Page 328 of 532 FirstFirst ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,200 of 13298

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Sounds like something is too tight. Do those cranks have a preload adjuster on the non-drive side? If so, back it all the way off, tap the drive side crank with a rubber mallet just to set the cranks all the way over to the non-drive side, then hand tighten the preload adjuster so it makes solid contact, but isn't exerting much pressure on the bearing.
    No preload adjuster (such as on a DUB crank).

I Googled a lot more, found that apparently you don't put NDS spacers under the BB unless you want to bring the chainline in closer to center.

I completely removed the crank, wiped down the BB bearings and spacers clean, put a little grease over the exterior bearing faces, and reinstalled everything. Torqued to spec. It's spinning smoother, weirdly, so maybe there was some grit that I missed the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I tried to buy one of those a year ago. Gave up.
    This is very strange, as they come with everyaftermarket crank set that comes in a box.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is very strange, as they come with everyaftermarket crank set that comes in a box.
    Yeah. I have the one that comes free. I was trying to buy the nice version.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    27in tires? My girlfriend has this silly old schwinn townie bike with 27in wheels/tires. Looking for new tires that are better than pure slicks. Not many options that I have found. Universal Cycles has a couple that would work.
    Panaracer Paselas. The gold standard for 27” road tires. All the vintage bike guys that don’t run tubulars run these.

They’ve got a little tread on them, would be fine for road or packed gravel trails. Come in 27, 27-1/8, 27-1/4.

I just want an any-kind-of-version to put on my new oval

Kinda wishing I went for OneUp's Switch instead of the blingy Absolute Black direct mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post

Kinda wishing I went for OneUp's Switch instead of the blingy Absolute Black direct mount.
    Where are you, I have a few.

Edit: We are talking about XTR?
    I have the Shimano TL-FC41, and the Park Tool Shimano TL-FC41.
    I should have a spareFC41 in a drawer if I really looked hard.
    BUT in a pinch a Dura Ace BB TL-FC24 adapter can work along with a traditional Shimano BB wrench.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 06-20-2022 at 07:32 PM.

Anyone have a 190x45 shock sitting around? My float dps, uh, kind of exploded the other day. I have a loaner I can borrow for a bit but assume sending it to fox and getting it back will take awhile. There are some cheap xfusions on pinkbike, and some sidluxes and floats so I might just go that way since nothing is in stock new anywhere.

I have had a float X 190 x 45 on order with both QBP and Fox since last October. 8-ball for this year says ‘not likely’.
    Your better bet is to get it rebuilt, sadly.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That's what I thought, but apparently it's not true.

You still need the tool to install the OneUp. Amazon.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Finding a shop with a Shimano direct mount chain ring tool is more of a challenge than I thought... 0/4
    I have some extra of these if you are in need.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I broke a couple of spokes non drive and drive side on the rear wheel of my hardtail. The room is a Bontrager Line 40 Pro. What's the best way to get the right replacement spokes and nipples? The wheel is still true so I'm thinking I should be able to just replace the re-tension those two spokes. Spokes are straight pull. Reach out to Trek? Or is there an online resource?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I broke a couple of spokes non drive and drive side on the rear wheel of my hardtail. The room is a Bontrager Line 40 Pro. What's the best way to get the right replacement spokes and nipples? The wheel is still true so I'm thinking I should be able to just replace the re-tension those two spokes. Spokes are straight pull. Reach out to Trek? Or is there an online resource?
    Rear wheel is going to have a different length for each side.
    You can put the rim ERD and hub type in a spoke calculator like DT Swiss'
    OR if you're doing the job your self, its just as easy to pull out 2 god spokes, measure them and ask the shop for "3 x 296mm straight pull spokes" and 3 x 300mm
    Your variations will be:
    spoke diameter 2.0 threads (14 gauge) or 1.8 threads (15 gauge)
    straight gauge or double butted
    nipple length diameter (1.8 or 2.0) and/or nipple washer needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    27in tires? My girlfriend has this silly old schwinn townie bike with 27in wheels/tires. Looking for new tires that are better than pure slicks. Not many options that I have found. Universal Cycles has a couple that would work.
    https://www.ashevillebikecompany.com...IaAoVbEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Where are you, I have a few.

Edit: We are talking about XTR?
    I have the Shimano TL-FC41, and the Park Tool Shimano TL-FC41.
    I should have a spareFC41 in a drawer if I really looked hard.
    BUT in a pinch a Dura Ace BB TL-FC24 adapter can work along with a traditional Shimano BB wrench.
    Photo for clarity.
    The $5 adapter (left top) and a standard BB wrench (left bottom) will work the save way as the proper tool(right)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4180.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	419487

Photo for clarity.
    The $5 adapter (left top) and a standard BB wrench (left bottom) will work the save way as the proper tool(right)

Name:	IMG_4180.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	419487
    Just to add: the adaptor works fine for chainrings. For some BB's, it interferes with other stuff in the area (i.e. pivots) so the real tool works a lot better.

My point was if you can’t find the Chainring tool, this adapter works in a pinch.
    It’s the only other tool that fits over the Shimano 24mm spindle.
    The Dura Ace BBT-49 that has the same spline pattern won’t slide over the spindle.

Name:	IMG_4185.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	419498

Name:	IMG_4186.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	419499

I couldn’t get enough of a purchase with the plastic adapter, the teeth barely engaged. Ended up having to buy the proper tool.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I couldn’t get enough of a purchase with the plastic adapter, the teeth barely engaged. Ended up having to buy the proper tool.
    It's got a bevel on one side, so you have to pre-place the wrench on the plastic tool, and put it on the chainring with the lip facing away from the chainring.
    It's kinda counterintuitive to use the tool this way, because of of how you'd use it on a BB (as its designed for).
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 06-21-2022 at 08:13 PM.

I have 2018 XT-M8000 calipers and levers on my bike and am looking for an upgrade. They are fine most of the time but I find them underpowered on more and more on steep loose stuff that I am carrying more speed on than I used to (beartrap, silver, honeycomb etc in the wasatch). I already put a larger 203 mm rotor up front and a 180 in the back.

Can I use the new 4-piston 8120 calipers in the link below with my current levers and hose? In this a worthy upgrade for increased power, and would I lose much by keeping the older levers? I would love a set of Dominion A4's but am seeing if there is a decent option for much much cheaper. Thanks!

(https://thundermountainbikes.com/pro...hoCOD4QAvD_BwE)

All Shimano levers and calipers are comparable. Your 8000 levers will work with 8120 calipers.
    The exception is non series, like 395, they have older bh59 hoses that aren’t strong enough.

It's got a bevel on one side, so you have to pre-place the wrench on the plastic tool, and put it on the chainring with the lip facing away from the chainring.
    It's kinda counterintuitive to use the tool this way, because of of how you'd use it on a BB (as its designed for).
    Yeah, that didn't work for me. I think my el-cheapo wrench was part of the problem.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Awesome. Thanks!

All Shimano levers and calipers are comparable. Your 8000 levers will work with 8120 calipers.
    The exception is non series, like 395, they have older bh59 hoses that aren’t strong enough.

If anybody is in need of a Shimano direct mount chainring tool, TL-FC41, hit me up. I think I have more than I need…

Name:	8309A62A-794F-4704-AEF8-15EEEE5AC748.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	752.7 KB 
ID:	419625
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Anything else we should know? How many pallets of microchips are you holding?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Anything else we should know? How many pallets of microchips are you holding?
    All of them

Formerly Rludes025