Page 349 of 521 FirstFirst ... 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    apologies if already covered but nothing in a quick search.

noticed my sons front tire/wheell has a decent wobble to it. just using my finger as a guide it's def more tire than rim (tire maybe 1/4"+, rim more like an 1/8"). i checked the tire for defects and actually pulled it off to see if any sealant was built up and to make sure it was seated properly. no luck. don't have a truing stand. anything else to look for before i take it in to the shop?
    You can do a finger check on spoke tension to see if that might be the issue.

^^ thx. i did do a quick check by flexing 2 spokes at a time and didn't notice anything too obvious. maybe i'll do a more thorough check.

^^ thx. i did do a quick check by flexing 2 spokes at a time and didn't notice anything too obvious. maybe i'll do a more thorough check.
    When you do the finger test, make sure you're grabbing spokes that are parallel, not forming a wedge.

That said, it's entirely possible to warp tire casing, and not have it visually apparent when the tire is off the rim. I've had that happen multiple times with both EXO, EXO+, and DD casings when installing various inserts, probably from relying on the tire lever too much. My current front tire has a similar wobble to it, and it drives me nuts.

how hard is it to swap a rear shock? Like is it as simple as removing the old one and putting on a new one? Just have to have all the right torque wrenches I'm guessing? remember to release all the air pressure?

I have a Fox DPX2 rear shock on my "back-up" bike: Yeti SB130. I got the suspension serviced late last summer and did ride the bike pretty often in the fall. I haven't ridden it all in 2022 and I went to ride it this past weekend, and it was super squishy, holds air, but sounds like it needs to be serviced again.

A quick look on pink bike and our local used outlets shows I can basically buy a "new" take-off of a Fox Float X for a little more than servicing the rear shock again. This is also the shock that Yeti now specs the SB130 with. I understand the sizing: my bike is a Yeti SB130 and needs a 210x52.5mm or 210x55mm (LR) rear shock.
    Can I use the existing hardware on the bike for the new shock? Do I need to stay within brand? or can I go with a RockShox instead of Fox?
    Anything to look for on the rear shock before purchasing? (i'll probably just shop locally)

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    how hard is it to swap a rear shock? Like is it as simple as removing the old one and putting on a new one? Just have to have all the right torque wrenches I'm guessing? remember to release all the air pressure?

I have a Fox DPX2 rear shock on my "back-up" bike: Yeti SB130. I got the suspension serviced late last summer and did ride the bike pretty often in the fall. I haven't ridden it all in 2022 and I went to ride it this past weekend, and it was super squishy, holds air, but sounds like it needs to be serviced again.

A quick look on pink bike and our local used outlets shows I can basically buy a "new" take-off of a Fox Float X for a little more than servicing the rear shock again. This is also the shock that Yeti now specs the SB130 with. I understand the sizing: my bike is a Yeti SB130 and needs a 210x52.5mm or 210x55mm (LR) rear shock.
    Can I use the existing hardware on the bike for the new shock? Do I need to stay within brand? or can I go with a RockShox instead of Fox?
    Anything to look for on the rear shock before purchasing? (i'll probably just shop locally)
    If you keep the same size in the same brand, its typically super easy. The part you have to think about is making sure you have the right mounting hardware. Typically if you keep it within the same brand you can swap the hardware from your old one to your new one. You might need a DU bushing pressed in depending on mounting hardware but that bushing is literally $2. If you dont want to bother swapping the mounting is cheap as well.

You can go with Rockshox so long as you match the shock size, mounting hardware width and diameter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    When you do the finger test, make sure you're grabbing spokes that are parallel, not forming a wedge.

That said, it's entirely possible to warp tire casing, and not have it visually apparent when the tire is off the rim. I've had that happen multiple times with both EXO, EXO+, and DD casings when installing various inserts, probably from relying on the tire lever too much. My current front tire has a similar wobble to it, and it drives me nuts.
    thx will do.
    wonder if i should just get a new tire first before taking to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post

The actual swapping of the shock is easy. But you need to make sure you have the right size shock, and you'll generally want to make sure the new shock has the same tune as your old shock. Shocks are generally tuned from the factory for a specific frame, so if you're replacing the shock with a take off from the same frame, you'll be fine, but if it's from a different bike, the tune will likely be different. You can get a shock re-tuned for your bike, but that's expensive enough that it's often not worth it.

Start by figuring out what the tube on your shock is. Fox shocks have a code on them you can put into their website to get the tune into. Rockshox have a series of letters on them saying roughly what the tune is. Then look for a shock that has the same (or similar) tune.

spokes are under tension so I hit them with wrench & listen to the sound they make, its either a high pitched ting or a dull thunk and from that i can tell which are loose, for a quick check i can rotate a wheel with a wrench on the spokes and check them all in 30 sec, if yer not sure how they should sound compare the tone to a good wheel

be aware the spokes on the drive side will be under higher tension than the non-drive side cuz of wheel dish

poor mans truing stand is to use a zip tie on the frame as a reference while you rotate the wheel/ tightening or loosening spokes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What do you guys do when you come home with a wet bike? Two days in a row I drove through a rain storm on the way home from riding.

I bounce the bike up and down on the rear wheel a bunch of times to shake water off, then put a fan pointing at the drive train for a few hours. Relube after that.

Is this over the top? Too much? Too little?

Zee brakes - o ring on both sides of the banjo? Got a little intermittent trickle right there I need to figure out, which of course has now contaminated pads and rotor.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    What do you guys do when you come home with a wet bike? Two days in a row I drove through a rain storm on the way home from riding.

I bounce the bike up and down on the rear wheel a bunch of times to shake water off, then put a fan pointing at the drive train for a few hours. Relube after that.

I rinse with holy water blessed by the Pope then gently wipe dry only with a chamois made from goat skin in a remote valley of the Pyrenees who have been making chamois cloths since the days of Charlemagne.

Just throw it in the garage, it’s a bike, it’ll be fine. Do your standard post-ride wipe down of the stanchions and chain and then relube. Or not, your bike probably won’t notice a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I rinse with holy water blessed by the Pope then gently wipe dry only with a chamois made from goat skin in a remote valley of the Pyrenees who have been making chamois cloths since the days of Charlemagne.

Just throw it in the garage, it’s a bike, it’ll be fine. Do your standard post-ride wipe down of the stanchions and chain and then relube. Or not, your bike probably won’t notice a difference.
    I used goat skin chamois for years, but have recently switched to baby seal skin chamois. It's gentler on the kashima. 10/10. Would recommend.

I just put it in the sun for about 18 minutes and it's dry. If it's late, I just leave it in the garage over night and it's dry. Perhaps it's the climate here. I dunno.

I'd bounce it, then wipe the chain with a rag. I live in a desert though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The actual swapping of the shock is easy. But you need to make sure you have the right size shock, and you'll generally want to make sure the new shock has the same tune as your old shock. Shocks are generally tuned from the factory for a specific frame, so if you're replacing the shock with a take off from the same frame, you'll be fine, but if it's from a different bike, the tune will likely be different. You can get a shock re-tuned for your bike, but that's expensive enough that it's often not worth it.

Start by figuring out what the tube on your shock is. Fox shocks have a code on them you can put into their website to get the tune into. Rockshox have a series of letters on them saying roughly what the tune is. Then look for a shock that has the same (or similar) tune.
    I knew I was missing something so I appreciate the advice on the shock tune. I knew trying to find a take-off from the same bike would be ideal but wasn't sure how well you could just plug another shock in that was taken off a different bike. Turns out probably not that well, but maybe....

Ask the experts

My bike lives under a topper in the bed of my truck, and right back it goes after rides and after the occasional rinse. With the doors closed, it’s a billion percent humidity in there, so nothing really dries. As long as I keep the chain lubed, I’ve never had any issues.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    The RWC needle bearing kits are ridiculous and add an insane amount of suppleness to the initial stroke to your shock. I haven't had a big issue with my wearing out prematurely, however.
    I'm in this camp also. Felt the RWC was excellent. Ran mine first on a SC Tallboy, then on a SC Hightower. Improved small bump in both cases. I am not running one on my Rowl because the shock travel is incredibly linear. Otherwise I would be.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have a druid virgin that comes in to do light house keeping and clean my bike

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have a druid virgin ...
    Sounds forbidden

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1660796361.444395.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	424066
    Is this excessive?
    If there was an option to pay $1 more for a new rotor without bolts, I might go for it. I’m incapable of throwing out “spares”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1660796361.444395.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	424066
    Is this excessive?
    If there was an option to pay $1 more for a new rotor without bolts, I might go for it. I’m incapable of throwing out “spares”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Maybe quit dragging so much brake?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have a druid virgin that comes in to do light house keeping and clean my bike
    How is AKPM these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

No idea who AKPM is

unless I am going to put it in the dining room I rarely wash the bullit

I keep getting my feet blown off the pedals on flats. Have been riding flats for ever, never clips.
    I have brand new 5'10 Free rider pros and fairly fresh Chromag Dagga's. I'm also on a fairly new (full summer on it) Bronson.
    I've never really expereinced this before, like blowing off on easy blue tech trails, and sometimes even on climb trails it just slips off. I replaced my old freerider pros cos they were sliding around and were pretty punched.
    Trying to figure out if its the pin placement on the pedals, my shitty riding, the shoes, the bike. I just remember getting new 5'10s and barely being able to move my foot on the pedal, to the point it was sketchy. Definitely not the case now.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I keep getting my feet blown off the pedals on flats. Have been riding flats for ever, never clips.
    I have brand new 5'10 Free rider pros and fairly fresh Chromag Dagga's. I'm also on a fairly new (full summer on it) Bronson.
    I've never really expereinced this before, like blowing off on easy blue tech trails, and sometimes even on climb trails it just slips off. I replaced my old freerider pros cos they were sliding around and were pretty punched.
    Trying to figure out if its the pin placement on the pedals, my shitty riding, the shoes, the bike. I just remember getting new 5'10s and barely being able to move my foot on the pedal, to the point it was sketchy. Definitely not the case now.
    What sort of pins are they? I realized a *massive* difference between my old Xpedo Spry pedals with their shitty stock pins and my new Tenet Occults which have grub screws. HUGE difference.