Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

These are still skiable. I try to take one retro pair out each spring.
    That's balzy man. I have old shit, but I don't trust the binders. Plus last time I rode straight skis they really kinda sucked. I'd be more inclinded to ride an old snowboard...sans bindings. Those are scary too.

Thumbs up

I still ski my 1997 Salomon Prolink Equip Axes a couple times each year. They still rock on ice. Last year I saw a dude also wearing a pair at Targhee. It was like an awesome inside story sharing our stories about them.

“Straight skis don’t suck to ski, they prove you suck at skiing.”
    -wise old ski bum somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That's balzy man. I have old shit, but I don't trust the binders. Plus last time I rode straight skis they really kinda sucked. I'd be more inclinded to ride an old snowboard...sans bindings. Those are scary too.
    Those bindings are all 100% all metal housing. Bindings are bomb proof.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    “Straight skis don’t suck to ski, they prove you suck at skiing.”
    -wise old ski bum somewhere
    Sure. But yeah, they suck now.

Those bindings are all 100% all metal housing. Bindings are bomb proof.
    Do a torque test and get back to me.

I skied a pair of those and 710 FOs in to the ground from 82 through the 1990s. FOs died a lot faster than the 812s did. wood core>foam core for longevity. They're retired now.

These are still skiable. I try to take one retro pair out each spring.
    Gotta respect anyone that still has a pair of Hexcel's in his quiver.
    I miss my Hexcelerators. They were HExcellent!
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 551
Size:  9.1 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Couple years ago I saw someone skiing on Olin Mark IV at Park City.

Name:  Vintage-OLIN-Mark-IV-Classic-Orange-Snow-Skis.jpeg
Views: 584
Size:  8.1 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Couple years ago I saw someone skiing on Olin Mark IV at Park City.

Name:  Vintage-OLIN-Mark-IV-Classic-Orange-Snow-Skis.jpeg
Views: 584
Size:  8.1 KB
    I have 2 pairs mounted for local retro days

kinda disappointed by what's come up. Was expecting more 90mm ish millennium era classic daily driver. Bandits, Dynastar 4x4/intuitiv, pre wizard/budha explosivs, etc.... Because there is a guy at every mountain still putting in days on that stuff. People here are too hard on their gear or too sensitive to decambering, softening, base/edge conditions, or lusting after the latest thing.

No longer in use. K2 USA, Hexcel Splittails, Head 360,
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I’ve got a pair of bent 192 Elan m777 that still go out occasionally.
    And I picked up a pair of 191 Scott P4s that I’m looking forward to getting out on.
    But the oldest pair I’ve got that I bought new that still see regular use is a pair of 189 4FRNT Turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Sure. But yeah, they suck now. .
    yeah this^^,

Cuz if those old skis didn't suck they would still be made and we would still be buying them

a better question might what old ski are you still using that doesnt suck ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Cuz if those old skis didn't suck they would still be made and we would still be buying them
    Would you say that about old cars? Just takes more skill and technique to work on them and drive them...

For me gotta be Volant. Solid sheet of stainless steel. Have a pair with fire graphic from the mid 80's I break out early season as rock skis. Still rip in pow and crud just a little railed when it gets boilerplate but I have a pair of their Colorado's from the 90's I use with less than 20 days on them. Guess it's a good thing when your base area is 11 K elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Would you say that about old cars? Just takes more skill and technique to work on them and drive them...
    i do this for fun not to use up "more skill and technique" that could be used to ski better/ further/ faster, talk about handi capping ones self with equipment I've used the same ski mounted fixed and tele and i know i can go faster for longer fixed and the fixed binding never broke my leg like the tele did

Consdier the real reason the curmudgeonly old fuck who is still on some ancient ski is doing it because he is a cheap old fuck not because old skis are better, 10 yars ago when I got a set of JJ's with the neon skeleton I told the other old guys wide sksi were awesome,

they would always say no thanx my skis are fine to which i would say

Ys your wife is fine too but wouldnt you like to try a super model ?

nobody ever said no thanx ,my wife is fine they just grinned a stupid grin

and now they are all on fat skis

I've replace plugs and points on old car engines, grease the front end at every oil change , tires that did't grip & didn't last whereas I never did touch the engine on my 9 yr old ranger , never greased it, same 2 sets of tires for 9 yrs ... old cars are just old

My ten yr old lotus 120's are still a very happening pow ski, I do have a set of 223 fisher RC4 DH and I might take them out once a year for the Shussboomer but the guys I know with modern DH skis go faster
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    kinda disappointed by what's come up. Was expecting more 90mm ish millennium era classic daily driver. Bandits, Dynastar 4x4/intuitiv, pre wizard/budha explosivs, etc.... Because there is a guy at every mountain still putting in days on that stuff. People here are too hard on their gear or too sensitive to decambering, softening, base/edge conditions, or lusting after the latest thing.
    Still have pairs of Bandit Xs and XXs in the rotation as my early season rock skis. The Xs were my first new pair of skis as a kid and then the XXs in mint condition were a $5 thrift store score that sees most of my early season days until the rocks get covered up.

Then my daily driver Line Motherships come out to play. Every season I say I should get a new pair of skis but I just love the MoShips too much. Wish I'd stocked up when they were discontinued. I feel like its getting harder and harder to find charger skis with metal in them and camber underfoot.

Spotted these outside of Crystal’s Campbell Basin lodge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG Dayglosiv from ‘88? 3 digit Volkl Serial number.

Looking to pass them along as ive moved on to GripWalk & they have a Sali equipe demo on em.

I don't know about "active use" but I still have these in my quiver and I cannot force myself to part with them
    Name:  xscreams.jpeg
Views: 342
Size:  5.5 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banditxxx.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1,003.7 KB 
ID:	297794

The oldest in my quiver that still see use at least once a season. They were an awesome pow ski at 88mm underfoot. I remember being scorned for taking them out on a non-pow day. Still really fun in spring slush. Perhaps someone could refresh my rossi triple X timeline? Could these be circa late 90's or 2k plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I don't know about "active use" but I still have these in my quiver and I cannot force myself to part with them
    Name:  xscreams.jpeg
Views: 342
Size:  5.5 KB
    Me too. Mine have zero camber left. I considered taking the bindings off for some garage sale skis I picked up a month or so ago but I can’t bring myself to do it

Cool

My ‘97/98 Salomon Equipe Axe Prolink (90-63.5-89) I mentioned earlier. Take them out anytime it gets hella’ icy. Never found a better carving ice ski. People comment on them ALL the time, only my K2 102 Shreditors with the old school graphics get close to as many comments. Still gnarly skis that get skied every year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED2EABE3-DB7B-4230-9CAA-65463BB48207.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	297825  

I have almost exclusively skied orange with metal toe cap Dynastar race room 186 LPs since the early/mid 2000s. Had a few pairs of DPs in there somewhere but only brought them out on the deepest of days.

What years were the metal toe cap Dynastar race room LPs made?

Ya know, this thread reminds me, I think I need a couple more pairs for safe keeping. Better start looking again....

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    ...What years were the metal toe cap Dynastar race room LPs made?...
    I think built in 2005 for the 2015/16 winter release.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Some skis are better suited for longevity than others, some ski so damn well you keep skiing on them longer than maybe you ought to, but isn't all this somewhat relative? Like I'm 240 and I ski different than the next guy at 150. He might get five seasons @ 120 days out of a pair I might get two @ 50 days. Is that really apples to apples?

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk