Page 117 of 531 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 13262

Thread: Ask the experts

Seems to that Because you cant tune the progressivity of the spring on a telescoping fork that coils use too much travel. Coils seem to work much better on the back because you can tune the spring rate through the travel. Maybe an argument for linkage forks?

Quote Originally Posted by Huvudvind View Post
    Seems to that Because you cant tune the progressivity of the spring on a telescoping fork that coils use too much travel. Coils seem to work much better on the back because you can tune the spring rate through the travel. Maybe an argument for linkage forks?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    maybe try just drinking ONE beer ?
    Hopefully that helps.

Regretting passing on the king enve wheels a few weeks ago when I was able to seat a tire on my old bead up one. It now has a massive flatspot resulting in ~3-4 completely loose spokes so I am anticipating imminent implosion. Shopping for a replacement and debating where the price/performance ratio makes the most sense for a big guy who doesn't err on smooth. I am currently leaning alloy with a nice hub, top contenders are WhiteXMR, I9 1/1 or Hydra and Onyx. I like the idea of onyx but it is heavy and pricey.

Ask the experts

Been really happy with my Project 321 hub on the rear. Lighter than Onyx and nearly silent. For the front, I’d just get something with sealed bearings that’s cheap, but I don’t care about matching and have never had a front hub issue.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Regretting passing on the king enve wheels a few weeks ago when I was able to seat a tire on my old bead up one. It now has a massive flatspot resulting in ~3-4 completely loose spokes so I am anticipating imminent implosion. Shopping for a replacement and debating where the price/performance ratio makes the most sense for a big guy who doesn't err on smooth. I am currently leaning alloy with a nice hub, top contenders are WhiteXMR, I9 1/1 or Hydra and Onyx. I like the idea of onyx but it is heavy and pricey.
    Out of those, I'd go White for sure. Those Project 321's are nice too though.

anyone have experience with the TRP TR12 setup?

starting to accumulate parts for a Spring build and these seem more readily available than Shimano right now

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    anyone have experience with the TRP TR12 setup?

starting to accumulate parts for a Spring build and these seem more readily available than Shimano right now
    Yeah, it's... fine. The shifter ergonomics are a little clunky, and it doesn't shift quite as smoothly as higher end Sram or (especially) Shimano stuff, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, it's... fine. The shifter ergonomics are a little clunky, and it doesn't shift quite as smoothly as higher end Sram or (especially) Shimano stuff, but it works.
    thanks, I'll probably stay focused on Shimano bits

Wise move.
    I always say, be careful when making permanent solutions to temporary problems.
    Most Shimano stock is due some time in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

So many of the Shimano parts will be available soon. I'm looking at ordering some parts on a deal that expires Dec 31, and almost everything I want is out of stock. The ETA for most stock is listed for the 3rd week of January.
    So just hold in there, these parts will eventually be available here in North America soon.

FWIW and depending on what you're looking for, there's a seller on PB that's selling a full XT drivetrain for $500+. Not too shabby if you don't want to wait. I have no idea what wholesale/QBP prices are for the same groupset.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2711675/

Thanks Smmokan, not in that big of a hurry and want to mix an XTR shifter w/ XT derailleur and use existing carbon cranks I have.

Haven't ordered the frame yet, think I've got it narrowed down to Ranger or Rascal. Especially a Ranger built like this one

https://www.facebook.com/mike.wieser...24810418272416

The mechanic described it as a pissed off XC bike

I'm interested in hearing an honest review of the Ranger.... with the slack STA (and even worse actual STA), I'm not sure how it holds up to some of the other 100-120mm bikes out there like the Ripley and Spur. I've ridden the Rascal and it pedals well enough, but the slack 75* STA is noticeable on steep and/or sustained climbs and -to me- isn't ideal on a modern trail bike. That said, it was SUPER fun on the descents, which I imagine the Ranger mimics albeit with smaller travel.

Slack 75 STA lol

How did anyone climb well on bikes without giant reach numbers and 77 degree sta and 65 degree hta

Bike geeks and their numbers...

I still have no idea on the numbers on any bike I've owned in the past 10 years. Yet they all rip.

how would you know how well you climbed unless you timed every bike you rode from the last 10 yrs back to back with a stop watch ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Strava!!!!!

Geez you set yourself up for that one lol

I mean, strava does that for you.

efb.

It's done a good job at quantifying how much slower uphill my hei hei is compared to the old hardtail. And it's not because of the sta, which is possibly steeper.

My Moots HT or my Maverick Durance still have my fastest times up and down and those were awful 73 degree ST with short top tubes and long stems. That was before all the wankers ruined the trails with smoother and wider for their 29er Enduro electric fat bikes with low bottom brackets and dropper posts

those times were clocked by a younger person eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I am pretty sure I am WAAAAY faster now than 20 years ago. DH for sure.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am pretty sure I am WAAAAY faster now than 20 years ago. DH for sure.
    Jesus not me. 20-year-ago-me would ridicule and heckle current-me off of every trail, court, field, crag, wave etc known to man. Related: 20 year ago me might have kinda been a competitive dick.

Much better now though.

I dunno, 20 years ago, I owned a bike shop, and rode five days a week...on twitchy, lightweight bikes with useless tires and boingy suspension. I have SO much more control now at Mach-looney speeds, whereas then, just making it down some stuff we shred now was an accomplishment. And I have way more practice with tech-gnurr, I ride down so much shit now that I would have walked before.
    Sample of one, and all of that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I dunno, 20 years ago, I owned a bike shop, and rode five days a week...on twitchy, lightweight bikes with useless tires and boingy suspension. I have SO much more control now at Mach-looney speeds, whereas then, just making it down some stuff we shred now was an accomplishment. And I have way more practice with tech-gnurr, I ride down so much shit now that I would have walked before.
    Sample of one, and all of that.
    Ok, that's an important distinction. I assumed you were giving 20 year ago me current equipment. If he has to ride the old gear I've got a chance going downhill. If I hit one of the right years he's showing up on a full suspension K2 razorback sl team issue. A huge 90mm of travel from the Noleen shock. But we were fearless in our "clean it or bleed" crew, and I can't believe how fast we went down shit on that 23 pound POS. So it'd be close.

Going uphill I'm still fucked.

Ooo that razorback was awful. I bought one for my then wife. We divorced soon after. Lol no really it was a horrible pogo stick.

I already know the answer, but how fucked am I?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607030423.289132.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	350997
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.