Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Silly cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Well played....Lulz.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

And dirty, crooked teeth; chicks dig the bad boy teeth.

Is there an American equivalent to the Guy Ritchie "chav heist caper?" Steven Soderburgh movies?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Is there an American equivalent to the Guy Ritchie "chav heist caper?" Steven Soderburgh movies?
    Quentin Tarantino kind of has the same dialogue driven, heavy handed style. At least compared to the notable GR movies (Snoatch, Lock Stock, etc.).

Although looking at Ritchie's IMDB page, apparently he also directed the recent Aladdin movie with Will Smith, so maybe the QT comparison is a bit further off than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    I might say SS, but his few "heist" or caper or neo-noir films--The Underneath and Out Of Sight--were both based on other films and/or novels, so they weren't original material. And his Logan Lucky could easily be considered to be influenced by QT and Ritchie, since it came out in 2017.

I'mma go with Toast and say that QT is the Yankee equivalent, but he was so obviously an influence on Ritchie as LS&2SB didn't come out until 1999, seven years after Reservoir Dogs and 5 years after Pulp Fiction...

Both QT and GR are (obviously) heavily influenced by both American and British cinema from the 60s and 70s (among other influences).

I'd say that Ritchie comes from the lineage of The Long Good Friday, Performance, Get Carter, The Italian Job (the Michael Caine version), and other classic Brit crime films, whereas QT is more grindhouse, blaxploitation, and schlock based...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I'd say that Ritchie comes from the lineage of The Long Good Friday, Performance, Get Carter, The Italian Job (the Michael Caine version), and other classic Brit crime films, whereas QT is more grindhouse, blaxploitation, and schlock based...
    It's funny. I was thinking about who the American equivalent might be, and was thinking about the Italian Job (both original and the remake). Couldn't remember who directed the remake - it was F. Gary Gray. So the Mark Wahlberg Italian Job was directed by the same guy that made Friday and Straight Outta Compton. Did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    ..... 4/5 on the Dookey Scale
    Saw it this morning and I would concur with that score.

My 2¢:

The latest Guy Ritchie flick sees a return to form for the laddish director (after taking "time off" to put out 2 Sherlock Holmes joints, a King Arthur re-imagining, and an Aladdin live-action film). This film is more along the lines of Snatch and Rock 'n Rolla (it has a similar narrative structure to the latter).
    While not particularly new or fresh, the film unfolds as a wonderful thematic mash-up of gangsta, neo-noir, and whodunnit films.
    Ritchie gives some crisp direction buffered by engaging dialogue. Add to that the fact that both the pacing and visual sleight of hand elements are quick and well honed; clever diversions and interesting plot twists abound.
    The cast is brillaint and every actor is in top form. There is a delicious performance from Hugh Grant and a sublime turn from Colin Farrell.
    And the soundtrack is pretty damn bueno, to boot.
    Last edited by dookey67; 01-30-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Saw it this morning and I would concur with that score.

My 2¢:

The latest Guy Ritchie flick sees a return to form for the laddish director (after taking "time off" to put out 2 Sherlock Holmes joints, a King Arthur re-imagining, and an Aladdin live-action film). This film is more along the lines of Snatch and Rock 'n Rolla (it has a similar narrative structure to the latter).
    While not particularly new or fresh, the film unfolds as a wonderful thematic mash-up of gangsta, neo-noir, and whodunnit.
    Ritchie gives some crisp direction buffered by engaging dialogue. Add to that the fact that both the pacing and visual sleight of hand elements are quick and well honed; clever diversions and interesting plot twists abound.
    The cast is brillaint and every actor is in top form. There is a delicious performance from Hugh Grant and a sublime turn from Colin Farrell.
    And the soundtrack is pretty damn bueno, to boot.
    Nailed it. Farrell and Grant were fucking great and the Mrs. already got the soundtrack........
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier