Page 263 of 273 FirstFirst ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 6818

Thread: Ask the experts

  1. #6551
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yikes. I suppose spending any money to drop weight off this bike is somewhat silly. It has fenders, frame bag, saddle bag and a lock hanging off it at all times.
    You know there are cheaper and easier ways to drop weight.

  2. #6552
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    You know there are cheaper and easier ways to drop weight.

  3. #6553
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    15' from MT
    Posts
    252
    If you live life on the cheap, the cheap is gonna get you...one way or another. I've never understood that sort of reasoning; sure, 'cheap' has its place, like maybe paper plates or something similar.

  4. #6554
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,140
    Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    If you live life on the cheap, the cheap is gonna get you...one way or another. I've never understood that sort of reasoning; sure, 'cheap' has its place, like maybe paper plates or something similar.
    Well, in this day and age things are often coming from the same factory and the only difference is the label. Regardless, it's probably not worth spending any money making this bike lighter. If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.

  5. #6555
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, in this day and age things are often coming from the same factory and the only difference is the label. Regardless, it's probably not worth spending any money making this bike lighter. If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.
    I think it's more like they come from the same factory and the ones that pass top tier quality control get a name brand sticker on them. The rejects that are still ok-ish get sold as no-names for cheap. So they're sort of the same thing, but not really.

  6. #6556
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    4,806
    Is there a used bike shop in your area?

    The used bike shop near me has a bin of used carbon forks to pick thru for the same price youíd pay for a no-name off eBayÖ.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #6557
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    15' from MT
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.
    Karate Monkey fork and the braze-ons can be used for 'extra' weight.

  8. #6558
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Is there a used bike shop in your area?

    The used bike shop near me has a bin of used carbon forks to pick thru for the same price youíd pay for a no-name off eBayÖ.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yep. Just make sure to use your handy at home ultrasonic tester to check for crash damage on that used carbon fork.

  9. #6559
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    997
    I didnít realize used bike shops existed anymore

  10. #6560
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,808
    So....brake pad compatibility.

    Can anyone confirm that non-finned Saint/Zee pads are compatible with Deore/SLX/XT/XTR 4-piston calipers? It looks like they are, but product descriptions for Shimano Saint/Zee pads don't list the newer 4-piston offerings as compatible - but that could be lack of updating, not lack of compatibility. Truckerco product description does list them all as compatible.

    Finned versions have different shaped fins than Saint/Zee finned pads and obviously won't work.

    Thanks! Want to make sure I can actually get my hands on pads before buying any new 4-piston brakes.

  11. #6561
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Mid-tomahawk
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    So....brake pad compatibility.

    Can anyone confirm that non-finned Saint/Zee pads are compatible with Deore/SLX/XT/XTR 4-piston calipers? It looks like they are, but product descriptions for Shimano Saint/Zee pads don't list the newer 4-piston offerings as compatible - but that could be lack of updating, not lack of compatibility. Truckerco product description does list them all as compatible.

    Finned versions have different shaped fins than Saint/Zee finned pads and obviously won't work.

    Thanks! Want to make sure I can actually get my hands on pads before buying any new 4-piston brakes.
    Yup, they work.

    TRP pads are also the same shape if that helps any.

  12. #6562
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,407
    Anyone have issues with their 1up rack getting stiff arms? I have a 3 spot and a couple of the 6 arms are getting really cranky going up and down and the red lever mechanism that locks unlocks the arms seems to be wonky with them too, tried some penetrating oil, not sure if that’s the best - commence argument about different types of lhbrication. Live in PNW if the climate factor means anything to anyone
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

    fuck that noise.

    gmen.

  13. #6563
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    4,269
    I used bike lube and cycled them a bunch. Worked great


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

  14. #6564
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,743
    I have a older 1UP that has the non serrated bars that the red lever slides on. After lubricating them I did have the rack loosen itself up a couple times with bikes in it. No idea what I used for lube but it scared me off from ever trying that againm
    Last edited by John_B; 12-01-2021 at 02:40 PM.

