Page 230 of 533 FirstFirst ... 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... LastLast
Results 5,726 to 5,750 of 13303

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Pfffffft. Surely you two must realize what all the whispering is about when you show up at the TH
    I'm always well prepared for that whispering when I show up at the TH.

Name:  the-bird1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  78.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed. Smash is pretty close to my favorite bike I've been on in the last 5 years. Trail pistol on the other hand is quite a ways down the ranking.
    Interesting report. I briefly considered a long travel GG mullet before our Italy trip was shit canned. Still wondering. Anyone have experience with a Megatrail plus 29" Front, or a Gnarvana plus 27.5" rear? Planning ahead 1 year and everyone knows planning a new bike is just as fun as getting a new bike, right?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Mineral oil and suspension fluid will play nice. I've been using 2.5 wt shock oil instead of overpriced mineral oil labeled for brakes for years in Shimano brakes and Magura moto clutches.
    Thanks! I'm out of town for a couple days, but will give it a try when I'm back.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed. Smash is pretty close to my favorite bike I've been on in the last 5 years. Trail pistol on the other hand is quite a ways down the ranking.
    Sad about the trail pistol beta. Theoretically I love the idea of a short travel trail bike paired with an enduro bike with that modular platform. I hoped carbon rear would help the back end by reducing some of that weight the shock has to return. What made the trail pistol move down that list for you?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I definitely liked the idea of the trail pistol. And I still do - I love my spur, which is at least in the neighborhood of what the TP intends to be. But the TP is pretty heavy for a short travel bike, and the frame is super stiff. Which means it's (relatively) a bit piggish on the climbs, and it beats you up a bit more than necessary.

Ultimately, the Smash doesn't really weigh that much more (since it's the same frame), it climbs pretty well, it descends significantly better than the TP (more travel usually does that), and more travel cancels out the negative attributes of the stiff frame.

Interesting... I absolutely love my Trail Pistol, but I also prefer a mid-travel trail bike for my style of riding. I've put some huge days on the bike (30+ miles, 5000' climbing) and have zero complaints, and I appreciate the DH capabilities when it comes time to rip it. With the steep STA and slack HTA (I've got a 150mm fork on mine), it can handle just about anything I ride up or down.

See my post above, I've got mine set up as a Pistola (132mm rear travel) and a pretty burly build. It definitely doesn't compare in weight to something like the Spur/Ranger/Izzo/Ripley, but it can also handle a lot more in terms of rowdy riding than those bikes, IMO. FWIW, I also have a couple of friends who ride the Smash and absolutely love that bike, too. It all just depends on what you are personally looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Interesting report. I briefly considered a long travel GG mullet before our Italy trip was shit canned. Still wondering. Anyone have experience with a Megatrail plus 29" Front, or a Gnarvana plus 27.5" rear? Planning ahead 1 year and everyone knows planning a new bike is just as fun as getting a new bike, right?
    I started with a Smash, converted to Gnarvana, then moved to Megatrail MX/mullet. 160mm fork on all 3. I'm 5'-8", 30" inseam, 0 ape index, and far and away prefer the MX. What sort of feedback are you looking for? Component spec, handling characteristics, other?

Ask the experts

No experience, but there are a couple posts from GG guys on Ridemonky where they suggest starting with a 27.5 bike. The GG MX builds are based on the 27.5 bikes, which makes sense cause the zero stack lower headset cup gives you more flexibility to run a 29” fork/wheel without much change to the intended geo.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Dan, you should try Smash mode if you get a chance. I’ve spent a good amount of time on the three 29er modes and the Smash is by far my favorite. You’re on the right track with the 150mm fork. I thought the TP felt a little unbalanced with 140, which is weird for me to say cause I’m typically anti overforking.
    I'm in full 27.5 mode with a 170 fork.

You might also consider a Mara/Mara Pro. Might be easier to find one? The couple friends that have them are in love with them.
    My Mara Pro was a huge improvement over the Topaz T3 I had before. More plush off the top and handles big hits better without any volume spacers.

