Page 343 of 521 FirstFirst ... 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,575 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I blew my Cane Creek coil shock and I'm wondering what is out there to replace it. It's on a 2015 Giant Reign, which is getting outdated - it has 2 front chainrings, a 10 speed cassette, and lotsa dings and one bad dent in the aluminum frame - so I'm guessing sending the shock in to CC to be fixed is not worth my time or money. Or am I wrong? And the shock is an old model with no rear lock-out for climbing - not exactly what everyone wants. I'll probably sell the bike soon and maybe it's worth $1500 with a working shock.

Anyone have recommendations, coil or air for it that's not expensive and not horrible? Or should I get the cane creek serviced (anyone done this and what is CC like for price/time?) and buy a temp shock while i wait to get it back?
    If it were me, I'd go on pinkbike and buy pretty much any functional used shock that fits that frame. If you're selling it, there's no sense in spending much money on a replacement, and for a bike like that, a fancier / newer shock isn't going to change the resale value.

I blew my Cane Creek coil shock and I'm wondering what is out there to replace it. It's on a 2015 Giant Reign, which is getting outdated - it has 2 front chainrings, a 10 speed cassette, and lotsa dings and one bad dent in the aluminum frame - so I'm guessing sending the shock in to CC to be fixed is not worth my time or money. Or am I wrong? And the shock is an old model with no rear lock-out for climbing - not exactly what everyone wants. I'll probably sell the bike soon and maybe it's worth $1500 with a working shock.

Anyone have recommendations, coil or air for it that's not expensive and not horrible? Or should I get the cane creek serviced (anyone done this and what is CC like for price/time?) and buy a temp shock while i wait to get it back?
    Toast speaks the truth. If you want to sell it don’t go through all the hassle. A new rebuilt shock on that bike provides no extra value.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Have any of you actually inflated a Tubolito? I think I know the answer (no), but it’s worth asking. Curious if I could run a 27.5 Tubolito in a 29 in a pinch, as you can with butyl tubes. This would be a solution for carrying one tube for the Mullet bike.
    I have a 26” Tubolito that I put in my 27.5” rim to see if it would go. Zero issue.
    Based on that hard scientific data, I wouldn’t hesitate to carry a 27.5” Tubolito knowing it could be used in the unlikely event of a front wheel flat on a mullet.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If it were me, I'd go on pinkbike and buy pretty much any functional used shock that fits that frame. If you're selling it, there's no sense in spending much money on a replacement, and for a bike like that, a fancier / newer shock isn't going to change the resale value.
    Thanks, I didn't think of buying a used shock. I'm not a pinkbike classified connoisseur, maybe I should be.

Thanks, I didn't think of buying a used shock. I'm not a pinkbike classified connoisseur, maybe I should be.
    Buyer beware on PinkBike. It’s not a bunch of distinguished old men like TGR.
    Lots of kids selling junk, look closely at their profile, what they have sold, and click on photos of stuff they sold or are selling.
    You can only comment on photos, so if someone has not shipped, or stole from someone, or is not happy about the condition of a item, the only way to comment is on a photo.
    90% of the time it’s good, but there is not a community of Mags to back you up like on here.

Or you might just need to email their mom .

Ask the experts

Shimano 6120 brakes

Took them off my Trance that had a worn Shimano rotor and put the front on my Ripmo with a brand new SRAM rotor. Brand new pads too.

Now when I pull the lever, there’s no throw when the pads grab the rotor, the bite is right at the beginning of the travel. When released, the pads don’t rub the rotor.

Again, I didn’t bleed these or add fluid or anything. So do I leave it and let the pads wear down so it’s normal? Or should I pop the bleed screw out and see if a little fluid comes out to relieve the pressure?

Tire casing discussion definitely falls in the know thyself/know the terrain category IMHO. On the one hand, sharp rocks and speed don’t mix well. Learning that now that I live out west. Back east, I could definitely find some places in Pisgah/DuPont that were fun for long travel bikes, but mainly because of chunky off camber roots, water bars and drops but not a lot of sidewall ripping rocks and you didn’t really need something like a DD equivalent for protection. But in those places there were more flowy trails where I hated tire squirm and really appreciated being able to run lower pressure in a DD for grip over roots but also not have crazy squirm in turns. So reasons for and against there depending on your flavor.

Try some different things and think about where and how you ride. And when you realize you hate the extra weight of heavier casings or you fear the next EXO-induced near death experience, sell your lightly used or spare tires of your hated casing here for a good price .

the moped came with DD's and I figure its a good idea to handle the extra weight so I bought another one maxxis all the way for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Shimano 6120 brakes

Took them off my Trance that had a worn Shimano rotor and put the front on my Ripmo with a brand new SRAM rotor. Brand new pads too.

Now when I pull the lever, there’s no throw when the pads grab the rotor, the bite is right at the beginning of the travel. When released, the pads don’t rub the rotor.

Again, I didn’t bleed these or add fluid or anything. So do I leave it and let the pads wear down so it’s normal? Or should I pop the bleed screw out and see if a little fluid comes out to relieve the pressure?
    I'd let the pressure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Shimano 6120 brakes

Do you have a Shimano bleed kit with the funnel? If not -- REI has the kit pretty cheap right now:
    https://www.rei.com/product/143798/s...mple-bleed-kit

I'd remove the bleed screw at the lever end, attach the funnel (with a little new mineral fluid in it first), and re-set the pistons. Leave the pads in place and pry against the pads to push the pistons back into their bores.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I had almost the exact same issue with a set of Shimano brakes on a used bike I bought for my kid. Did the standard Shimano lever-only bleed and they were right as rain.

I put new padz in the guides, all i did was seperate the pistons enough to get new padz in , the brakes dragged a little until they scuffed in a bit they are fine now a couple weeks later so no drag and i did nothing
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-01-2022 at 07:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Smith Trace helmet? With my shoulder fucked I need to just hit the gravel and get some long miles in. My POC helmet fits like crap. My Smith Forefront 2 feels amazing. You can pop sunglasses on the back but Smith doesn't advertise this.

Anyone have the Trace? Can you also pop the arms of sunglasses along the channels on the back of the helmet?

Reviews of the Trace show a few options (front and back) for docking glasses. FYI I believe Chalet has them in stock in a few sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Smith Trace helmet? With my shoulder fucked I need to just hit the gravel and get some long miles in. My POC helmet fits like crap. My Smith Forefront 2 feels amazing. You can pop sunglasses on the back but Smith doesn't advertise this.

Anyone have the Trace? Can you also pop the arms of sunglasses along the channels on the back of the helmet?
    Are you not allowed to wear the Forefront 2 while riding gravel? You could probably counter the aerodynamic impact of the visor with a cardboard fairing taped to the rear of the helmet. Unclear if that would negatively affect sunglass storage though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Are you not allowed to wear the Forefront 2 while riding gravel?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    The kook runs deep, but even I have my limits. Visor helmet plus a drop bar is a no go. #pointlessshitthatcyclistscareabout

The kook runs deep, but even I have my limits. Visor helmet plus a drop bar is a no go. #pointlessshitthatcyclistscareabout

I still ride gravel with my Smith forefront. The visor fell off several thousand miles ago but the helmet somehow still works!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I’m the opposite- I like to wear the mtb helmet to subtly advertise that I’m predominantly a mountain biker and I’m just doing this road riding shit to keep in shape, because I am injured, etc
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I’m the opposite- I like to wear the mtb helmet to subtly advertise that I’m predominantly a mountain biker and I’m just doing this road riding shit to keep in shape, because I am injured, etc
    Where's the goddamn rep button?!?

Rock Shock monarch debonair plus shock.

Has a thunk happening mid stroke while in soft setting. Did a can rebuild and lube and it improved, but did not eliminate. I’ll do a full rebuild this weekend. Everything looks spotless and smooth.

Ideas?

Baby-bear knows exactly who she is, and she just don’t GAF if you got a problem with that!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Huh... I guess I need ANOTHER helmet... I thought my intentions were clear wearing a stretchy jorts and a merino t shirt when I ride da gravels bike.

Good luck with that monarch.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    ^This

I forget if I even took the visor off on my last road ride