Page 250 of 530 FirstFirst ... 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 ... LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,250 of 13244

Thread: Ask the experts

Gotta run more sealant with inserts, IME. Inserts don’t absorb sealant but they add more surface area for it to stick to.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Ask the experts

I did add 1/2cup more, but with the insert you can’t do the coating the whole tire/bead/etc as well via the rotation, at least so far.

Came back to check tire, doesn’t seem to be leaking from valve anymore, but was still almost out of air. Going to give it a bit, but this may be my last attempt w inserts.

Edit - looks like last faffing about sorted the leak. This probably shoulda gone into the whine/complaint thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VTskibum; 10-09-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Smacked the derailleur and fucked my shifting. Got the bike on the stand and the hanger was off. The alignment tool showed how hilariously off it was. Tried to bend it back and it shifted and kind of dangled. Slowly removed the hanger bolt and found the problem. It’s a Syntace X-12. Is this by design? Almost put this in the rant thread because the only replacements I could find are in Germany. At least shipping was free.

Attachment 388359
    Yes, the bolt is the intended failure point.

Well, after all my years of Shimano brake fan-boying, my 1yr old MT520 caliper started leaking from a piston today. I noticed the pads where wearing funny a while back, and I had trouble aligning the caliper recently and I suspected a sticky piston, but I was traveling and didn't dig deeper.

Surely I'm fucked for trying to get warranty parts in a timely manner, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The bike has a 27.2 post diameter, also I'm too cheap and don't want to put too much $$ into this bike I plan on selling at some point. I don't have any problem on most of the trails I ride highposting. I just want to take the edge off for long rides.
    late to the party but PNW makes a nice 27.2 dropper

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Well, after all my years of Shimano brake fan-boying, my 1yr old MT520 caliper started leaking from a piston today. I noticed the pads where wearing funny a while back, and I had trouble aligning the caliper recently and I suspected a sticky piston, but I was traveling and didn't dig deeper.

Surely I'm fucked for trying to get warranty parts in a timely manner, right?
    Worth a try, but you’re likely going to be buying a temporary replacement

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Worth a try, but you’re likely going to be buying a temporary replacement

Kind of what I'm guessing. I suppose spare parts are never a bad thing. Looks like mt420 calipers are readily available and should be compatible, no? Only difference appears to be they are the plastic pistons.

Anyone ever run a roller after it popped of chain? (Fell off when removing quick link)

Quote Originally Posted by Billow View Post
    Anyone ever run a roller after it popped of chain? (Fell off when removing quick link)
    Yup. Just put it back. Not a problem.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

What’s everyone using to keep their feet warm in 30 degree temps? Not usually wet, just cold.

Sidi high top insulated shoes
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    What’s everyone using to keep their feet warm in 30 degree temps? Not usually wet, just cold.
    after struggling with getting super cold feet in the fall/winter (sea level BC) in not even below zero temps, I bit the bullet and picked up some Shimano MW7's last fall, and they've been the proverbial game changer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Yup. Just put it back. Not a problem.
    12 speed Shimano chain, for real? In all my years I've never seen that happen but, I've been a pin guy before 12 speed came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Billow View Post
    12 speed Shimano chain, for real? In all my years I've never seen that happen but, I've been a pin guy before 12 speed came along.
    For real, it happens all the time. There is no magic in there, just a metal roller held on by the inner plate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 09.11.05.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	388453

Sorels and flat pedals.

EDIT: Moved question to kids single track bike thread, as it is about that specifically.
    Last edited by Ottime; 10-10-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Wool socks and toe covers or booties.

I have the shimano mw7 goretex boots. They're real warm, like you can be out for hours when it's below freezing. I need to come up with some sort of a way to seal off the tops for wet conditions because water works it's way down through your sock. I have some velotoze things but they need to be a little longer to cover the shoe cuff and go under the tights and stay in place.

I also have shoe covers and toe covers for when it's not as cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    For real, it happens all the time. There is no magic in there, just a metal roller held on by the inner plate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 09.11.05.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	388453
    Okay, thanks. Been wrenching on mtb since 87 and I'm either loosing it or it's the first time I've had it happen. Just went to the work shop and fully disassembled an old chain, yup rollers fall right off. That's about the dumbest and simplest thing I've learned in a long time.

It’s so quiet, it’s so cool, it’s so cold

I did a gravel bike sesh last week at 1 C degree I had some gortex raincovers which helped a lot but it was still on the cool side probably due to the wind out on the road,

riding off road up on the bluff its been heavy socks and a high top skate type shoe and its warmed up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Edit: Moved to kid bike thread
    Last edited by VTskibum; 10-11-2021 at 05:13 PM.

velotoze have been a game changer for me for winter riding. wool stocks with velotoze. I did the liege Bastogne Liege in the snow with no issues a few years back.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Getting a modern enduro bike + bike bag under 10lbs? Already over 44lbs using the bike scale. Feels over 50 with just the bike and the Dakine bag. Flying to MX in a couple weeks and trying to figure out how to get the weight down. May have to take the fork and pedals and put them in my clothing bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Getting a modern enduro bike + bike bag under 10lbs? Already over 44lbs using the bike scale. Feels over 50 with just the bike and the Dakine bag. Flying to MX in a couple weeks and trying to figure out how to get the weight down. May have to take the fork and pedals and put them in my clothing bag.
    Going to the TSN? I can’t help you on bag weights, but do whatever you can to eat at the taco stand called EL Lechoncito de Oro, get the Chicharrón tacos with the spicy green sauce. I don’t think they set up till about 9pm. Report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I’ve only flown with my bike in a cardboard bike box, and never had a problem coming up under 50lbs. I think the box weighs ~8lbs, so that gives you 42lbs for the bike.