At some point I'll definitely pull the front end off the wife's Stumpy Evo and try out MegaMX mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm in full 27.5 mode with a 170 fork.
    Good lord. I had to go back to figure out where I got the idea you were on a Trail Pistol. I think I confused one of smmokan's post with yours. I even remember you saying you were looking at a Megatrail and thought it was strange that you'd chosen a 29er. I can't even blame being high, though maybe NOT being high was the problem?

Did you get a used one with AL stays, or did you end up buying new with carbon stays? That could be part of the weight discrepancy? Either way, congrats on the new rig!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Good lord. I had to go back to figure out where I got the idea you were on a Trail Pistol. I think I confused one of smmokan's post with yours. I even remember you saying you were looking at a Megatrail and thought it was strange that you'd chosen a 29er. I can't even blame being high, though maybe NOT being high was the problem?

Did you get a used one with AL stays, or did you end up buying new with carbon stays? That could be part of the weight discrepancy? Either way, congrats on the new rig!
    The supposed 6.5 lb weight is with the aluminum rear triangle. So far only the Trail Pistol is available with a carbon badonkadonk.

I had a plan to buy myself a new bike next spring as a 40th present and was leaning toward something in 29" flavor for that. But with the recent price increases that was starting to look financially iffy, and I'm now fully addicted to the Manitou/Hayes/Reynolds ecosystem. So, when a great deal on a barely-used MT frame popped up I decided to jump on it (seriously, it's mint, not a nick on it anywhere).

I'm still super stoked about it. I was hoping for a maiden voyage this weekend, but discovered last night that GG changed their shock hardware size. Luckily I found some in stock, but to get it before Monday would have cost me more in shipping than the cost of the parts.

The supposed 6.5 lb weight is with the aluminum rear triangle. So far only the Trail Pistol is available with a carbon badonkadonk.

I had a plan to buy myself a new bike next spring as a 40th present and was leaning toward something in 29" flavor for that. But with the recent price increases that was starting to look financially iffy, and I'm now fully addicted to the Manitou/Hayes/Reynolds ecosystem. So, when a great deal on a barely-used MT frame popped up I decided to jump on it (seriously, it's mint, not a nick on it anywhere).

I'm still super stoked about it. I was hoping for a maiden voyage this weekend, but discovered last night that GG changed their shock hardware size. Luckily I found some in stock, but to get it before Monday would have cost me more in shipping than the cost of the parts.
    But how do you shift

When I get back to biking next year and am looking at replacing the scratched to ish 36 on my enderbro bike that Mezzer Pro is very high on the list.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Is that Mezzer Pro really only available in 170mm or 180mm?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    But how do you shift
    Still rocking SRAM 11 sp and waiting until my current cassette wears out and/or I break the RD to consider options. New Shimano looked like the bee's knees at first but the durability issues are giving me pause. e13 Helix is tempting but also needs more long-term data.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is that Mezzer Pro really only available in 170mm or 180mm?
    Out of the box, yes. But, it comes with travel spacers that can reduce it down as low as 140 mm. Super easy, one beer job.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    But how do you shift

When I get back to biking next year and am looking at replacing the scratched to ish 36 on my enderbro bike that Mezzer Pro is very high on the list.
    You will not regret the Mezzer Pro.

Boring I know, but picked up a Fox that fits off PB. Wasn't looking for anything too high end as this is a 2nd/temporary shock to sometimes run my Stumpy in LT mode.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    2021 Fox x2 leaking at HSC/LSC knobs. Shop says send to QBP. Somewhere better faster turn around?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On the Mezzer

Out of the box, yes. But, it comes with travel spacers that can reduce it down as low as 140 mm. Super easy, one beer job.
    Super easy, one beer job --- assuming you are adept with fork maintenance AND have the correct tools. Hayes sells a fork service kit that includes the stuff you need and may not have in your shop. https://hayesbicycle.com/products/pr...end-cap-socket

I am not adept with fork maintenance lol. But I'm learning.

Video on the job is on the product page -- how refreshing! Nice change from the majors who don't seem to want home-garage mechanics opening their forks. https://hayesbicycle.com/products/me...32139567956013

Mezzer takes a bit more to dial in than the Fox 36 Perf Elite that it replaced. But it is the same weight, way stiffer, better small-bump, better mid-stroke, and better big hits. The only things that are worse are the silly jokes about the fork being on backwards, and many mechanics not having lots of experience working on them. Definitely a trade-off to consider. The flipside is they actively encourage YOU to do the work.
    sproing!

My road bike might be in the shop for awhile, so I'm kicking the tires on a backup / spare and found this classic on our local Craigslist:
    https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...358956847.html

Name:  00E0E_7uSnTYyZtvH_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  72.7 KB

Not something I would usually consider, but this would just be to goof around; I'd probably just ride it for a few weeks and then sell it once my bike is out of the shop.

Has anyone ever ridden one? It must be about 30 years old, any concerns about the carbon beam failing?
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 08-12-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    On the Mezzer

Super easy, one beer job --- assuming you are adept with fork maintenance AND have the correct tools. Hayes sells a fork service kit that includes the stuff you need and may not have in your shop. https://hayesbicycle.com/products/pr...end-cap-socket

I am not adept with fork maintenance lol. But I'm learning.
    This is all true. The 24 mm socket isn't needed for the travel change, and it's possible to do the travel change without the special 8 mm socket and cassette tool, but I'd recommend buying it anyway. The money you save not buying a new air shaft pretty much pays for the tool kit. If you do it with the fork horizontal and you're careful you won't lose any bath oil.

Also, with all Manitou forks, be sure you screw the shock pump ALL the way on, not just until you hear the "hiss." There's no dimple like Fox/RS to equalize the pos/neg chambers; there's a poppet valve that only activates if you screw the pump head ALL the way on. If you don't screw the pump ALL the way on you'll only fill the neg chamber and things will be...not right. Also, on the "Pro" forks with the IRT spring, fill the IRT chamber first, then fill the main chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The only things that are worse are the silly jokes about the fork being on backwards, and many mechanics not having lots of experience working on them. Definitely a trade-off to consider.
    I would add: Most fenders won't work with the reverse arch and the stock fender is just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    My road bike might be in the shop for awhile, so I'm kicking the tires on a backup / spare and found this classic on our local Craigslist:
    https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...358956847.html

Name:  00E0E_7uSnTYyZtvH_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  72.7 KB

Not something I would usually consider, but this would just be to goof around; I'd probably just ride it for a few weeks and then sell it once my bike is out of the shop.

Has anyone ever ridden one? It must be about 30 years old, any concerns about the carbon beam failing?
    I had a Burley softride tandem for a little while, then sold it last year because Mrs C wouldn't ride it. It had the same softride beam as that bike. I looked into whether the beam was a problem point -- IIRC what I found said the beam is fine, but the saddle attachment hardware (seatpost head, only w/o a post) was problematic, and difficult to find replacement parts if any of that hardware broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Always wanted to get down and do this one: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...isco-trail-879

Maybe ride it and report back?
    Rode it this afternoon- pretty sweet overall ride. The climb is beautiful through the aspens and into the alpine, and is pretty mellow overall with a handful of short punchy sections. We climbed at a pretty easy pace and it was probably 1:30-1:40 to the top. Beautiful lake up top beneath Bennett Peak. The DH is fast and not all that techy other than a few sniper rocks and short rock garden sections... I think all told it was 12.5 miles with 2500+ vert. Definitely worth doing if you're in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    2021 Fox x2 leaking at HSC/LSC knobs. Shop says send to QBP. Somewhere better faster turn around?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Hoff’s here in JH is (I think?) an authorized Fox service center.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hoff’s here in JH is (I think?) an authorized Fox service center.
    Thanks. They mentioned them, but said that over the years they have gotten the most reliable and consistent results from QBP. I didn't even know they did shock service/rebuilds. Had them send it in yesterday. Could be a long 10 days. Luckily I have the small bike to keep me occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Rode it this afternoon- pretty sweet overall ride. The climb is beautiful through the aspens and into the alpine, and is pretty mellow overall with a handful of short punchy sections. We climbed at a pretty easy pace and it was probably 1:30-1:40 to the top. Beautiful lake up top beneath Bennett Peak. The DH is fast and not all that techy other than a few sniper rocks and short rock garden sections... I think all told it was 12.5 miles with 2500+ vert. Definitely worth doing if you're in the area.
    Did you climb Middle and descend West or vice versa?
    I think I’m gonna hit this tomorrow on the way back from Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums