Page 332 of 347 FirstFirst ... 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... LastLast
Results 8,276 to 8,300 of 8671

Thread: Ask the experts

  1. #8276
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,568
    Yeah, I definitely think that Shimano's derailleurs don't hold up as well to getting tweaked as higher-end SRAM stuff. But SRAM's clutches wear out (a lot) faster and aren't adjustable to compensate for said wear, so pick your poison.

  2. #8277
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,915
    X3 or whatever on shimano derailleurs being soft. Haven't had great luck with their clutches either.

    I'm back on the sram bandwagon. Gx derailleurs last me a season or so, which is about 40% longer than I was getting out of XT's.

  3. #8278
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Are Shimano 12 speed derailleur cages extra soft or something? In the past month I've bent two and because they're out of stock everywhere, I've ended up buying a new derailleur both times to keep my bike rolling. Once they're back in stock I'll repair the damaged ones.

    My hangers are staying perfectly true and I've never had this with X01. It could be just being unlucky but the cages keep getting slightly twisted (left or right) so it's impossible for it to shift properly. I've tried bending one back without success.
    Yep, my solution was painful but XTR is carbon caged and doesn't bend.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  4. #8279
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Yep, my solution was painful but XTR is carbon caged and doesn't bend.
    I've broken two XTR outer carbon cage plates without significantly bending the aluminum inner plate.

    I wish there was an option I was fully stoked about.

  5. #8280
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Yep, my solution was painful but XTR is carbon caged and doesn't bend.
    Twisted my XTR within a month of owning it. Replaced it with XT since just the parts for XTR weíre almost the same price. XT has held so far (knock on wood).

  6. #8281
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Yep, my solution was painful but XTR is carbon caged and doesn't bend.

    So far I've been through one XT and one SLX. I went the cheaper route with replacements. I wouldn't really mind all that much if the replacement cages were in stock anywhere. Didn't realize the XTR was carbon... I'm a bit worried to try my luck.

    Regarding the comments on Sram clutches. I seen some deterioration but honestly it has been modest. I have an XO1 with about 3800 miles on it on one of my bikes and it still works great. Tons of scratches on the body and cage... but still shifts fine. Feels like my Shimano ones take one modest impact and are toast. That being said, I do think there is a big drop off to GX for some reason even if that isn't immediately evident when looking at them.

  7. #8282
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    20,196
    Well, I'm out with a scapula fracture... thanks Whistler. Hopefully only 6-8 wks.

    Thank you Eluder for the shimano chain ring tool!

    Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, I definitely think that Shimano's derailleurs don't hold up as well to getting tweaked as higher-end SRAM stuff. But SRAM's clutches wear out (a lot) faster and aren't adjustable to compensate for said wear, so pick your poison.
    This.

    I was *told* but cannot confirm that XTR cages are stiffer with the carbon...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  8. #8283
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    west tetons
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Well, I'm out with a scapula fracture... thanks Whistler. Hopefully only 6-8 wks.

    Thank you Eluder for the shimano chain ring tool!



    This.

    I was *told* but cannot confirm that XTR cages are stiffer with the carbon...
    Dang, sorry to hear, @summit . Heal up, buddy.

    Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

  9. #8284
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    9,685
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Is the DT Swiss 240s still the best option for a lightweight and durable hub? Any issues with the current version?
    Free bump, because Iím curious too.

    Heal up Summit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  10. #8285
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    20,196
    Thanks hms & plug

    My Roost Wheelsi31AM 29er w DT240 54T microspline just arrived. 1630g measured!!!

    Super stoked to ride them when I'm healed.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  11. #8286
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Free bump, because Iím curious too.

    Heal up Summit.
    I donít think itís a dealbreaker for 240, but unless things have changed very recently, 350ís use standard bearing sizes, whereas 240ís do not, so not as readily available and limited options for replacement.

  12. #8287
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,200
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Thanks hms & plug

    My Roost Wheelsi31AM 29er w DT240 54T microspline just arrived. 1630g measured!!!

    Super stoked to ride them when I'm healed.
    Bummer to hear Summit and I just joined the club today w broken scapula and 3 broken ribs. Out for summer it sounds like as well.

    Guess time to get some backlog projects done where I can.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #8288
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    7,113
    Ah shit guys. Sorry to hear of your scapula and rub injuries. Heal up!

  14. #8289
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Ah shit guys. Sorry to hear of your scapula and rub injuries. Heal up!
    Guys, youíre doing it wrong. Youíre supposed to break yourself at the tail end of ski season so that youíre healed up by the time bike season is in full swing, like me!

    Then you plan the follow up surgery at the tail end of bike season, so youíre ready when ski season is in high gear.

    Itís simple really.

  15. #8290
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I donít think itís a dealbreaker for 240, but unless things have changed very recently, 350ís use standard bearing sizes, whereas 240ís do not, so not as readily available and limited options for replacement.
    Makes me want to source some spares now before I might need them.

    Heal up the chicken wings fellas


    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

  16. #8291
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Makes me want to source some spares now before I might need them.

    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    They are not hard to come by, they are always available from a few different brands.
    They just use a less common size, so you can't just buy any old generic Chinese cheap bearing like a common 6802.

  17. #8292
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    30
    I am installing new SLX 4-piston calipers to replace my XT 8000's. When installing the banjo bolt opening is on opposite sides between the new calipers and the old ones. If I keep the hose running to the outside of the wheel like it used to, the hose has to go to the bottom of the caliper and is blocked by the caliper body itself. I mounted it with the logo facing out and the banjo inside. There seems to be clearence to the spokes but it seems strange, is this alright or does the banjo always come in from the outside? Pictures of the mounted brake below. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	633.9 KB 
ID:	420595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5002.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	420596

  18. #8293
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    I am installing new SLX 4-piston calipers to replace my XT 8000's. When installing the banjo bolt opening is on opposite sides between the new calipers and the old ones. If I keep the hose running to the outside of the wheel like it used to, the hose has to go to the bottom of the caliper and is blocked by the caliper body itself. I mounted it with the logo facing out and the banjo inside. There seems to be clearence to the spokes but it seems strange, is this alright or does the banjo always come in from the outside? Pictures of the mounted brake below. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	633.9 KB 
ID:	420595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5002.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	420596
    You have it right in those photos, they just moved the banjo.

  19. #8294
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Posts
    30
    Thanks! Was about to put the rear one on and couldn't decide if I was blowing it.


    Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    You have it right in those photos, they just moved the banjo.

  20. #8295
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    1,503
    How is the EWS so popular? Recap videos are boring and you can't watch it live online, or can you? Is the EWS financially doing well? Is it mainly Euro fans supporting it?

  21. #8296
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,994
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Is the DT Swiss 240s still the best option for a lightweight and durable hub? Any issues with the current version?
    For an extra 38 grams, the project 321 rear hub has a long list of advantages over the DT240. Similar price.
    Improve your AT boots with the StrapOff. Itís Maggot Approved.

  22. #8297
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    How is the EWS so popular? Recap videos are boring and you can't watch it live online, or can you? Is the EWS financially doing well? Is it mainly Euro fans supporting it?
    Iíll let you know end of August, weíre hosting a stop this year. They told us to expect over 3,000 spectators. We get a few hundred at a regional enduro event we host, Iím hoping to be surprised.


    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

  23. #8298
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ll let you know end of August, we’re hosting a stop this year. They told us to expect over 3,000 spectators. We get a few hundred at a regional enduro event we host, I’m hoping to be surprised.

    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    You're in Burke?

  24. #8299
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vacationland
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    You're in Burke?
    Sugarloaf, ME. Weíre the week after Burke


    Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

  25. #8300
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,037
    Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    How is the EWS so popular? Recap videos are boring and you can't watch it live online, or can you? Is the EWS financially doing well? Is it mainly Euro fans supporting it?
    Don't worry this is the team in charge of UCI DH media next year. Its gonna be great.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •