Page 256 of 530 FirstFirst ... 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,400 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I don't know anything about those hubs in particular, but the microspline driver on my Chris Kings is extremely prone to creaking. I've already warrantied it once. An XD driver (on the exact same hub) doesn't creak at all. I'm beginning to suspect that the microspline design is just a bit problematic. The guys at Chris King indicated that they'd had some trouble making a microspline driver that worked well, but I don't know the specifics of what makes it tricky.
    I’ve been assuming the noise is internal, but the only time I’m removing the cassette is when there’s noise. Could be dirt build up between the cassette and splines. That’s an easy one to check, so will try that before cleaning/lubing again.

XTR cassette for what it’s worth.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I’ve been assuming the noise is internal, but the only time I’m removing the cassette is when there’s noise. Could be dirt build up between the cassette and splines. That’s an easy one to check, so will try that before cleaning/lubing again.

XTR cassette for what it’s worth.
    Yeah, same here - XTR cassette. I spent a bunch of time fiddling around trying to pin down the location of the creak. Mine was definitely inside the freehub; greasing the splines / cassette didn't do anything. And I have another Novatec hub with microspline that, with the same XTR cassette, never creaked (which is kind of amusing that the cheap hub has been the quiet, reliable one).

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Thanks. Didn’t even think of this route. I might have some cores in a bin downstairs. Time to get digging.
    While you're digging around down there, find your spoke wrench -> the 11-ga side is the core-remover tool you didn't know you had.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, same here - XTR cassette. I spent a bunch of time fiddling around trying to pin down the location of the creak. Mine was definitely inside the freehub; greasing the splines / cassette didn't do anything. And I have another Novatec hub with microspline that, with the same XTR cassette, never creaked (which is kind of amusing that the cheap hub has been the quiet, reliable one).
    In my experience Chris King hubs have been overpriced fragile garbage for about 10+ years now. Several of my crew abandoned them for repeated issues and the attitude from their support matches their elitist price. So no surprise from me that a quiet cheap hub is more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creaking was a big issue when the XTR cassettes were first appearing. The first batch didn't have the .05mm clear plastic spacer that goes under the cassette, and most of them were creaking. Do tou have the freehub body spacer installed?
    (Just throwing this out there, good luck!)

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    In my experience Chris King hubs have been overpriced fragile garbage for about 10+ years now. Several of my crew abandoned them for repeated issues and the attitude from their support matches their elitist price. So no surprise from me that a quiet cheap hub is more reliable.

Yup, pretty much. So many better hub options these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Creaking was a big issue when the XTR cassettes were first appearing. The first batch didn't have the .05mm clear plastic spacer that goes under the cassette, and most of them were creaking. Do tou have the freehub body spacer installed?
    (Just throwing this out there, good luck!)
    For 2021 that spacer would be attached to the backside of the large cog assembly, right? I’m pretty sure I saw it stuck to the backside of that part, but definitely do not have a loose spacer on there.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Thanks. I found the video at the end of that thread when I first ran into this issue. The sound on my bike is just like that, and it does go away when lubing the part he says, it just won’t stay away.

Going to try some of the other ideas just to eliminate them, but can’t say I’m feeling very confident as of now.

Here’s your best solution:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	951914B0-2C5E-4767-906D-B38D0F50586B.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	391232
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    For 2021 that spacer would be attached to the backside of the large cog assembly, right? I’m pretty sure I saw it stuck to the backside of that part, but definitely do not have a loose spacer on there.
    The separate spacer was an added fix for the first run on M9100 cassettes.
    Unless the cassette was from late 2018/early 2019 it will have spacer included and bonded to the back.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 11-02-2021 at 06:52 AM.

They require way too high of a service interval for anyone that actually rides their bike (often). Not remotely worth the price of admission. Buy a White Industry and save a ton of $ (and headaches).

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post

Not all Chris King products are problematic. My old chili and cheese shakers are holding up fine with minimal maintenance required

Anyone know if there is any difference in power between Zee M640 caliper vs. new SLX 4 piston? Would be using SLX lever with either. I did some research, but all I found were some suggestions that the SLX might have better modulation due the the lever, couldn't find any comparisons on just the calipers.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Anyone know if there is any difference in power between Zee M640 caliper vs. new SLX 4 piston? Would be using SLX lever with either. I did some research, but all I found were some suggestions that the SLX might have better modulation due the the lever, couldn't find any comparisons on just the calipers.
    Power is going to be almost exactly proportional to piston area. This link for sketchy replacement pistons suggest they’re the same size pistons in both those calipers, so power will be the same:

https://m.aliexpress.com/i/400115819...Adapt=Pc2Msite

(I thought shimano used to actually publish these specs, but not able to find them anymore?)

Edit: for clarity, knowing piston area is fine for comparing the caliper, but levers are more difficult since they have different mechanical leverage depending on pivot location, blade length, etc.
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 11-02-2021 at 09:04 PM.

I have new SLX 4 pistons, new XTR 4 pistons, new xt 4 pistons and have used the old zee/xt 4 pistons. The new round of shimano brakes are great, the SLX feel absolutely phenomenal and can’t see ever getting another pair of XTR (although they are great!), the biggest thing I like about new caliper body style is they moved the bleed port to a better position for gravity bleeds, have found I can get better overall bleeds on the new body vs the old xt/zee 4 piston (like the m640 you referenced) overall the brake feel is similar tho edge to new brake style, but the bleed port location is big for me, YMMV.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I have SLX four pistons and love them.

I like them better than my Codes or XT two pistons. No complaints.

Ask the experts

Answering a past or future question about Hydra Freehubs: as an experiment, I used Fox Float Fluid in my Hydra Hub and at about 100 miles in, it’s the shit.
    Keeps everything quiet a hell of a lot longer than the Dumonde stuff they recommend, and the pawls seem to be working better…far fewer incidents of the loud clack when the last pawl engages.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Answering a past or future question about Hydra Freehubs: as an experiment, I used Fox Float Fluid in my Hydra Hub and at about 100 miles in, it’s the shit.
    Keeps everything quiet a hell of a lot longer than the Dumonde stuff they recommend, and the pawls seem to be working better…far fewer incidents of the loud clack when the last pawl engages.

Are you mixing with any grease? I've been on the dumond freehub oil/phil wood grease combo, works for about 2-3 rides, then starts getting loud again. (Torch hubs).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I had just put a little bit of the dumonde grease on the pawls then said fuck it and splooged in about 1/2 a pillow pack of Float Fluid.
    The hub has been near silent since.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I had just put a little bit of the dumonde grease on the pawls then said fuck it and splooged in about 1/2 a pillow pack of Float Fluid.
    The hub has been near silent since.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues with just using the Dumonde oil, but I'm not trying to make it quiet (the opposite in fact).

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Interesting. I haven't had any issues with just using the Dumonde oil, but I'm not trying to make it quiet (the opposite in fact).
    Ditto. When the beaters can hear you coming, they're more likely to get the hell out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Ditto. When the beaters can hear you coming, they're more likely to get the hell out of the way.
    At first I found my Hydra hub annoying and was going to quiet it down, but ended up keeping it as-is for exactly this reason.

Made extensive use of the hub noise in France these past 3 weeks. Annoying to me at first but invaluable to scatter the hordes of old French people occupying the whole width of the trail. One elder told his ancient friend in a whiny voice that it was amazing "they" didn't even have bells on the bikes. I told him in my angriest French that if he wanted me to wear a bell like a fucking cow he'd need to equip himself with a flashing light which is mandatory for slow-moving farm vehicles.
    Oh the joy of bitching in French...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Made extensive use of the hub noise in France these past 3 weeks. Annoying to me at first but invaluable to scatter the hordes of old French people occupying the whole width of the trail. One elder told his ancient friend in a whiny voice that it was amazing "they" didn't even have bells on the bikes. I told him in my angriest French that if he wanted me to wear a bell like a fucking cow he'd need to equip himself with a flashing light which is mandatory for slow-moving farm vehicles.
    Oh the joy of bitching in French...
    Haha...

Yeah, I've got one of those bells with the on-off switches but a) the damn thing turns on when I don't want it to, b) it's distracting to me, and c) the damn thing is a hazard to me and/or my bike in a crash. So noisy hub it is. It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The local crew has had hikers bitch at them for their "annoying" bells, but also have people with earbuds in leap off the trail at the last moment because they couldn't hear us. So I'm just going with something that makes noise but isn't super annoying to me.