Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    My buddy has a set of Saints he will loan me, but from what I've read about those, the pins only really are there to stabilize the shoe before clipping, and don't really make contact with the sole after you clip in.
    The pedal and the shoe can't touch or the pedal won't release properly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The pedal and the shoe can't touch or the pedal won't release properly
    OK that's what I thought. I may as well stay with what works and feels right (flats).

HT X2s are the most stable, least floaty feeling pedals I've tried to date but they aren't as easy to get into as XT Trails.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    HT X2s are the most stable, least floaty feeling pedals I've tried to date but they aren't as easy to get into as XT Trails.
    How about the Mallet E's with the 0 degree float / easy release cleats? That seems like it would check most of my boxes. I like the idea of the adjustable height traction pads to eliminate side to side wobble too. I know the clip in / out will be more vague and occasionally hit or miss than SPD-type.

If anyone else is looking at this, I found a set of Mallet E Long Spindle on eBay to try, and grabbed a set of 0 degree/easy release cleats. I haven't had a chance to trail ride them yet (I'm solo parenting ATM and can't risk injury), just practiced a bunch in the garage and yard, and I feel as a long time flat pedal rider, this feels much better. Once clipped in, there's no free wobble/slide of the shoe. As soon as you start to move your heels, you can feel the tension as feedback. When your heels are dropped, the pedal feels supportive. Clipping out is near instantaneous, with the right movement. What seems to be working best for me is lifting the heel and rotating out at the same time, which tricks my brain into it being a similar movement of just rolling the foot off. The clip in process is definitely a lot clunkier than the SPDs though, especially on my second foot after I get going. About 25% of the time it clips right in, 50% it takes a couple tries to catch the basket, and another 25% it takes a bit of fumbling.

So, I feel a lot more positive that I've got a pedal setup that won't feel freaky weird when I do get a chance to start taking it out on the trail. I don't think I'll ever be as good and confident as when I'm on flats, but I'm still interested to learn clips for the challenge and potential to learn other techniques. I imagine I'll probably ride flats on any sort of technical / high consequence terrain, clips on longer "blue" pedal-y rides.

I think my dream clip pedal would be sort of an SPD/Mallet hybrid. I really like the positive click of the SPD and how you can reliably hook the front of the cage, but don't like how it perches above the pedal platform. The Mallet traction pads are awesome for that. Between those and cleat shims, you can get it so the sole of the shoe just makes a bit of contact, taking out any lateral wobble and feeling of being above the pedal platform. And I really like the 0 degree float / 10 degree release cleat they offer.