Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fleece pant or other for skiing layer

I sometimes get really cold due to previous exposure. Want to use for skiing under shell

Got some polartec 300 weight fleece pants at Cabelas that look like my 300 weight fleece jacket. Has anybody in Canada used Taiga brand?
    They have 300 weight pants but no experience with brand or fit.

Looking for legit polartec pant that is 300 weight or other options for really cold days.

I have under armor 4.0 and Norrona alpha pant but short of down pants not sure on options???

Down will not work for skiing so I am open to suggestions and look forward to funny options. Flame away and have hopes someone will have a legit suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Get the Smartwool 250, or similar from Icebreaker. I wear these under a shell pant, in VT, in 0F weather and never get cold. They are too warm in 30F+ weather so use the 150 version. Heavyweight fleece is too thick and constricting IMO.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Get the Smartwool 250, or similar from Icebreaker. I wear these under a shell pant, in VT, in 0F weather and never get cold. They are too warm in 30F+ weather so use the 150 version. Heavyweight fleece is too thick and constricting IMO.
    I have 250 weight and 400 weight merino. Yeah I still get cold. I spent the night outside down by the river in 30F. When I was rescued body temp was 83.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Were you sleeping? Cause if you're active, like skiing active, I can't imagine needing much more. YMMV.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I have some 300 weight fleece pants, I’ve tried skiing in them but start sweating and then freeze on a chairlift. Flylow baker bibs and some wool long underwear. The bibs make a world of difference over shell pants.

Thanks guys. I have heavyweight Norrona gore pro bibs and some days it just sucks. I’m pretty active it’s really just a side effect of exposure according to doctor. I have older cloudviel polartec pro pant and others. Went to insulated pant but that just sweated out. Just seeing what others have found cause my search did not come up with much unfortunately.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I use midwt merino then a nylon REI running pant under a pro shell. Doesn’t sweat out, extra windproof and warm. Think multiple layers not heavy layers.

One piece, hooded base layer.
    If it's really cold I up my base layer to a expedition weight AirBlaster one piece.

Don't sleep down by the river.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    One piece, hooded base layer.
    If it's really cold I up my base layer to a expedition weight AirBlaster one piece.

Don't sleep down by the river.
    I actually stayed awake and doctor said you sleep you die.

I am going to try a onsie at backcountry

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

The nano air pants seem like exactly what you want.
    Assuming you hate money

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you are worried about getting cold, I recommend looking at the columbia bugaboo pants. I own a pair and I have used them without a lower base layer without any issue. I expect they will be extremely warm with a standard base layer. They are also fairly cheap. You can find them in the $75 to $100 online.

I don’t want to derail this thread by pointing the OP toward what they actually asked for, but...I’m gonna.
    https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...nts/82156.html
    https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...oms/23860.html

Also, fishing sites might be worth checking out for pants worn under waders.

I know that adding more layers downtown kinda sucks when you've gotta drop the kids off at the pool but you really ought to consider a lightweight merino base underneath a layer of polartec powerstretch. It'll breathe and wick better than a single thick layer and be cheaper too. Sierra trading post has some cheap kenyon powerstretch stuff right now that I've had good luck with in the past.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I got a pair of fleece pants off stp for cheap

Tapered fit was good for under shell pants

Brand was Polar Skins
    (It’s been a couple seasons ago tho since I got them)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I sometimes get really cold due to previous exposure. Want to use for skiing under shell

Got some polartec 300 weight fleece pants at Cabelas that look like my 300 weight fleece jacket. Has anybody in Canada used Taiga brand?
    They have 300 weight pants but no experience with brand or fit.

Looking for legit polartec pant that is 300 weight or other options for really cold days.
    l]
    IME 100S (stretch) is great for a base layer I have used it in dry suits or as a layer in any non-winter activity, 200 is a nice/better weight that I like to use under a gortex shells for lift riding, 300 I find a little bulky/ too warm its usually made in camo by somewhere like Cabela for the fat hunting types BUT simple Fleece layers seem to have fallen off the radar of most gear makers which i don't understand ?

yeah i have a lot of taiga stuff from back in the day they have always been right across the street from MEC in Vancover even after MEC moved Taiga moved with them, the Taiga symbol on any product is always a sign that whoever is using the stuff is from Vancouver, many UBC students bought a Gortex parka when they found out how much it rains in Vangroovy , David Suzuki always wore a ratty one in every episode of " The Nature of Things "

I have mitts, a shell, sleeping bag, bibs you see their gortex bibs ( red with blue patches or black ) at ski hills all over the place in BC usually on older skiers cuz the piece can be 20-30 yars old but i haven't bought any Taiga stuff in a long time they used to be cutting edge but the edge has probably moved a bit
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Why, this is a different direction but I ended up with Haglofs Barrier knee pant... I ski in either Strafe bibs or Patty Untracked which are both uninsulated... I tried everything from fleece pants to polar base layers and for those really cold resort days the Haglofs have been an absolute home run...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Full length or 3/4 length? I've always gone full but with good ski socks wonder if I really could just go with 3/4 length and end the struggle with the boot cuff, sock, and thermal base kinks..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I much prefer wool bottoms over syn for cold temps. Has anyone tried the Woolx 400 heavyweight bottoms? If so, any comments re fit would be appreciated. Icebreaker 260 weight bottoms under shell pants work okay for me down to 15F for lift-served skiing, but it'd be nice to have a heavier wool base for lower temps. Icebreaker 260 bottoms fit weird -- XXL waist is very loose on me (expected, I suppose), but the thighs are way too tight. XL waist is the right size but no way I could squeeze my legs into those. I may sew some darts in the waist of my XXLs, an easy DIY mod, but I don't have a good idea for a mod to relieve the tight thighs.

Price is right for the Woolx stuff.

Yeah, 3/4 is the way to go for skiing, easy DIY mod with a sewing machine and 3/4 nylon ribbon.

I have a lot of holes

that have merino of all brands

attached to them

did i just write a haiku ?

So the merino 400 weight I have are Minus 33 Katmai expedition and they are probably the warmest I currently have from the 15 I’ve tried

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have a lot of holes

that have merino of all brands

attached to them

did i just write a haiku ?
    Well, that almost fits the 5-7-5 traditional haiku pattern, but it doesn't come close to the other requirements of haiku (e.g., kiru, kireji), so no, it's not a haiku. Yeah, merino wool is much more fragile than high quality synthetic, especially the lightweight stuff. IME wool has a broader temp comfort range in cool and cold weather, and much better for bottoms in cold weather, so I deal with it -- and heavier merino is not all that fragile under a shell.

thanks ^^ steve

My 80 yr old father used to wear wool undershirts in Singapore just after the war so when we told him it was a thing he thot that was awesume so we got him a bunch, 5 different brands which I inherited, It ALL had holes from sitting in front of the TV getting nagged by my mom

IME there is not that much difference in warmth between plastic and merino

the real difference is how much it will stink

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    5 different brands which I inherited, It ALL had holes from sitting in front of the TV getting nagged by my mom
    Moth holes in wool = user error. A properly stored Pendleton board shirt will last 25 years or more and a few thousand wear cycles with zero holes if protected from moths. Of course, a Pendleton board shirt is much tougher than a lightweight merino base layer.

I actually go with lounge pants when I'm staying on the mountain.. Just drop the ski pants and ready to chill by the fire with some chili and drinks. Ya, the cuffs of them get wet with they unroll down to the boot tops, but never a problem kinking up inside the boot cuffs..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Moth holes in wool = user error. A properly stored Pendleton board shirt will last 25 years or more and a few thousand wear cycles with zero holes if protected from moths. Of course, a Pendleton board shirt is much tougher than a lightweight merino base layer.
    Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  87.8 KB

you gona tell me that ^^ was done by a moth ? i got one that is worse somewhere but I can't find it, maybe it got thrown out in any case its too fucking cold for moths up here its not moth holes its wear holes cuz merino just doesnt stand up

in about a year of strictly towny use a long sleeve shirt developed a hole from rubbing on my titanium casio altimiter watch which I have never seen happen to any other fabric

I will buy a light weight merino t shirt because its cheaper, its next to the body but won't stink, the finer weave won't bug my skin ( heavy merino gives me a rash ) and then I can just wear something over the holes & merino