Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Ok, to be clear, there's two separate parts here: the arch, which is the bar part that sticks up and engages with the cleat (2 per side per pedal) and the spring (coiled thing in the pedal body.) You're talking about the arch, which is also what I mentioned. Toast and others mentioned the spring. Both could cause this problem.

Check both.
    All true. And for whatever it's worth, I've broken both. The spring breaking seems to be more common for me.

the new power grips for your flats, made from rare earths and such so they'll never let you down. no clicking sound = clipless

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Ok, to be clear, there's two separate parts here: the arch, which is the bar part that sticks up and engages with the cleat (2 per side per pedal) and the spring (coiled thing in the pedal body.) You're talking about the arch, which is also what I mentioned. Toast and others mentioned the spring. Both could cause this problem.

Check both.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to find any cracks in the torsion springs or arches. The arches are definitely nicked up, possibly bent but not in any way that's obvious to the naked eye. The arch on the side that is causing problems does seem to have more back and forth play than any of the other arches. Maybe it's a combination of play, minor bend, etc. It looks like my torsion springs lever into the body, not any sort of pin (unless you're talking about bending the tail of the spring?), so short of bending the arch I'm not sure if there's any remedy.

Remy rides Speciale 8s apparently so they'll probably perform acceptably for me.

I got MX4s and they’re fine. Don’t need adjustments. I weigh 170 and bike weighs 31 so what’s a few oz?

Been riding HT T1’s for a few months now & they’ve become my favorite pedal. https://www.bikemag.com/gear/compone...w-ht-t1-pedal/

Easy to clip in to, and a retention feel sorta in between Shimano and Crank bros. Generally good rep on the spinny bits longevity apparently.

SRAM buys Time.

SRAM really wants in on the pedal-based powermeter gravy train

Which platformy Time pedals do I want?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

HT T1 or Time Speciale 8? Go!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    HT T1 or Time Speciale 8? Go!
    I'm a speciale 8 guy. Have had two pairs for a few years now - totally happy with them. No issues whatsoever. Same feel and reliability as the old time z's, but several pounds lighter.

What clipless pedals

Any justifiable reason to spring for the 12’s?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Any justifiable reason to spring for the 12’s?
    They have a bigger platform. That's about it. Personally, I'm more than happy to pay half the price for the 8's.

12’s also let you put pins in the rear of the pedal (8 is front pins only). Check the EU sites like bike-discount, bike24, bike-components etc. Time pedals were almost half off compared to LBS here in Canada.

I bought a pair of 12’s as my first clipless pedals for mtb, have 4 rides on them so far and liking them. One thing that surprised me coming from flats is what float actually feels like. Turns out I like and am used to the feeling of my shoes not moving at all on flats once they are placed correctly (Five Ten Freerider Pros on Race Face Atlas), so it was a weird slightly scary feeling when my clipless shoes could move around while descending, but after a few rides I am used to it. Im using the 13 degree setting on the cleats. Climbing is way better right away although I am still a bit nervous committing to technical moves as clipping out isn’t second nature yet.

I’ve ridden clipless on road for the last year (SPD SL) so that helped on the transition. Certainly feels like less float and more “locked in” on the road system then again I’m not descending rough terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm a speciale 8 guy. Have had two pairs for a few years now - totally happy with them. No issues whatsoever. Same feel and reliability as the old time z's, but several pounds lighter.

Thanks! The HTs were tempting, but I've been wanting to get back on Time for nearly a decade, so went with the Speciale.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Thanks! The HTs were tempting, but I've been wanting to get back on Time for nearly a decade, so went with the Speciale.
    Now that I'm too late, I'll chime in and say that I've been really liking HTs. I've got T1s, T1 SXs, and X2 SXs. Longtime SPD guy, haven't used anything Time in probably 15+ years.

The HTs, especially the SX versions, can be set up with way higher release tension than SPDs. Their 4 degree cleats also have way less actual float than standard SPD cleats, and feel like they self-center a bit more within that float range. The 8 degree cleat feels similar to SPDs in terms of overall float range, but also has that same springier, more self centering feel of the 4 degree ones.

I like the more locked in feel a lot. For me, it's the main point of differentiation compared to SPDs. If you're not into it, the 8 degree cleats should get you there.

I have noticed that the HT pedals take a little bit of break in, and feel kinda sticky when they're brand new for some reason. After a couple of rides it goes away. Been on a couple of them since last season, and they're holding up well so far.

So I got some one up aluminum platform pedals. Really like the shoe and the grip. First new pair in a while and I’m pretty stoked. Got a bit out of the saddle jumping off a log and they helped keep me on the pedal just long enough

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

If anyone needs a pair of extras, beaters or loaners the Issi Trail II spds are currently 70% at your friendly local mega-co-op. I've been riding a pair that I got at a similar mega discount for about a year. They are delightfully adequate for a $30 pair of pedals.

https://www.rei.com/product/116854/issi-trail-ii-pedals

Lately I've been thinking about trying clips. I've been riding flats essentially 100% since I started riding 7 or so years ago, except for 1 or 2 failure rides shortly after I started with some eggbeaters. The main reason I'm interested in clipping in is retention followed by getting my foot in exactly the right spot again quickly. I very seldom have issues with keeping my feet on flats unless I have to dab, in which case it takes a lot of effort to get my foot in exactly the right spot again, and if I don't get it just right, I'm focused on correcting it and riding poorly. My instinct is that with clips, I'll be able to get my foot back into the right spot a lot quicker. I don't give a fuck about efficiency or power or all that. Being able to move the rear of the bike around a bit more would be an added benefit but not the immediate goal.

What I'm looking for in a clip:
    1) must be super easy to get foot out. I can't stress this enough. This is the biggest reason I haven't tried clips yet seriously. I am extremely paranoid about crashing with foot locked in and hurting my knees or ankles. Ideally, retention would be adjustable so I can tweak it slightly firmer after I learn to clip. I'd rather it be too easy to get out of than too hard.
    2) must work well with DH style flat shoes (RC Tallacs) and be supportive.
    3) must be user serviceable with available parts. All my pedals typically need bearings & bushings replaced about once a year.

^^^ shimano.

XT pd-m8120's are what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    ^^^ shimano.

XT pd-m8120's are what you want.
    Thanks. Managed to even find a pair in stock at REI, which shocked me considering it seems like anything Shimano is unobtainium right now.

The XTs are great ,but for someone dabbling in clipless for the first time I can't recommend Shimano M-530 enough. Essentially the same pedal as XT 8120 for half price or less, but adds 50gm of weight. I've used these for years on a low BB bike so I didn't care as much about pedal strikes for the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I don't give a fuck about efficiency or power or all that.
    You may not care, but it will be interesting to see how you feel about this aspect once you get comfortable with them and clipping out has become second-nature. I switched to flats for a full year after a head injury to maximize bail-ability during recovery and was never happy about steep/techy uphill performance. Climbing was so much better after I clipped back in. I'm convinced that people who switch to flats and claim to notice no difference while climbing don't actually climb, are lying, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    You may not care, but it will be interesting to see how you feel about this aspect once you get comfortable with them and clipping out has become second-nature. I switched to flats for a full year after a head injury to maximize bail-ability during recovery and was never happy about steep/techy uphill performance. Climbing was so much better after I clipped back in. I'm convinced that people who switch to flats and claim to notice no difference while climbing don't actually climb, are lying, or both.
    Yeah, so I basically only do fire road climbs on my local rides. I'm sure that they will be a bit more efficient on the steeper bits, but that would just be gravy. I mostly do rides with friends with varying speeds so getting up faster doesn't really net anything (other than maybe being a bit less fatigued).

I thought about trying some of those magnetic pedals, but then thought what's the point of going halfway in? They cost like double that of XTs, and weigh twice as much too. Plus if I'm attached to the pedals, I want to really be able to pull up, not just a little bit.

I'm not super concerned with spending a bit more on the XTs up front. If they're really that popular and I still manage to hate them, I'm sure I'll have no problem reselling them. And if I like them after I get used to clipping, then I'm not immediately upgrading.

I've been on the Look x-track (non plus version). Very similar design to the XT pedals. I like them, and think I saw some for sale on here a bit ago.

Aftermany years of SPD I went to flats after facking oop the knee skiing cuz i didnt wana be connected to a bike with no ACL, then I went E bike which means efficiency & power no longer matter, i got the ACL fixed but havent gone back if i did it would be spd,

which ever clipless you chose make sure to set up the cleats properly, you can do a search on setting up clipless which will bring up a whole page of youtubes on how to setup every clipless peddle made .

On a recent thread the question was asked about cleat setup and nobody said shit, which then leads me to believe nobody sets up their cleats, then a whole buncha people complain about spd's fucking up their knees, kinda makes you go hmmmm ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know