Page 257 of 524 FirstFirst ... 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 13093

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Made extensive use of the hub noise in France these past 3 weeks. Annoying to me at first but invaluable to scatter the hordes of old French people occupying the whole width of the trail. One elder told his ancient friend in a whiny voice that it was amazing "they" didn't even have bells on the bikes. I told him in my angriest French that if he wanted me to wear a bell like a fucking cow he'd need to equip himself with a flashing light which is mandatory for slow-moving farm vehicles.
    Oh the joy of bitching in French...
    I can picture this perfectly in my head, and it's glorious.

800 km ride on the Camino the 100's of pilgrims would be lost in thot and warning bells didn't work so when you ride by it would startle them so they would freak out

the only thing that got their attention was to hit the rear brake/ skid the tire f\while still 30 ft behind them

they still freak out but at least they were not right next to me about to knock me over
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not much trail conflict around these parts, I like being silent like ninja

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    …far fewer incidents of the loud clack when the last pawl engages.
    Does that potentially sound like a chain miscatching/slipping off a chain tooth when shifting? I occasionally get this on an XTR cassette but was always under the impression it was the chain on tooth, not the pawl of the Hydra.

Do you find more resistance (i.e. more slack in the chain when coasting) with the Float? I'm totally happy with how long and quiet Dumonde freewheel grease+oil works.

I want to upgrade wheels on my Specialized Enduro Comp. What should I get?

The stock wheelset, Roval Traverse alloy, has held up OK but the rear hub repeatedly develops play and they are on the heavy side. Typically run 2.5ish tire front 2.3 rear. One bike quiver so sees a fair amount of pedalling but also shuttle and bike park laps.

Should I consider cheap carbon wheels? Also looked at Hunts Enduro alloy offering. $1200ish budget but if the Hunt wheels at less than 600 do the job that is all the better.

If I was gonna spend $1200 for some wheels for an enduro, I'd probably go with Nobl tr37's with a dt 350 hub.

If carbon makes you nervous, I'd do any decent hub laced to a dt ex511 rim. A dt xm1700 wheelset would also do the trick.

The hunt wheels are decent for the price, but they're heavy and they have novatec hubs, which are known for exploding. Granted Hunt uses the "good" novatecs, but they're still novatecs.

15% Blister member discount also gets We Are One Unions with I9 1/1s (just) under $1200. That's a great wheelset.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    15% Blister member discount also gets We Are One Unions with I9 1/1s (just) under $1200. That's a great wheelset.
    This

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never considered NOBL. They look good. I'm not super tough on wheels but have never had carbon hoops so who knows. Looks like both NOBL and We are one have lifetime warranties.

What are the advantages of carbon over a good DTswiss alloy rim?

Definitely prefer a quieter hub. I assume the I9 1/1 is loud and the DT350 can be made fairly quiet with the right grease.

Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've never considered NOBL. They look good. I'm not super tough on wheels but have never had carbon hoops so who knows. Looks like both NOBL and We are one have lifetime warranties.

Definitely prefer a quieter hub. I assume the I9 1/1 is loud and the DT350 can be made fairly quiet with the right grease.
    1/1s aren't nearly as loud as I9s of old. Probably a little louder than a 350 with average lubing but not by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gtdrew View Post
    Lighter in an area where it matters a lot.

Potentially better ride feel (although this varies a lot from rim to rim).

Potentially more durable.

After reading the Blister review on the NOBL TR37's w/ DT350s. I think that is what I'm going to go with. Sound exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks for the recs.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Does that potentially sound like a chain miscatching/slipping off a chain tooth when shifting? I occasionally get this on an XTR cassette but was always under the impression it was the chain on tooth, not the pawl of the Hydra.

Do you find more resistance (i.e. more slack in the chain when coasting) with the Float? I'm totally happy with how long and quiet Dumonde freewheel grease+oil works.
    Yep, that’s the noise.

It actually seems like the float fluid has less drag than the dumonde stuff.

I just chopped off a square taper crank arm with a sawzall to save my townie. Am I an expert now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3784.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	391848

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

It appears you did it without destroying the chain stay so I'd say yes.

