Page 246 of 524 FirstFirst ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 13092

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The rear wheel on my kids commencal has all kinds of dents that I ghetto repaired with knipex and it's also out of true bigly. Problem is it's a 27.5 wheel with quick release style hub spacing (135x10mm ??) for low end 11-speed sram.

I've perused and haven't found a good way to source a 27.5 mtb wheel replacement with the standards (i.e. QR sizing and 11 speed sram cassette)

Any solutions out there?
    I think you’re tripping yourself up looking for a “11 speed SRAM hub”
    I read “low end 11-speed SRAM”, and I assume it’s a HG freehub body. If your 11 speed cassette has a 11 tooth smallest gear (not a 10 tooth) than it’s a standard HG freehub.
    The standard HG freehub is a also called a Shimano 8-9-10 speed.
    You should be able to find plenty of wheels that are 27.5, 135 QR, HG freehub.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I’m sure this has been discussed ad infinitum but what pump do you bring with you? I’ve had a couple now that really suck to use / pieces fall out when riding. Presta only needed.
    The OneUp is my current favorite middle ground of not sucking and fitting in a fanny pack. I have the smaller 70cc one but it still moves a lot of air.

If you're still wearing a backpack, the Topeak Mountain Morph is rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    There a difference between a dealer account for bike shops and OEM pricing for manufacturing/builders.

I’m trying to understand the difference of purchasing parts in North America to assemble custom frames here, or paying a Taiwanese factory for the parts (plus their markup) and assembly fee.
    Completely assembled bikes carry a higher tariff, while individual bike parts carry a lower tariff.
    I am assuming that full build (plus markup and assembly) offshore would be cheaper (due to their volume discount) than sourcing the parts and assembly in here in North America with the purchasing power of a frame builder account.
    its was back in the day early 2000's but when asked Pippin the Banshee guy why he didnt make them in NA ?

He said Taiwan was the place to build bikes cuz they got the parts, they got the tubes, they got the welders they got the factories which he rented SO the expertise was all there

back in the day I bought an 86 marin with really shitty narrow tires but they did that for a reason cuz bikes with tires < 1.5 had a different tariff so the dealer brought the bikes in and upgraded the tires
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I think you’re tripping yourself up looking for a “11 speed SRAM hub”
    I read “low end 11-speed SRAM”, and I assume it’s a HG freehub body. If your 11 speed cassette has a 11 tooth smallest gear (not a 10 tooth) than it’s a standard HG freehub.
    The standard HG freehub is a also called a Shimano 8-9-10 speed.
    You should be able to find plenty of wheels that are 27.5, 135 QR, HG freehub.
    Thanks. I suspected I don’t know shit. I’ll count the teeth but I have confidence you nailed it

This is my go to, have one for each of four bikes. It has GIRTH. And attaches to a frame easily and securely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	388C0700-5B64-4EA5-9985-52055E5E58C9.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	386403
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    For Ghetto tubeless, I need a size smaller than the wheel, right?

My kids' bikes (Woom Off 5) Came with non-tubeless, Schrader valve, 24" rims. I'm thinking my best is the ghetto-tubeless route as the tubeless ready Schwalbe tires fit fairly loosely.
    I think we discussed this earlier in this thread or in the tires thread but I’ve done the gorilla tape multi wrap to get a 20” tire to seat on a non tubeless rim. Eventually let the pressure get too low and he had a wreck. Bad parenting. I keep the pressure up a bit now and he is fine. I think trying to lower his rolling weight and give him a little smoother ride with his full ridged setup has been worth it but you have to keep an eye on it. I figure if we freak out over weight relative to our overall weight and power it should matter more for little riders, not less. Just trying to help him get up more climbs/clean more stuff. Next time I’d probably try ghetto tubeless for a more secure setup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSnow View Post
    I think we discussed this earlier in this thread or in the tires thread but I’ve done the gorilla tape multi wrap to get a 20” tire to seat on a non tubeless rim. Eventually let the pressure get too low and he had a wreck. Bad parenting. I keep the pressure up a bit now and he is fine. I think trying to lower his rolling weight and give him a little smoother ride with his full ridged setup has been worth it but you have to keep an eye on it. I figure if we freak out over weight relative to our overall weight and power it should matter more for little riders, not less. Just trying to help him get up more climbs/clean more stuff. Next time I’d probably try ghetto tubeless for a more secure setup.

If you don't mind me asking, how big a kid are we talking about here? My kids are pretty light, like low 40s, so while they don't weigh enough or charge hard enough yet to cause a pinch flat on a tube, I'm curious about at what point I switch them over. I.e. at what point is there some benefits to tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The OneUp is my current favorite middle ground of not sucking and fitting in a fanny pack. I have the smaller 70cc one but it still moves a lot of air.

I’ll second the OneUp. I have the 100cc mounted to my frame, with the EDC tool stored in the pump. So far I’ve only had to use the pump once, but it worked nicely.

Same. Been using the OneUp for a few years. Moves a lot of air, it’s sealed so it doesn’t get grime inside, but is easy to pull apart and clean, and with the EDC kit it makes a decent weapon.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how big a kid are we talking about here? My kids are pretty light, like low 40s, so while they don't weigh enough or charge hard enough yet to cause a pinch flat on a tube, I'm curious about at what point I switch them over. I.e. at what point is there some benefits to tubeless.
    I probably made the switch when my two eldest boys were 5 and 6, low to mid 40s weight. They are 7 and 9 now. Like I said, I wasn’t really doing it for flats, though I don’t know if it would be too hard to pinch flat at really low pressures. Was just trying to help them get deflected less and be able to get up climbs/last a bit longer with lower rolling weight. W/ 24” stans rims I can run the older guy in the teens psi wise and he isn’t pulling that tire off at his speed/weight but he is getting deflected less and that drop in rolling weight did seem to help him in climbs. 5 year old is on a 20” full rigid spawn. He especially could get majorly deflected so easily. Kind of crazy some the stuff that would happen and he’d still hold on. It definitely has helped him both clearing stuff and trying to keep up with his brother. One came tubeless ready, the other I wanted to get wider tires anyways so I figured why not. But I feel like it’s been worth it. They were just starting to do intermediate stuff when we made that switch and were having trouble on just about any climb that had the slightest whiff of tech. Now I feel pretty good taking them on just about any intermediate trail.

alright all the votes for OneUp did it, got the 70cc / EDC, thanks!

another OneUp here. I'm on 100cc fixed to bike next to water bottle with bacon and gas in. One Up EDC in stem. One Up pump doubles as a CO2 as well.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Another vote for OneUp EDC pump. When I carry a pump, its my go to.
    I have the EDC Tool with a CO2 in my stem. Tucked under my saddle (not a seat bag), I have a second C02 with valve head, a Dynaplug tool, a tire boot and a Tubolito.
    Beside my bottle cage mount I have a holder for the EDC 70cc pump, which I carry for longer rides where a walk out would not be ideal. I throw in a 3rd CO2 carterage inside the EDC 70cc Pump.
    But most days I ride without the pump strapped to the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    For Shimano, contact your local rep- probably Bradley if you’re in CO. He should be able to get you set up with a frame builder account.

PM Me if you need his contact info.

I'm stumped:
    - I bought a 210mm oneup v2 dropper, instructions say check air pressure on extension before install (should be 250 - 300psi) - I do so, and it looks ok. I cycle the post before install and air whooshes out the bottom (green assembly). 10 cycles get the pressure down to 200psi.
    - I return the dropper to the retailer as faulty and pick up replacement
    - Same thing happens with replacement.

Am I missing something or have I received two faulty posts and need to try again? Or both? Something I'm not considering?

This post may self destruct...

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    I'm stumped:
    - I bought a 210mm oneup v2 dropper, instructions say check air pressure on extension before install (should be 250 - 300psi) - I do so, and it looks ok. I cycle the post before install and air whooshes out the bottom (green assembly). 10 cycles get the pressure down to 200psi.
    - I return the dropper to the retailer as faulty and pick up replacement
    - Same thing happens with replacement.