  15. #6565
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anyone have issues with their 1up rack getting stiff arms? I have a 3 spot and a couple of the 6 arms are getting really cranky going up and down and the red lever mechanism that locks unlocks the arms seems to be wonky with them too, tried some penetrating oil, not sure if thatís the best - commence argument about different types of lhbrication. Live in PNW if the climate factor means anything to anyone
    I seem to recall having that issue with an arm, and that I slightly loosened the mounting hardware to fix it? Memoryís a bit hazy on that though, and I could be smoking crack

  16. #6566
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    31,463
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anyone have issues with their 1up rack getting stiff arms? I have a 3 spot and a couple of the 6 arms are getting really cranky going up and down and the red lever mechanism that locks unlocks the arms seems to be wonky with them too, tried some penetrating oil, not sure if that’s the best - commence argument about different types of lhbrication. Live in PNW if the climate factor means anything to anyone
    Have you tried submerging it in melted wax?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  17. #6567
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,625
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I used bike lube and cycled them a bunch. Worked great


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yup. I used some old muc off dry lube I had laying around (since that trash is not meant for actual bikes ) and the stiffness/creakyness went away and never came back.

  18. #6568
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yup. I used some old muc off dry lube I had laying around (since that trash is not meant for actual bikes ) and the stiffness/creakyness went away and never came back.
    Good stuff all. Will try.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

    fuck that noise.

    gmen.

  19. #6569
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I seem to recall having that issue with an arm, and that I slightly loosened the mounting hardware to fix it? Memoryís a bit hazy on that though, and I could be smoking crack
    This was my solution. The button head that goes from the latch lever to the wheel arm seemed to tighten itself, so I Loctited it at a slightly loose setting and it's been good since then.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  20. #6570
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    This was my solution. The button head that goes from the latch lever to the wheel arm seemed to tighten itself, so I Loctited it at a slightly loose setting and it's been good since then.
    ^ I had the same thing, but only on the left-side arms. Loosening them occasionally has been working, will hit it with Loctite next time!

  21. #6571
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,225
    Anybody on the new Canyon Spectral 29? Super tempting, itís my perfect build (36grip2 w/XT) 160/150r, progressive suspension and geo. Reviews seem really good too, not a plow sled but can go plenty fast. Interested to hear if anybody has one or has experience with Canyon

  22. #6572
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Anybody on the new Canyon Spectral 29? Super tempting, itís my perfect build (36grip2 w/XT) 160/150r, progressive suspension and geo. Reviews seem really good too, not a plow sled but can go plenty fast. Interested to hear if anybody has one or has experience with Canyon
    Friend of mine has one. Parts spec is very nice - what you listed, and DT hubs, good Maxxis tires. I haven't ridden it as it's too small for me.

    Canyon has something of a reputation for warranty issues (as in, nothing gets covered), so YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  23. #6573
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    1,292
    Picked up a fatbike frame Iím going to build hopefully with a decent amount of part bin stuff. I have an eagle rear der and shifter, if I get a micro spline eagle cassette and the proper cranks ( 190 hub) will this work? You donít see a lot of fat bikes with eagle so wondering if there is something Iím missing.

    I also already have a race face turbine 190 spindle ( still need the crank arms). Do I need to flip the front cog? No? Anything?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #6574
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Picked up a fatbike frame Iím going to build hopefully with a decent amount of part bin stuff. I have an eagle rear der and shifter, if I get a micro spline eagle cassette and the proper cranks ( 190 hub) will this work? You donít see a lot of fat bikes with eagle so wondering if there is something Iím missing.

    I also already have a race face turbine 190 spindle ( still need the crank arms). Do I need to flip the front cog? No? Anything?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Eagle needs an XD driver on the hub. Micro spline is shimano.

  25. #6575
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I have a older 1UP that has the non serrated bars that the red lever slides on. After lubricating them I did have the rack loosen itself up a couple times with bikes in it. No idea what I used for lube but it scared me off from ever trying that againm
    Same: 2012 vintage with smooth bars. I just hose it out occasionally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •