Page 261 of 524 FirstFirst ... 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,525 of 13090

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Long oval head = giro. No idea if their XL sizes will fit your enormous melon. The switchblade might be a good option for you though.
    This would be my rec as well

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

helmets have been a problem to get somehing big enough so lately i've been a big headed Giro guy both ski and bike, but the Bell Sixer seemed to work for an xc kind of bike helmet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Long oval head = giro. No idea if their XL sizes will fit your enormous melon. The switchblade might be a good option for you though.
    Unless Giro has changed their head forms in the past decade or so, then I’d say fuck no to this. I have a long oval head (wear a long oval Arai helmet). Our shop carried Specialized, Bell, and Giro helmets. Specialized was the most oval, Giro the most round. I have a small head that is very narrow (like kids width), and I could literally put a large giro helmet on sideways on my head. Anything other than Specialized was ridiculously wide on my head. I’ve only worn specialized helmets since ‘94, in many varieties, but they’ve all had a significantly long oval shape.

(Note that I’m talking bike helmets here, I actually do have a Giro snow helmet that is definitely long oval, and it fits very different than any Giro bike helmet I’ve ever tried on.)

I haven’t tried on any of the specialized full face, but have recent road and mountain models.

I had one of those Leatt convertibles. It was narrower than both Fox and TLD from what I recall, but not as much narrower as Bell.

Thanks all, I’ll try to find some shops that carry Giro around here and may be able to order in an XL.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Thanks all, I’ll try to find some shops that carry Giro around here and may be able to order in an XL.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/siz...lery&gallery=0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8F5175E-D573-4DCC-8844-57F92971242C.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	393270

Seriously, check out a Specialized

^^^ Agreed to check out Specialized, although they only make one full face and they don't have a convertible option.

The numbers in that chart look wonky to me - I've found Specialized to fit me pretty similarly to Giro. But he's measuring a Giro Aeon (an ultralight road helmet). Which is kind of random since he's also comparing a POC Trabec (an enduro-y helmet).

At least on the mountain bike side of things, Giro has traditionally been for oval heads and Bell has been for round heads. Giro themselves has said as much: "There is no industry or common standard for what defines “oval” vs “round” fit, but in general Giro’s fit is classified as “oval”."

Based on mountain bike helmets I've owned / worn, I'd subjectively rank them like this:
    [Most oval at top]
    Giro
    Scott
    Specialized
    (^^^ I consider those 3 to be similarly oval-ish)
    Smith
    6D
    POC
    Sweet Protection
    (^^^ I consider those 4 to be middle of the road-ish)
    Fox
    Lazer
    Bell
    (^^^ I consider those 3 to be fairly round)

At least on the mountain bike side of things, Giro has traditionally been for oval heads…
    Maybe my traditions go back further than yours, but I would have loved to be able to have fit into a Giro Switchblade when they first came out, but there’s absolutely no way it could work with my narrow head. Doesn’t mean they haven’t changed the shapes more recently though.

Also, apologies for being a bit harsh in the previous reply. Had a generous helping of strong beer last night and was feeling feisty!

FWIW, I have a large oval head and have gone Specialized for my last two bike helmets, and Giro for my ski helmet. Bike helmet fits better and has less space on the sides but ski helmet is adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    FWIW, I have a large oval head and have gone Specialized for my last two bike helmets, and Giro for my ski helmet. Bike helmet fits better and has less space on the sides but ski helmet is adequate.
    Yep. On my Giro snow helmet I actually had to very slightly compress the foam in one spot on my forehead to eliminate a pressure point. No issues at all with any of the Specialized bike helmets I’ve owned.

Need to replace the snow helmet soon, so if anyone knows of anything that’s even longer/more ovally than Giro I’m all ears

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Maybe my traditions go back further than yours, but I would have loved to be able to have fit into a Giro Switchblade when they first came out, but there’s absolutely no way it could work with my narrow head. Doesn’t mean they haven’t changed the shapes more recently though.
    I never tried the original switchblade, but giros have been oval (at least compared to bell) since I started riding in them and selling them ~25 years ago.

I never tried the original switchblade, but giros have been oval (at least compared to bell) since I started riding in them and selling them ~25 years ago.
    I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
    We may well just have to agree to disagree, but you've got me questioning everything I thought I knew about helmet fit. I had always thought that everyone was agreed that giro was oval, but you've thrown me through a loop.

Fortunately for my peace of mind, I have a shitload of helmets lying around my house, including the (current model) giro switchblade that's being discussed. So I measured a bunch of them.

All are size medium or medium/large. Ratio is length divided by width, so larger numbers are more oval. I couldn't remember the model names on most of these.

Giro switchblade 162 x 223; 1.368 ratio 

Smith 165 x 215; 1.303 ratio

6d 163 x 216; 1.325 ratio

Sweet protection 162 × 214; 1.321 ratio

Scott 161 x 215; 1.335 ratio

Sweet protection Bushwhacker  160 x 212; 1.325 ratio

Lois Garneau 168 x 228; 1.357 ratio

Lazer 168 x 218; 1.297 ratio 

Poc trabec 166 x 216; 1.301 ratio 

Specialized 159 x 212; 1.333 ratio

So yeah, by my measurements, giro is the most oval by a fair amount.

Haha boom data! Nice work Toast. Thanks for helping me out even if the impetus was really proving someone wrong on the Internet (a truly noble goal).

We may well just have to agree to disagree, but you've got me questioning everything I thought I knew about helmet fit. I had always thought that everyone was agreed that giro was oval, but you've thrown me through a loop.

Fortunately for my peace of mind, I have a shitload of helmets lying around my house, including the (current model) giro switchblade that's being discussed. So I measured a bunch of them.

All are size medium or medium/large. Ratio is length divided by width, so larger numbers are more oval. I couldn't remember the model names on most of these.

Giro switchblade 162 x 223; 1.368 ratio

Smith 165 x 215; 1.303 ratio

6d 163 x 216; 1.325 ratio

Sweet protection 162 × 214; 1.321 ratio

Scott 161 x 215; 1.335 ratio

Sweet protection Bushwhacker 160 x 212; 1.325 ratio

Lois Garneau 168 x 228; 1.357 ratio

Lazer 168 x 218; 1.297 ratio

Poc trabec 166 x 216; 1.301 ratio

Specialized 159 x 212; 1.333 ratio

So yeah, by my measurements, giro is the most oval by a fair amount.
    Kudos. That’s probably the most helpful helmet shape info I’ve ever seen. And next time I need a new helmet I’ll have to try on Giro instead of ignoring them.

For what it’s worth, the shop I worked in from ‘96-‘04 carried the full road and mountain lines of Bell/Giro/Specialized helmets. I wasn’t ever able get any size small Giro helmets on my head due to being too short front/back, even though there was plenty of room on the sides. Specialized was (and still is) never a problem.

Of course how Giro fit 20 years ago is no help to someone looking to buy a helmet today.

Honestly, a lot of my take away from measuring the helmets was that the differences between each one are mostly pretty small. A lot of them feel more different than the measurements would suggest. Could chalk that up to differences in the curvature that are tough to measure, differences in the padding, differences in the head retention system, different vent placement, etc.

The obvious conclusion is try different stuff on. Buy the one that fits.

Honestly, a lot of my take away from measuring the helmets was that the differences between each one are mostly pretty small. A lot of them feel more different than the measurements would suggest. Could chalk that up to differences in the curvature that are tough to measure, differences in the padding, differences in the head retention system, different vent placement, etc.

The obvious conclusion is try different stuff on. Buy the one that fits.
    Honestly, kind of sucks that that’s the obvious conclusion. Would make things so much simpler if you could take an additional measurement or two on top of circumference and know exactly what helmets would fit well, especially for people who don’t have access to a wide range of helmets to try on in person.

Yeah that’s my problem. Nobody carries XL/XXL helmets and the factory generally makes a limited number of them, which aren’t even available to some retailers. So I’m often stuck paying an $8.99 return fee to try them on from ordering online.

Definitely agreed that it would be nice to numerically quantify fit, I just don't really see how it could be done in any useful manner. It's hard to put the curvature of a helmet into a useful number, especially when fairly small differences are noticeable. Plus, different helmets are taller or shorter, so even coming up with a standard location to take the measurements is almost impossible. Hell, even the addition of MIPS makes a helmet fit a bit different and that's like .5mm of extra material in there.

Ask the experts

Sorta dumb question but thats rarely stopped me before…

Next week kids (8/10) and I have off school and work. Planning on hitting most of the pump track/skills parks around. Trying to decide what’s best setup of bikes I own for dirt pump tracking….

1) Slack HT 130mm fork 66* w 29x2.6 Butcher/Purgatory trail tires
    2) same slack HT w 27.5+ 2.8 Rekon/Ikon
    3) 160/140 Stumpy - pretty much last choice

Of the three what would be best?

Sorta considering buying a used DJ recently, Norco One25 is $650 and Mongoose Fireball Moto for $700 semi locally but doubtful I’d really get enough use as most pump tracks are 45-60 min away, though one is a paved velo solutions track. Lots of really good trail systems I’d pass driving that far.

WWMD?

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Sorta dumb question but thats rarely stopped me before…

Next week kids (8/10) and I have off school and work. Planning on hitting most of the pump track/skills parks around. Trying to decide what’s best setup of bikes I own for dirt pump tracking….

1) Slack HT 130mm fork 66* w 29x2.6 Butcher/Purgatory trail tires
    2) same slack HT w 27.5+ 2.8 Rekon/Ikon
    3) 160/140 Stumpy - pretty much last choice

Of the three what would be best?

Sorta considering buying a used DJ recently, Norco One25 is $650 and Mongoose Fireball Moto for $700 semi locally but doubtful I’d really get enough use as most pump tracks are 45-60 min away, though one is a paved velo solutions track. Lots of really good trail systems I’d pass driving that far.

WWMD?
    Might sound kinda bonkers but why not throw a 26 in wheel on the rear of your 27.5 HT? I’m all for more
    bikes but if you’ve got 2 hardtails already, you can make one work for a DJ bike.

I don’t even know if 27.5/26 inch wheels are a thing but it could be fun for riding with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'd go #1, with the caveat that it'd be better if you put some smaller, less knobby tires on. But if you don't want to swap them, at least pump them up pretty firm.

^^Hardtail with the fastest rolling tires you own.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Is there going to be much difference between a 31.8 alloy Fatbar and a 35.0 Oneup carbon bar besides weight? I have been using alloy bars since I started.

Agree on bike #1. My 64* HTA HT rides long-and-low jumps great but feels a little weird on steeper jumps, but 66* should ride nicely.