Page 242 of 524 FirstFirst ... 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 13088

Thread: Ask the experts

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    How fucked up would it be to put a 150mm fork on a bike designed around a 130?

I can't let it go and want to make my sb115 more "racey". I have 4 tokens in the 34 factory 130mm and it's a lot better, but I think I would get more grip and like the geo a bit more with a bigger fork. A 36 lowered to 140 is the best bet, but I am trying to put this all together before next weekend possibly.

It's 20mm so less than an inch at the bars. Around half that at the bottom bracket. No big deal but the bike geometry nerds will not agree with me.

Mostly I think doing a fairly dramatic change right before a race doesn't make much sense. The bike is going to handle fairly differently being massively overforked. I'd argue that if it's smooth enough that a 115mm travel bike is the faster option, it's smooth enough that a 130 fork is gonna be fine.

There's also the question of whether the headtube is gonna stay attached. Probably will. But, y'know, it's a Yeti...

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    It's 20mm so less than an inch at the bars. Around half that at the bottom bracket. No big deal but the bike geometry nerds will not agree with me.
    I think from the manufacturers perspective, the issue would be with the increased leverage the longer fork is going to have on the headtube, which, combined with the likelihood that you’re also going to hit stuff harder with a longer fork, is going to increase the risk of a frame failure.

Geometry wise, you’re going to slacken the front end by about 1 degree. Reach will be a bit shorter, BB height will increase maybe 13 mm?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    <snip>
    There's also the question of whether the headtube is gonna stay attached. Probably will. But, y'know, it's a Yeti...

Yeah, I think I will just run it as is. Putting DD tires front and rear made a big difference. This bike is stupid fast. I have already broken PRs that I set with the SB150. It gets fucking scary....aka really fun....at top speed on this little bike.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Only the first 9 clicks do anything.
    Thanks!

I’ve never used a shock pump that felt well designed for its purpose. Any recommendations for something different than the norm?

Fox digital shock pump. Was a game changer for me. Worth the 4x price premium.
    Plus, cycle your suspension as you pump it up keeps the neg chamber from going full retard.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Plus, cycle your suspension as you pump it up keeps the neg chamber from going full retard.

I got a Tusk moto branded version of this pump.

Fox/Rockshox/Cane Creek/Tusk are identical from what I can tell (same appearance, same manual). Happy with the performance, and the digital gauge gives me a warm fuzzy feeling compared to the old analog Fox pump I had, though to be fair, the Fox pump always seemed to work fine, and comparing the with the new digital pump it seems like the gauge was accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, tryed and tested shock pump that can actually get to 200 psi?

Here's a laugh for you all at my expense.

Yesterday I was bored and this post reminded me that I haven't checked the pressure in my fork and shock since spring and hey, why not go do that instead of more mindless internet time.

Head to the garage, get started and my pump isn't working. And of course when trying to connect I lost most of the air, so no morning ride for me today.

Look online and my local guy is closed Monday. Really don't want to miss a ride so I ordered one for next day delivery from Amazon. (I know, I know).

It arrived today earlier than expected so I was in a great mood - get this sorted and I can still ride today.

Start pumping and around 150 psi the pos new pump started leaking. Lost all pressure by the time I could remove it. Fuuuck.

Go hunting around online, find one oh just over an hour away. (left at 2pm, got home at 4:30 thank you shitty GTA traffic)

You'll never guess what happens next!

With the second brand new pump in hand, start pumping and the gotdamned hose disconnects suddenly. The ~175 psi air to the face made me swing back, dropping my bike into another bike. Fucking shit show.

Three pumps in two days. Zero riding in the meantime.

Attachment 385308
    This won't be helpful, but I have that one on the right with a worn off Nashbar logo. It's at least 15 years old and working fine. Even had the guage checked once and it was surprisingly accurate. Pumped a shock up to 250 this weekend. But now I'm gonna keep an eye on those hose ends. Sounds like maybe there's a factory in China that's had some turnover.

Maybe buy a little hose clamp and put that thing back together. Test with care.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Maybe buy a little hose clamp and put that thing back together. Test with care.
    Yeah I considered that or crimping it back on but honestly just want to return this thing. I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic but if there was any grit or oil in the blast I could have lost an eye. I'd never feel comfortable using it again.

I’m on a 2017 Fox 34 Rhythm on my 27.5 Giant Trance. I got offered a 2020 Fox 36 Factory with FIT4 damper for $600.

I’m 200 lbs, like riding fast on backcountry and bike hills, but don’t hit DH bike parks. Any guesses on if there be a noticeable increase in stiffness and damper performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I’m on a 2017 Fox 34 Rhythm on my 27.5 Giant Trance. I got offered a 2020 Fox 36 Factory with FIT4 damper for $600.

I’m 200 lbs, like riding fast on backcountry and bike hills, but don’t hit DH bike parks. Any guesses on if there be a noticeable increase in stiffness and damper performance?
    I had a 2018 34 Performance Elite on my Trance Advanced 1 and it sucked BALLS. I don't know how you could do any worse... maybe if you put on a Fox 32?

I've got an MRP Ribbon coil out front now and it's night and day better. Although I'm no damper aficionado.

190-ish geared up.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

It will be noticeably better in every respect, but for that much money, I'd hold out for a 36 with a Grip2 damper. The Fit4 is ok, the grip 2 is great. I may well just be out of the loop, but for $600, I'd think you could find a grip2 36 that's in good shape.

Anyone have one of these? I’m tired of using dinky shock pumps at home. Give me a little emergency one for long trips and a proper pump for home.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Missed this earlier. That looks great, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Anyone have one of these? I’m tired of using dinky shock pumps at home. Give me a little emergency one for long trips and a proper pump for home.

Yup. It’s nice. I keep my hand pump in the truck and this is in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post

We use those at my shop, they’re great. Especially so for a tool that gets used multiple times every day. We do have to replace the batteries in them often, but they’re cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It will be noticeably better in every respect, but for that much money, I'd hold out for a 36 with a Grip2 damper. The Fit4 is ok, the grip 2 is great. I may well just be out of the loop, but for $600, I'd think you could find a grip2 36 that's in good shape.
    I just got on the grip 2 coming from a 2016 era lyrik.
    It's an absolute revelation. I did have to upgrade to boost up front so maybe some confounding but I definitely track better. The dedicated HS/LS circuits do what they say they do. Still dialing in but so far only good things to say.

Yeah I considered that or crimping it back on but honestly just want to return this thing. I'm not trying to sound overly dramatic but if there was any grit or oil in the blast I could have lost an eye. I'd never feel comfortable using it again.
    Don't blame you. Looks like you paid at least 4x what I did, and apparently those little fingers they're hiring these days aren't up to the task. Taking the shock/bike with you to test out the next shock?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

I had to buy a new pump for the higher pressures when I got the Yeti and I been using it on the Bullit, the shockair was available localy and it works fine IME.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Can o worms?!

I've been looking for a wheel set for my old fat bike for years and I'm close to giving up on a plug and play set and am thinking about sourcing hubs and rims to build my own.

I'm barely savvy enough to understand hub sizes, spoke count, bolt pattern hub spacing etc so I think I can hopefully source the correct parts but I've never built a wheel. Is this something a complete newb can do with out a truing stand or should I pass it to the LBS?

Can o worms?!

I've been looking for a wheel set for my old fat bike for years and I'm close to giving up on a plug and play set and am thinking about sourcing hubs and rims to build my own.

I'm barely savvy enough to understand hub sizes, spoke count, bolt pattern hub spacing etc so I think I can hopefully source the correct parts but I've never built a wheel. Is this something a complete newb can do with out a truing stand or should I pass it to the LBS?
    It's not rocket surgery, but finishing it without a truing stand is harder.

If your shop is cool with it, you could lace the wheel yourself and then give it to the shop for final tensioning / dishing / truing.

You could also just buy a truing stand - you can get generic ones for pretty cheap.

It's certainly possible to just do it in the frame with a zip tie, but for your first wheel build, that's probably not a great option.