Am I missing something or have I received two faulty posts and need to try again? Or both? Something I'm not considering?

This post may self destruct...
    Contact the OneUp guys directly. They have always been super quick to respond.

You weren't kidding - 121 min from outreach email to a response.

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    You weren't kidding - 121 min from outreach email to a response.
    yeah, I had ordered some pedals from them and didn't know there was a local code to pick them up at the warehouse here in Squamish, anyway, Canada Post had them as "delayed" on shipping for over 2 weeks, so emailed One Up, said no worries come by the warehouse and pick up a set, just return the other ones when you receive them. Solid company

Air coming out the bottom is normal, the extra space getting taken up by the upper shaft sliding into the post has to go somewhere. And the air volume in those things is tiny, connecting a pump a time or two would easily drop 50psi just from filling the pump itself up.

Edit: just saw that OneUp replied, how did I do?

I've sent them a vid at their request - no response yet but I did confirm that each attachment of the shock pump was dropping it by 20psi or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Same. Been using the OneUp for a few years. Moves a lot of air, it’s sealed so it doesn’t get grime inside, but is easy to pull apart and clean, and with the EDC kit it makes a decent weapon.

I have had the OneUp 100cc pump with EDC tool running every day for about 16 months (no riding during winter months for me). On a ride on Sunday, the pump liberated itself from my bike -- the soft rubber closure clapse snapped, and apparently the mount could not contain both my radness and the pump at the same time. Bye bye pump, tool, bacon strip/tool, tire boot... Truthfully, it was a barely moderate amount of radness but she's gone gone gone.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Closure breaking, and then losing yer pump?

OneUp gave me a "crash replacement" coupon code for 40% off, so I ordered another set. I may use a ski strap to keep it in place going forward.

Other than that minor issue, I've loved the pump. Best hand pump I've used, well-thought-out, fits the tool, and I never carry a backpack now. Just sling you leg over and start pedaling -- Love that feeling.

Also, OneUp's solid and timely response to question about warranty/crash-replacement further solidified my thumbs-up for OneUp.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I have had the OneUp 100cc pump with EDC tool running every day for about 16 months (no riding during winter months for me). On a ride on Sunday, the pump liberated itself from my bike -- the soft rubber closure clapse snapped, and apparently the mount could not contain both my radness and the pump at the same time. Bye bye pump, tool, bacon strip/tool, tire boot... Truthfully, it was a barely moderate amount of radness but she's gone gone gone.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Closure breaking, and then losing yer pump?

OneUp gave me a "crash replacement" coupon code for 40% off, so I ordered another set. I may use a ski strap to keep it in place going forward.

Other than that minor issue, I've loved the pump. Best hand pump I've used, well-thought-out, fits the tool, and I never carry a backpack now. Just sling you leg over and start pedaling -- Love that feeling.

Also, OneUp's solid and timely response to question about warranty/crash-replacement further solidified my thumbs-up for OneUp.
    Mine lives in my pack, so no experience with the holder. But yeah, a ski strap sounds like the move.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Welp, blew up my X2 a while back and sent to QBP for a full rebuild. Felt amazing for half day at the park and then blown again. Fuck that noise. Great shock if you are super pro spancered and have 5 of them in the truck at all times.

Of course the shop had a barely used Push in stock tuned for my bike.

Being a bike addict is more expensive than being a crack head I bet.

I broke the little rubber strap on my OneUp pump but noticed it before the ride. Used a twist tie to secure it until the little 3 pack of straps arrived. Think it was $10 for the pack of 3? I'll probably replace the strap yearly now.
    "Just send it you pussy."

I though about putting a co2 cartridge in my 100cc One Up pump and then realized that I have no desire to carry more stuff to save like 1 minute of pumping every 1-3 years when I get a flat. I’ve never used it myself but I’ve lent it to friends twice and it aired up their tires super fast. I’ve got a plug kit, spare link, zip ties and stuff crammed in there.