Page 342 of 521 FirstFirst ... 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... LastLast
Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Maybe just my area and perhaps my east coast rocks are smoother, but pedaling around DD tires to save a flat seems to be not worth the squeeze. Normally ride 4-5x per week most of the year on EXO
    If you're on EXO and not getting flats your rocks MUST be smoother. I'd destroy EXO in one ride.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If you're on EXO and not getting flats your rocks MUST be smoother. I'd destroy EXO in one ride.

I was doing okay on EXO for quite a while, but I've gotten heavier and (maybe a little) faster. After killing 3 rear tires in about a year, I put a DD aggressor on the rear this week.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Have any of you actually inflated a Tubolito? I think I know the answer (no), but it’s worth asking. Curious if I could run a 27.5 Tubolito in a 29 in a pinch, as you can with butyl tubes. This would be a solution for carrying one tube for the Mullet bike.
    Yes, I have inflated a couple Tubolitos. No, I wouldn't feel good about running 27.5 on 29. I don't think they'll stretch that much comfortably, and if you're anything like me, the only reason you're putting in a tube is because you're far from the car and can't get darts or bacon to seal the flat. In those situations, I don't think it's worth the risk trying to stretch it. That said, I'd run 29 in 27.5 without hesitation. It's not hard to get them to shorten via the foreskin method.

Well, that solves the problem, then. And yes, the Tubolito is the last resort, I carry bacon, darts, a boot, gorilla tape, and a spare valve to try first. And if you want to ‘borrow’ a Tubolito from me on the trail, I’ll need you to Venmo me first!
    Last edited by rideit; 07-29-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I was doing okay on EXO for quite a while, but I've gotten heavier and (maybe a little) faster. After killing 3 rear tires in about a year, I put a DD aggressor on the rear this week.
    I made the mistake of putting on an EXO DHR on my bike a LONG time ago... and flatted it the first time I took it out.

Anybody want a 27.5 Tubolito for cheap? (27.5 x 1.8-2.5)
    I no longer have any 27.5 bikes in my household and I think I still have 4 new in packages.
    They retail for $35, I could USPS them for $23.00.
    PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I no longer have any 27.5 bikes in my household and I think I still have 4 new in packages.
    PM me for details.
    I'll take it. PM incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    PM me for details.
    2 of 5 spoken for:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4974.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	422693

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    It's not hard to get them to shorten via the foreskin method.
    Could have lived my whole life and died happy without hearing that line.

All this talk makes it fitting that I had my first flat in years this week.
    Last one I can remember was in Moab in 2020 and that wasn’t even a puncture… dinged my rim riding my hardtail on the whole enchilada (a double drop in the porcupine rim area I think) and it wouldn’t hold air at the bead. Threw a tube in for the rest of the trip and then bent the rim back when I got home.

This time it was a rock puncture in a lightly used gravel tire (100mi total?) riding on some singletrack . Small bacon held for a bit and then started leaking. Going to try repairing it by gluing on a radial tire patch like some have suggested on here.

There are plenty of areas where heavier tires aren't necessary just because it's not that rocky. But those are also areas where 150mm + travel bikes aren't necessary. If a long travel bike is warranted, so are heavy tires.

Added bonus is that heavy tires can run way lower pressure without the sidewalls folding in corners.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    There are plenty of areas where heavier tires aren't necessary just because it's not that rocky. But those are also areas where 150mm + travel bikes aren't necessary. If a long travel bike is warranted, so are heavy tires.

Added bonus is that heavy tires can run way lower pressure without the sidewalls folding in corners.
    So sharpness of chunk plays no role? I can see using long travel for bigger, smoother features and not needing heavy tires. Also if you tend toward higher pressures, which smoother surfaces make a bit more comfortable.

Around me the sharpness of rocks varies with altitude a lot of times. If I'm not hitting high, newish trails with a lot of stuff sticking out of them I worry a lot less about sharp rock punctures. But I'm not switching to a hard tail.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Yeah, my local trails don't need DD for puncture protection, but I like to run them in the summer because I can drop like 3 psi over EXO+ and not have them fold/squirm/make sad noises on every berm.

Ok, any of you have suggestions for the most durable crank arm protectors (XT, XTR 12) etc?
    I have gotten two varieties from eBay before, some are soft silicone that don’t last very long, and some others that were more like hard plastic. Just curious what y’all in chunk-country run before just ordering some cheap crap.

I've only used them for carbon cranks - Race Face and SRAM covers. They seem pretty similar, hold up fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Why do you need protectors for metal crank arms (XT/XTR)?

So they don’t get beat to shit, and *might* have some resale value if I don’t like the length? (XTR).
    The ones I have on two sets are absolutely wrecked, but the end of the arms are still pristine.

I am waiting for some 165 Sweetwings to come in stock, I won’t care about those as much.

I am waiting for some 165 Sweetwings to come in stock, I won’t care about those as much.
    Wish I was in a place not to care “as much” about thousand dollar cranks (even if that’s not what you paid)

Well, Ti is harder than aluminum, and as far as I know, most boots won’t work on the EE wings…probably should have worded that “I will be less concerned with” the EE wings hitting rocks.
    Last edited by rideit; 07-31-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Have convinced myself this is something I notice. Would like to try DH casing at a bike park some day test the far end of the spectrum.

What's definitely noticeable is 3 flats over the span of ~15 rides on the EXO+ tires that came with my new bike . Plus side is that I'm 3/3 in getting them fixed with sealant only. Switched to Orange Seal this season and the success rate is night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Have convinced myself this is something I notice. Would like to try DH casing at a bike park some day test the far end of the spectrum.
    In terms of sidewall flex, I notice a big difference going from exo+ to DD. The difference from DD to DH is still noticeable, but it's not quite as big.

To get similar sidewall squirm, I'm usually at about 23 psi in the rear with a DH casing, 24-25 psi with a DD casing, and around 30 psi with exo or exo+.

Ok, any of you have suggestions for the most durable crank arm protectors (XT, XTR 12) etc?
    I have gotten two varieties from eBay before, some are soft silicone that don’t last very long, and some others that were more like hard plastic. Just curious what y’all in chunk-country run before just ordering some cheap crap.
    I use the All Mountain Style ones on my XT/XTR they have an arm guard that comes with that I don’t use but the end guard has been super solid.

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/pro...defender-black
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I don’t think anyone should assume they need heavy tires just because some others do. I know a lot of people running EXO I’m the PNW with success - plenty of experienced riders on long travel bikes. Lots of roots, mostly rounded rocks, steeps, etc. Terrain, weight and speed all play a role.

In the road/gravel world there is lots of chatter about thin, flexible sidewall tires having less rolling resistance. I can’t confirm if that is also true for a typical mtb trail but it wouldn’t surprise me. I.e. the thicker sidewall tire is heavier but also might feel slower due to increased rolling resistance.

Those of you using a Tubilito, are you using a frame/seatpost pack? I’m using a little dakine frame bag now to carry a tube, CO2, and levers but not sure it would work with a much smaller tube.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I blew my Cane Creek coil shock and I'm wondering what is out there to replace it. It's on a 2015 Giant Reign, which is getting outdated - it has 2 front chainrings, a 10 speed cassette, and lotsa dings and one bad dent in the aluminum frame - so I'm guessing sending the shock in to CC to be fixed is not worth my time or money. Or am I wrong? And the shock is an old model with no rear lock-out for climbing - not exactly what everyone wants. I'll probably sell the bike soon and maybe it's worth $1500 with a working shock.

Anyone have recommendations, coil or air for it that's not expensive and not horrible? Or should I get the cane creek serviced (anyone done this and what is CC like for price/time?) and buy a temp shock while i wait to get it back?