Revisiting the Garbaruk cassette topic. Has anyone been running one as part of a Shimano 12-speed setup? Boissal, did you end up purchasing one?

The current price is somewhat reasonable and I don’t mind a delay in getting it. I’m curious if shift quality will go down the drain. It’s hard to ignore losing almost 1/2 lb of unsprung weight compared to the slx cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Revisiting the Garbaruk cassette topic. Has anyone been running one as part of a Shimano 12-speed setup? Boissal, did you end up purchasing one?

The current price is somewhat reasonable and I don’t mind a delay in getting it. I’m curious if shift quality will go down the drain. It’s hard to ignore losing almost 1/2 lb of unsprung weight compared to the slx cassette.
    I didn't, the gear spacing put me off when I was looking into it seriously and I moved on. When my current XT cassette dies I'll get an SLX, bike is enough of a pig as is that I wouldn't notice. If Garbaruk matched the Shimano gearing I'd probably pull the trigger though...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Semi OT; you can find other non-oem cassettes and chains - which - during the shortage of parts (and jacked prices) are enticing. I just bought a ZTTO cassette and a PYC chain for my road bike. I have not installed it yet but its worth a try for the low $.

Who knows; it may be made at the same factory using the same tooling that SRAM uses. I'm sure the material may not be as oem spec and maybe the chamfer is not as good, but it might be good enough.

Do a search for other cassettes.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you about the gear spacing. I’ve really gelled with the shimano gearing and I’m hesitant to move to something different.

Ask the experts

Guy I ride with is using a Garbage cassette with the pretty cage and all on his gravel rig, it sounds awful when he shifts it, so clunky.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Guy I ride with is using a Garbage cassette with the pretty cage and all on his gravel rig, it sounds awful when he shifts it, so clunky.
    My brother-in-law has a Garbaruk cassette with X01 Eagle, setup properly by a mechanic, and it shifts like crap compared to the real thing. He only got it cause the shop was out of stock of SRAM.

Thanks. Between what I’ve read here and elsewhere online, I think I’m going to avoid the temptation for now.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Thanks. I found the video at the end of that thread when I first ran into this issue. The sound on my bike is just like that, and it does go away when lubing the part he says, it just won’t stay away.

Going to try some of the other ideas just to eliminate them, but can’t say I’m feeling very confident as of now.
    Took the cassette off and cleaned the mating surfaces between it and the freebody, put it back together and no noise. Fuck I suck at diagnosing noise!

The cassette is a CS-M9100, not CS-M9101, so the spacer isn’t stuck on, and there’s no loose spacer there. At least I know what the issue is now.

This is on a 2021 Norco Optic I bought used, so either Norco still had some original 12-sp XTR cassettes hangin around, or the seller swapped an old one on.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Fuck I suck at diagnosing noise!
    Noises are thought, they resonate though the bike, sometimes sending vibrations and sounds to the opposite end of the bike.
    75% of the “my bottom bracket is creaky” bikes I work on, it’s not the bottom bracket.
    You develop an ear for some things, and the brain instantly recognizes those sounds when it hears them.
    I’ll pedal their bike around the parking lot and say “your bottom bracket does not creak when I stand up, what do you think it could be?”
    “Let’s clean lube and tighten your seat rails first. “

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Noises are thought, they resonate though the bike, sometimes sending vibrations and sounds to the opposite end of the bike.
    75% of the “my bottom bracket is creaky” bikes I work on, it’s not the bottom bracket.
    You develop an ear for some things, and the brain instantly recognizes those sounds when it hears them.
    I’ll pedal their bike around the parking lot and say “your bottom bracket does not creak when I stand up, what do you think it could be?”
    “Let’s clean lube and tighten your seat rails first. “
    A customer had an intermittent click, another shop didnt find it, I worked on it didnt find it, another guy in the shop worked on it, BB and shit repelced

on the 3rd or 4th attempt the rear QR was found to be half way loose so the wheel would intermittently shift in the drop-outs and make a noise, some how the back wheel had never been off in spite of 3 or 4 guys working on the bike

After diagnosing the noisy seat post on my Yeti i'm liking that carbon paste I often put it on things like seat rails

do you think there are more noises from carbon bikes ??
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-09-2021 at 12:09 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know