Page 106 of 524 FirstFirst ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 13097

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Bend it back?
    There aren’t really any other ‘tricks’ that I know about. I use a crescent wrench or Snap On duck bill pliers.
    Anyone else?
    Same. I just bend sidewalls back with a crescent wrench. Just gotta be careful to not crack the rim.

They'll never be perfect, but depending on the dent, I can usually get them passably straight.

Same trick with crescent wrench here

Issue seems to be the dent in the rim bed leaking while trying to seat not sure I can bend that back.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Issue seems to be the dent in the rim bed leaking while trying to seat not sure I can bend that back.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-T...-2012.html/url
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Bend it back?
    There aren’t really any other ‘tricks’ that I know about. I use a crescent wrench or Snap On duck bill pliers.
    Anyone else?
    Yup. Get it warm (alum less likely to crack when warm), get the biggest crescent you have, maybe even use another large flat piece of metal to brace the inside rim and outside edge to disperse the pressure. Slowly massage it back. Don’t try to go all at once if it’s a big one.

I had to do this over the weekend, put a massive crease in my beater wheelset (bent the rim lip all the way against the rim tape). Thought for sure it was borked for good, but massaged it back and now it’s holding 40psi tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Missed this, wrap a couple extra layers of rim tape to cover the dent/bring the rim depth up to the tire edge.

I wouldn't mess too much with the rim. Yea, it helps aesthetically to straighten it, and we've all done it, but there's a fine line you'll cross where it cracks. And at that point you're fucked. A dented rim can be run all day. Best two approaches:
    1. Run a tube. I know it sounds shitty, but it works.
    2. Split tube, OG Ghetto tubeless. The tube needs to be hanging outside of the tire bead. Trim the excess. Essentially you're turning the tire into a tubular. Use lots of sealant. I've got a buddy who always ends up doing this by the end of DH season since he absolutely hammers on his shit. It doesn't help that he keeps buying bikes with E13 wheels.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Tried the usual?
    Remove valve core, strap around tire, direct flow inflator?
    Also, lots of soapy water on the bead can help.

Yes tried all of those. Going to try and raise the rim bed dents with some gorilla tape and get it to seal and if that fails run a tube. Debating buying the well priced enves for sale here and fixing the problem properly.

that was going to be my recommendation. Those Chris King / Enves are a stupid good deal. I'm a Chris King dealer and that's about half of my cost

My XT rear brake locked up on me. Squeezed the lever and the pads didn't retract, rear wheel locked up, then I moved the wheel a bit and it came free. It does this every time I pull the lever now. I've had many sets of Shimano brakes and never had this happen before.

The brakes are probably 5-6 years old. Not sure if its worth fixing or replacing the caliper or just getting a new brake. Anyone have this issue?

Honestly junk them. Caliper rebuilds aren't worth it. You can buy the part separately since it is Shimano.

I kind of think my 12sp GX system sucks. The B-gap is just a pia. I've now adjusted everything more times in 3 months than I ever did in 4 years of my 11 sp. So the question...does the upgrade on the shifter do anything? I've upgraded derailleurs and felt the difference, but didn't notice a shifter improvement. Is it there?

Ask the experts

Best Schrader after market valve???? Mine are crap and popped out of tire when loosening the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whyturn; 10-21-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    My XT rear brake locked up on me. Squeezed the lever and the pads didn't retract, rear wheel locked up, then I moved the wheel a bit and it came free. It does this every time I pull the lever now. I've had many sets of Shimano brakes and never had this happen before.

The brakes are probably 5-6 years old. Not sure if its worth fixing or replacing the caliper or just getting a new brake. Anyone have this issue?
    Remove caliper from frame mounts, remove pads, tilt lever so that it’s kinda horizontal.
    Remove lever bleed screw, insert oil funnel thing, half filled with oil.
    Lay down an old towel.
    Open bleed nipple until oil comes out. Is it pink or grey or black? If black, you need a bleed.
    Close nipple again while it’s still 1/4-1/3 full.
    Squeeze lever a bunch of times. Notice only one of the pistons moves well.
    Dip a W-tip in fresh oil and clean the piston. Clean it good. Like it’s your uncircumcised cock and you’re prepping for for your first BJ. Repeat with fresh Q-Tips until you can wipe the piston and it comes back clean. Just like you should be doing when you wipe your ass.
    Now, use a small spanner or ball head Allen wrench (5mm-ish) and push that clean piston back in.
    Next, use that same wrench and use it to hold down the clean piston while you squeeze the lever again. Eventually the other piston will work its way out. Clean it. Like it’s your balls, same occasion. Push the piston back in when you’re done.
    Then squeeze the lever and see if the pistons are more equal. They’ll never be perfectly 50/50 because of the caliper shape. But if they aren’t close, lever, clean more, push back in, repeat.
    This will usually rejuvenate Shimano calipers.

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Best Schrader after market valve???? Mine are crap and popped out of tire when loosening the cap.

Sounds like more of a rim issue. Are you sure that thing isn't drilled for Schrader?
    Anyway I've always been happy with the WTB brass ones. I avoid aluminum valves after snapping one off on the climb up burro pass.
    That was a long shitty day.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I kind of think my 12sp GX system sucks. The B-gap is just a pia. I've now adjusted everything more times in 3 months than I ever did in 4 years of my 11 sp. So the question...does the upgrade on the shifter do anything? I've upgraded derailleurs and felt the difference, but didn't notice a shifter improvement. Is it there?
    No. Upgrade to Shimano and sell me that GX shit for cheap.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Clipless pedals with the most binary "on/off" feeling? Basically, the least amount of float. Seems like the consensus is ranked from most float to least: Time, Shimano, HT, Crankbros? I want these things to be like a freaking light switch....

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Clipless pedals with the most binary "on/off" feeling? Basically, the least amount of float. Seems like the consensus is ranked from most float to least: Time, Shimano, HT, Crankbros? I want these things to be like a freaking light switch....
    HT with the low-float cleats.

They're so locked in that I can get the cleat position dialed on a given bike, but find myself wanting to move them depending on crank q-factor.

Crank Brothers had a 0 float cleat that I put a lot of beginners into. They pretty much all loved them. I hated them because the slightest twitch popped me out.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    that ^^ might be really hard on your knees
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Crank Brothers had a 0 float cleat that I put a lot of beginners into. They pretty much all loved them. I hated them because the slightest twitch popped me out.
    Yeah, I haven't run Crank Brothers pedals in forever, but remember 1) them exploding a lot and 2) clipping out of them if I sneezed, or got caught by a gust of wind, or brushed against tall grass, etc.

The HT pedals can run high enough tension to hold you in pretty securely. That goes double for the SX versions, which might as well just be bolted directly to your shoes at the high end of the tension range.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    that ^^ might be really hard on your knees
    Yeah, phuck that! I want a ton of float for happy knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Sounds like more of a rim issue. Are you sure that thing isn't drilled for Schrader?
    Anyway I've always been happy with the WTB brass ones. I avoid aluminum valves after snapping one off on the climb up burro pass.
    That was a long shitty day.
    Stock valves with WTB. Slow leaker in rear and valve part keeps coming unscrewed at Teflon tape. Going to get etrthirteen plasma aftermarket I think

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    No. Upgrade to Shimano and sell me that GX shit for cheap.
    You realize that if I upgrade the Sram to better Sram, I still have the GX shit to unload. I haven't ridden XT in 20 yrs. I've been a sram drivetrain fan until this 12sp shit.