Page 262 of 330 FirstFirst ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 8243

Thread: Ask the experts

  1. #6526
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,140
    Definitely pumped up to max in either scenario. Itís the same bike so not two hardtails, just different wheels sets. Think Iíll go Opt 1 first. Short rear for a 29er end at 420mm so thinking itíll work pretty good.

    Not nearly enough N+1 encouragement as I thought either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #6527
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,792
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Not nearly enough N+1 encouragement as I thought either.
    Well since you asked...

    Dirt jump bikes are pretty cheap, they're not particularly prone to becoming outdated, and they're not maintenance intensive. Buy a dirt jumper now and it'll still be just as good 10 years from now. Even if you don't ride it a ton, it's a nice bike to have in the quiver.

  3. #6528
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,140
    Thanks ToastÖ pretty sure Iíll pull the trigger on something just for the rationale that my kids will be big enough to ride it imminently as well.

    Dark horse option I just pulled together thoughÖ old 70* HTA 29x2.2 fast rolling 2010 Lynskey Pro 29.

  4. #6529
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,792
    ^^^ put a shorter stem and maybe a riser bar on that thing and it'd be an entirely serviceable jumper.

  5. #6530
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,188
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^ put a shorter stem and maybe a riser bar on that thing and it'd be an entirely serviceable jumper.
    Until those 29er Crest rims explode. It was light when it was in the air! And then boom!

  6. #6531
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,140

    Ask the experts

    Iím not heavy but the crests are pumping only, no DJ for sure. Will scrounge up a shorter stem for this week if I can find one.

    Was spectating a CX race this afternoon and after a few beers was manual-ing my sons 24ĒÖ pretty sure thereís a DJ in my future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #6532
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    888
    Rear tire slow air leak. Bad enough to go from 27 psi->14psi over the span of 2 hrs. No tire punctures, good rim. Already tried dumping more sealant in. Playing odds: Bad valve or tape job? If I'm already pulling the valve do I bother re-taping or would a visual inspection suffice?

  8. #6533
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,188
    Spray bottle with soapy water. Stop guessing

  9. #6534
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,792
    I prefer guessing. And I'm guessing bad tape.

  10. #6535
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,530

    Ask the experts

    My betís on a valve. Maybe Iím bad at getting valves sealed but Iíve never had a tape leak and always had a valve leak. If you wiggle the valve around a tiny bit or try loosening or tightening the nut on it, itíll make a hiss and confirm it for you. I may start using shoe goo from now to seal the head on as itís been amazing at sealing pinch flats and is super easy to remove if needed

    Or i could ďinvestĒ $50 per valve stem on those fancy onesÖ.

  11. #6536
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    26,903
    I'm looking for leaks in dry suits but a leak is a leak (?) so I would air up a suit and the best way to find that leak is to hold it up close to my face cuz the face is very sensitive but a spray bottle of water with a squirt of dish soap is next level at finding leaks I would miss without soapy water

    I was recently in the vegy dept at safeway where the stock person is in the way so I said " excuse me , I need to take a leek " so a leek is not always a leak
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  12. #6537
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    My bet’s on a valve. Maybe I’m bad at getting valves sealed but I’ve never had a tape leak and always had a valve leak. If you wiggle the valve around a tiny bit or try loosening or tightening the nut on it, it’ll make a hiss and confirm it for you. I may start using shoe goo from now to seal the head on as it’s been amazing at sealing pinch flats and is super easy to remove if needed

    Or i could “invest” $50 per valve stem on those fancy ones….
    If you take a rubber mallet or a block of wood and tap on the valve (from the inside / tire side of the rim), it'll help seat it. Substantially cuts down on leaky valves.

  13. #6538
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,564
    What's the consensus on generic carbon rigid forks? My commuter has a steel fork that probably weighs 3-4 lbs, so swapping to a carbon one saves 2+ lbs for $100. Some threads on MTBR and Singletracks have good things to say but reviews on Amazon are decidedly mixed, mostly due to QC issues with the caliper mounts.

    Some options I'm considering:
    https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Tape...-38&th=1&psc=1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12438757913...3ABFBM2JGcmqlf
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30310401186...3ABFBMrsfxlqlf
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-22-2021 at 04:14 PM.

  14. #6539
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What's the consensus on generic carbon rigid forks? My commuter has a steel fork that probably weighs 3-4 lbs, so swapping to a carbon one saves 2+ lbs for $100. Some threads on MTBR and Singletracks have good things to say but reviews on Amazon are decidedly mixed, mostly due to QC issues with the caliper mounts.

    Some options I'm considering:
    https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Tape...-38&th=1&psc=1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12438757913...3ABFBM2JGcmqlf
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30310401186...3ABFBMrsfxlqlf
    I haven't had any trouble with the one on my Fatbike, but don't know if I'd trust it for continuous road use. The fit and finish isn't great. Face first into the snow @ 10mph would be a bit different than face first into the pavement @40mph.

  15. #6540
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,140

    Ask the experts

    Check the Luesher_teknik Instagram page and those are generally big name brands. Generic steel or even ti NBD. But for me I want name brand Carbon if only bc if thereís something really bad happening would be well known enough. Just hopefully not be the first for it to happen to.

    Carbon forks a plenty in my house, including rigid Niner MTB. Donít think Iíd take the risk myself, especially for a commuter where reliability is king.

    YMMV (edit) and Whiskey mentioned down below isnít generic in that sense since itís house brand of QBP(?) compared to the eBay sellers. Know a few people whoíve had good luck w those


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VTskibum; 11-23-2021 at 04:20 AM.

  16. #6541
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    2,221
    I've used a generic version of the Whiskey fork on my SS 29er for years. The carbon steerer seems to be undersized (stem won't tighten enough), but it hasn't killed me. It's way at the bottom of the (long) list of bikes to ride though, so it gets very little use.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  17. #6542
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    What's the consensus on generic carbon rigid forks? My commuter has a steel fork that probably weighs 3-4 lbs, so swapping to a carbon one saves 2+ lbs for $100. Some threads on MTBR and Singletracks have good things to say but reviews on Amazon are decidedly mixed, mostly due to QC issues with the caliper mounts.

    Some options I'm considering:
    https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Tape...-38&th=1&psc=1
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12438757913...3ABFBM2JGcmqlf
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30310401186...3ABFBMrsfxlqlf

    Been running one on my commuter since 2014 I got off of Nashbar. Flawless. Nothing bad at all to say.

  18. #6543
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I haven't had any trouble with the one on my Fatbike, but don't know if I'd trust it for continuous road use. The fit and finish isn't great. Face first into the snow @ 10mph would be a bit different than face first into the pavement @40mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Don’t think I’d take the risk myself, especially for a commuter where reliability is king.
    My commute route is pretty flat so I don't go faster than 25 mph often. But, catastrophic fork failure at 25 mph would still be a bad time. My thinking was that since these are intended for MTB they'd be overbuilt for road use and unlikely to spontaneously combust, but maybe I'm wrong there? I put about 2,000 mi/yr on this bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Been running one on my commuter since 2014 I got off of Nashbar. Flawless. Nothing bad at all to say.
    No issues with the caliper mounts being off-spec? A number of people reported being unable to set up the caliper without rubbing.

  19. #6544
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    My commute route is pretty flat so I don't go faster than 25 mph often. But, catastrophic fork failure at 25 mph would still be a bad time. My thinking was that since these are intended for MTB they'd be overbuilt for road use and unlikely to spontaneously combust, but maybe I'm wrong there? I put about 2,000 mi/yr on this bike.



    No issues with the caliper mounts being off-spec? A number of people reported being unable to set up the caliper without rubbing.
    You can justify it all you want, but I wouldn't trust it. All three cheap chinese carbon items I've purchased have failed in different ways. The bottom bracket on my fatbike delaminated from the frame... twice. The carbon fork is fraying around where the inserts for the axle are bonded to the through lowers. The double walled carbon rim cracked through the inner wall. I still don't feel ripped off, I got what I paid for. That being said, I'm too old to fall on pavement and while I'll risk it on the fatty, I wouldn't on the roadie.

  20. #6545
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    An Anheuser-Busch Barley Field
    Posts
    5,647
    Is 3 lbs worth your face?

    Isnít to me..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #6546
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    The carbon fork is fraying around where the inserts for the axle are bonded to the through lowers.
    Yikes. I suppose spending any money to drop weight off this bike is somewhat silly. It has fenders, frame bag, saddle bag and a lock hanging off it at all times.

  22. #6547
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yikes. I suppose spending any money to drop weight off this bike is somewhat silly. It has fenders, frame bag, saddle bag and a lock hanging off it at all times.
    You know there are cheaper and easier ways to drop weight.

  23. #6548
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    You know there are cheaper and easier ways to drop weight.

  24. #6549
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    15' from MT
    Posts
    292
    If you live life on the cheap, the cheap is gonna get you...one way or another. I've never understood that sort of reasoning; sure, 'cheap' has its place, like maybe paper plates or something similar.

  25. #6550
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    If you live life on the cheap, the cheap is gonna get you...one way or another. I've never understood that sort of reasoning; sure, 'cheap' has its place, like maybe paper plates or something similar.
    Well, in this day and age things are often coming from the same factory and the only difference is the label. Regardless, it's probably not worth spending any money making this bike lighter. If anything I should strap weights to it and get a harder workout.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •