 🧐

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Another victim of the pro primeblues. Really liked the uppers and the price… until I tried riding them. Super sketchy when you’re expecting fiveten grip. I thought the rubber was supposed to be the same as the regular pros, but something is definitely awry (afoot?). Trying to return and I’m back to wearing my beat freeriders with holes worn through the sole until I get another replacement pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Bolt circle diameter. 2x? I can't answer the last one.
    It's a 3x.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220820_143756504.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	424254

Hah, yeah, that thing is hammered. Should be 104 BCD.

It's a 3x.

Jeezus.

And what DTM said.

It's a 3x.

Now we know that you ride right foot forward.

I laffed.

Goofy
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Heh. My first thought, too. Lot more logs sawed with that right foot!