Page 267 of 521 FirstFirst ... 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,675 of 13021

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Wrapped a line around the center of the tire.?
    when i do this ^^ I tie 3/8ths rope into loop and then I put a wrench in that loop and wind the loop smaller to spread the beads
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

May I ask for some opinions on bar width?

I have a 2021 size L YT Capra (was right on the border between M and L but general advice online seemed to be size up). My bike sometimes feels quite unwieldy in tight corners. I've been assuming this is mostly down to my technique, but maybe I can help myself with hardware too.

I'm 5 foot 9 but fairly wide/strong shoulders from years of ww kayaking. My bars are currently at the 800mm they came at as stock. If I trim them down (to 780? 770?) will it make the bike feel more manoeuvrable and nimble in tight corners?

You can only cut them once so if you got lock-on grips just slide them inwards without cutting the bars

I think what feels better might depend on how close you are to the bars so the fit of the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post

I have a 2021 size L YT Capra (was right on the border between M and L but general advice online seemed to be size up). My bike sometimes feels quite unwieldy in tight corners. I've been assuming this is mostly down to my technique, but maybe I can help myself with hardware too.

I'm 5 foot 9 but fairly wide/strong shoulders from years of ww kayaking. My bars are currently at the 800mm they came at as stock. If I trim them down (to 780? 770?) will it make the bike feel more manoeuvrable and nimble in tight corners?
    800 is quite wide for someone who’s 5’9”. More typical would be in 750-775 range.

Yeah, I'd for sure cut them to 780. Then take some lock on grips that allow you to slid them in off the ends (Ergons work if you use a razor to cut off the little flange on the inside), and try slightly narrower widths until they feel funny. I'm 5'8" and like 760 for single ring grips, 780 for double ring.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkleberryFinn View Post

I'm the same height as you and I run 780's. 800 feels too wide to me. Anything below 760 feels excessively narrow to me. Ymmv.

What are the 800mm bars, and want to trade for some 780s?

I like the 800mm width. Have two aluminum low rise 780s that I pulled off of bikes in favor of 800s - one Race Face, one Salsa.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    when i do this ^^ I tie 3/8ths rope into loop and then I put a wrench in that loop and wind the loop smaller to spread the beads
    I have used use a cinch strap. Gives you a bit wider spread.

Ya I also tried a cam strap ^^ I couldn't pull it tight enough but putting a wrench or screwdriver in the rope allowed me to crank the rope tighter than I could ever pull the strap

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I have used use a cinch strap. Gives you a bit wider spread.
    Yeah, when I strapped it, it just kinda flattened it pushing the beads nowhere. I really think temperature had something to do with it and it was a relatively 'old' new tire, so folded for a long time. I had blown a hole in current tire, so she had a bacon patch. I bought a new one knowing I'll eventually need it, but the bacon held for the entire summer up until just now when we put another hole in it plus the treads were toast. Perfect timing as we flip back n forth to fatbiking. New tire for the spring thaw if I ever get it on!

<snip> I had blown a hole in current tire
    Just guessing... but Maxxis EXO?

IME you wana really crank the rope or strap down on the tire casing which I couldn't do with a cam strap, but cranking on a loop of rope got it down between the sidewalls to spread them against the sides of the rim

I think if you don't have a compressor the beads have to contact the sides of the rim,

then all I have ever used is a normal Beto floor pump to inflate a tubeless tire

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What are the 800mm bars, and want to trade for some 780s?

I like the 800mm width. Have two aluminum low rise 780s that I pulled off of bikes in favor of 800s - one Race Face, one Salsa.
    Just some aluminium E13 bars that came as stock, I doubt they're particularly desirable! Could be an option, but I assume you are in North America somewhere? Shipping + customs fees between there and Austria probably wouldn't make it worthwhile unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just guessing... but Maxxis EXO?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME you wana really crank the rope or strap down on the tire casing which I couldn't do with a cam strap, but cranking on a loop of rope got it down between the sidewalls to spread them against the sides of the rim

I think if you don't have a compressor the beads have to contact the sides of the rim,

then all I have ever used is a normal Beto floor pump to inflate a tubeless tire
    Yeah, I was thinking about how to do it differently next time (or this time because it's still not done) to push the beads outward. And I haven't used a compressor to inflate a tubeless in forever...until this one...and it didn't work. I was shocked.

Is this going to work for greasing my lower link on a santa cruz?

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Pisto...s%2C219&sr=8-8
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I just checked my Bullit sitting behind me in the dining room, It looks like a standard automotive Zerk fitting,

the switch infinity slider on a yeti took a pinpoint fitting

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Is this going to work for greasing my lower link on a santa cruz?

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Pisto...s%2C219&sr=8-8
    Yes, almost all SC have a typical Zero fittings. So that will work.
    Some bikes have a flush mount fitting, which requires a needle type applicator on your grease gun.

What the difference between $20 and $70 floor pumps? The $70 better be blowing me and the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes, almost all SC have a typical Zero fittings. So that will work.
    Some bikes have a flush mount fitting, which requires a needle type applicator on your grease gun.
    Thanks.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    What the difference between $20 and $70 floor pumps? The $70 better be blowing me and the tires.
    Depends which one and how much you use it. My favorite pump is Specialized Air Tool MTB for $90 and it's the best pump I've ever used for the 3-5x per week I use it. I barely use my compressor anymore.

A nicer pump will, like everything else, last longer and be better every time you use it. It will feel better and will probably have a better chuck.

I personally like my Lezyne digital floor pump best, but I have a 30 year old Silca that's still around, putting air in tires on occasion. The $25 Amazon pump I bought a couple of years ago as a spare for the car barely works and is frustrating every time.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

(Hardly an expert) but the Park Tool floor pump I have has reliably served me for ~12y and I prefer it to my buddy’s JoeBlow that lives next to it on the floor in my basement. Looks like similar PT models going for ~45$ on amazon.

Back in the day Beto pumps were 25$ at MEC, I've seen them rebadged for twice the $$ so I bought 3 and they all still work

but now days you probably want one that will create the big shot for doing tubeless tires
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-06-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Getting a 1/2 gal air compressor for installing tires was one of my all-time best bike purchases. My floor pump is gathering dust somewhere, and only gets used on road trips.