Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    The answer is always m530.
    I'm on those with Kestrel lace shoes.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Outer cage notwithstanding, there's a big difference in how the different brands feel and function in terms of the actual clipping in and out, which I'd argue matters a lot more than the shape of the platform around the pedal. Shimano has way less float than time or crankbrothers. You might like that, or you might hate it. Only way you'll know is to try some out.

I bought a pair of those wellgo spd knock-offs, at 20$ they were way cheap but I found they had noticebly less float so i made more float by taking a little material out of the pedal's interface to the cleat with a dremel and small grinding stone

I am pretty happy with the amount of float in a real Shimano SPD, it is important to get the release tension right on both sides of the pedal and cleat placement right

I wouldnt recommend the welgo's cuz they are just a little different but I found it is possible to open the release of a shimano type pedal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can also get a shimano cleat that has more float (and easier multi direction release) if that is your preference.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You can also get a shimano cleat that has more float (and easier multi direction release) if that is your preference.
    I would strongly recommend against using anything but the black SH51 cleats. The silver SH56 multi-release cleat is like a random ejection seat for your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I FULLY agree, I just wanted to point it out.
    I did sell them occasionally to people recovering from ACL injuries.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Outer cage notwithstanding, there's a big difference in how the different brands feel and function in terms of the actual clipping in and out, which I'd argue matters a lot more than the shape of the platform around the pedal. Shimano has way less float than time or crankbrothers. You might like that, or you might hate it. Only way you'll know is to try some out.
    This.

you can also modify time cleats with a file to similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    you can also modify time cleats with a file to similar effect.
    Time makes an "easy" cleat as well.

anything but CB....

I like Shimano but the TIme system is really good as well.

I still have 10 year old 520s that function well enough for a gravel bike. I prefer the XT for MTBing though.

I have a pair of XTR trails with about 75 miles on them. I like my mallet enduros better. PM if your interested

I have always been a time fan and have skipped Shimano all together. HT-1 have been awesome! Strong retention and very adjustable for float with cleats tension etc

Can you still try out different pedals for multiple days at REI? That’s how I came to my system decision a while back (time).

I don't notice any extra support from the cage on Shimano Trail pedals, nor have I had much success riding any section of trail not clipped in. The main benefit in my experience is that the cage helps level the pedal and guide the cleat toward the mechanism while clipping in. Without the cage, there is a bit more hunting around at times when trying to clip in in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Without the cage, there is a bit more hunting around at times when trying to clip in in a hurry.
    these are some of my “greatest” adult moments on a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    In my opinion this isn't even a question. If you are trying to go fast you need to secure the bike to your feet. Begin clipped in allows for all kinds of moves that are impossible if you aren't clipped in. However, many folks don't need that level of connection, and you can of course ride a bike very well with flats. Additionally, the downside of fucking up is far lower with flats. There's nothing like cranking up something so steep you slowly start to endo backwards and not being able to get out of the pedals, or being on a 6" plank way up in the air and starting to lose the bike off the side while clipped in. That'll wake your ass up.

At this point, I don't love riding serious consequence features clipped in. The downside is too big. No longer sponsored, no longer so competitive, no longer value the conquest over my health. Once upon a time though, when I had nads, we stayed locked in for everything, the more technical the better. Yes, that often left a mark. But I still feel naked not clipped.
    Didn't BQ show that you might actually be more efficient over long distances with flats and the ability to move your foot around more freely (so less chance of overuse/fatigue in the same position)? I really think if a bike company made a flat-specific shoe that looked like a sporty XC racing shoe, wayyyy more people would ride flats. Instead, the 'bike' company flat shoes (ehem 5.10) still make ugly shoes, plastered with logos, that resemble said DH bro early 2000s loosely tied chunksters mentioned above.

I've been off and on with flats/clips. I have no desire to ride high consequence trails with clips. Even with a few upcoming gravel races this fall, I'm thinking about going back to flats. Much easier to kick a foot off if it gets loose with 40mm tires, plus longer day races I like being able to move my foot around more. Unless you are a professional, and getting paid to look like a professional, I agree that probably 99% of cyclists do not need clipless pedals.

^^^ No.
    Get clips for your gravel races. Unlike most here, I like speedplay. One reason is how easy it is to sliiiide your foot out in a tricky spot vs. clicking and lifting, and free float of course.
    Anyway, you’ll want to be connected for gravel.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Didn't BQ show that you might actually be more efficient over long distances with flats and the ability to move your foot around more freely (so less chance of overuse/fatigue in the same position)? I really think if a bike company made a flat-specific shoe that looked like a sporty XC racing shoe, wayyyy more people would ride flats. Instead, the 'bike' company flat shoes (ehem 5.10) still make ugly shoes, plastered with logos, that resemble said DH bro early 2000s loosely tied chunksters mentioned above.

I've been off and on with flats/clips. I have no desire to ride high consequence trails with clips. Even with a few upcoming gravel races this fall, I'm thinking about going back to flats. Much easier to kick a foot off if it gets loose with 40mm tires, plus longer day races I like being able to move my foot around more. Unless you are a professional, and getting paid to look like a professional, I agree that probably 99% of cyclists do not need clipless pedals.
    no one needs to ride a bike either.

Clips pedal better and give you more control over the bike. Not a professional, not even close and I have to ride much slower climbing, pedaling or riding chunky downhill on flats than I have to on clips. I wouldnt use them if they did not make it easier.

I go back and forth on clips and flats. Like them both for different reasons, many that have been discussed since the beginning of mountain biking, ad nauseam. I've tried a few different brands and models of lipless, keep coming back to SPD's, Shimano XT to be exact. They just work reliably, almost all the time.

What clipless pedals

Just to be clear, you are absolutely NOT more efficient over distance with flats. You can’t pull up with flats. You can’t spin. And every professional bike racer - road, cross and mtn - for the last 60+ years has proven that with cages or clipless.

You also don’t need to change your pedal position during a ride if your bike is properly fit. You might still need float for your knees, however, so grab a pair of pedals with float. Maybe Time or Speedplay etc.

Again, however, if ya like flats, then ride flats. Who cares? It’s all good if it’s on two wheels.

Wait, I have some idiot mtn bike unicycle friends. So it’s all good on 2 or 1 wheel. God, they are idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Wait, I have some idiot mtn bike unicycle friends. So it’s all good on 2 or 1 wheel. God, they are idiots.
    lol. There is(was) a unicyclist who was a Galby regular. He was good too. But why?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    lol. There is(was) a unicyclist who was a Galby regular. He was good too. But why?
    I call it the "telemark effect" where making something senselessly harder, automatically makes them think that it is cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ^^^ No.
    Get clips for your gravel races. Unlike most here, I like speedplay. One reason is how easy it is to sliiiide your foot out in a tricky spot vs. clicking and lifting, and free float of course.
    Anyway, you’ll want to be connected for gravel.
    Yeah, I've rode a bunch of long gravel races with clips. Especially on real loose washboard descents, and this is probably against popular opinion, I'm re-thinking being clipped in on 40mm tires. Local rides at the time, which were also pretty rough, proved some level of support for this.

*Edit, plus I've found limited clipless shoes that actually have wide toe boxes. Since developing some slight foot issues with wide feet to begin with, I almost have to use wide toe box style shoes nowadays for anything remotely athletic.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Can't remember who, but there is/was a mag that did specific research into pedaling efficiency, and the take away was that pulling up doesn't increase efficiency. I believe it does improve power availability.

I switched to Shimano from Time forever ago because BITD, Time didn't have a platform pedal. Now, it would be too expensive to switch, so I run Shimano. Otherwise, I'd pick Time over all other options in a heartbeat.Speedplay are potential contenders, but the cleats don't last for shit
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.