Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    Thanks all for the radio suggestions. Going to try to get one while in canmore next week

And thank mcrawfo for the info about the chinese radio, we were actually wondering that when we drove the gorge today. Seems we weren't hearing call outs until less than 2km and it felt a bit sketchy.... so nicer radio it is.

Also gorge was great today. Touchy out of the trees, so 17km got wrecked today (15+ people lapping it). Pretty warm, but now enough to rot the snow.
    Its mostly topography that impacts comms distance on the gorge road.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

22cm in past 24 at Silver Star, skied a lot deeper. Fun morning!
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

All of a sudden its filling in nicely here. Its been a pleasant surprise to finish the day with deep untracked on the lower mt and a short slide into lot4

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Just got in to Revelstoke and will be skiing the resort tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up.

No photos, but the snow at Rogers Pass was phenomenal today - some of the lightest, deepest powder I've ever skied. I love December pow.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    No photos, but the snow at Rogers Pass was phenomenal today - some of the lightest, deepest powder I've ever skied. I love December pow.
    S then E then E facing pow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3206.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	306436

Name:	DSC07177.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	306437

Beautiful! Was going to see if you were interested in heading up the creek this trip, Lee, but Jan/February is usually best. Keep it in mind...

I just moved to Nelson for the season and I'm looking for partners if anyone needs an extra. I am currently waiting at the resort boundaries asking to join groups (with surprising success!) Comfortable with long hikes and steep terrain but I'm up for anything. Glad to see everyone killing it at Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Beautiful! Was going to see if you were interested in heading up the creek this trip, Lee, but Jan/February is usually best. Keep it in mind...
    I'm always interested A! But am planted for the week

Quote Originally Posted by COLE_E View Post
    I just moved to Nelson for the season and I'm looking for partners if anyone needs an extra. I am currently waiting at the resort boundaries asking to join groups (with surprising success!) Comfortable with long hikes and steep terrain but I'm up for anything. Glad to see everyone killing it at Rodgers.
    I'm needing partners for WH20 and Kootenay Pass as well. Let's have a chat!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ^^^ it is interesting that they did not take the Real Estate. This is how most resorts make any money, not much money in pass sales. There is actually quite a bit (30 acres) up there still to be developed.
    I'm sure you know more about the business than me...although I just saw what RMR is charging for a day pass - $129 up from $99 two seasons ago. Seems like resorts are doing what they can to make money from lifts! Season passes can still be decent value though...

Everything gets more expensive. the only thing that ever goes down is working class wages... probably for the better, you don't need a bunch a blue collar yahoos bringing down the high class resort vibe.

hey all - headed up from MT for a Nelson vacation in Jan. Hoping to explore the sidecountry and backcountry. Thinking about hiring a guide for a day to learn the snowpack, routes, etc. You all have any recs? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    I'm sure you know more about the business than me...although I just saw what RMR is charging for a day pass - $129 up from $99 two seasons ago. Seems like resorts are doing what they can to make money from lifts! Season passes can still be decent value though...
    I don't blame them, have you seen the lift lines there for the gondi? Reason (lines) I stopped going a long time ago. If the people will pay then why not?

I am suprised Revy is not developing anything else at the base (maybe they are I am not paying attention) because I have seen the prices sky rocket, its nuts.

This just got listed today at $470k. 780 sq ft. https://matrix.interiorbc.ca/DE.asp?ID=2185853275

I don't blame them, have you seen the lift lines there for the gondi? Reason (lines) I stopped going a long time ago. If the people will pay then why not?

I am suprised Revy is not developing anything else at the base (maybe they are I am not paying attention) because I have seen the prices sky rocket, its nuts.

This just got listed today at $470k. 780 sq ft. https://matrix.interiorbc.ca/DE.asp?ID=2185853275
    Apparently the new aged "disruptive" model for the ski industry is pass sales.... lolz.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ki-Company-etc

Quote Originally Posted by caruzo406 View Post
    hey all - headed up from MT for a Nelson vacation in Jan. Hoping to explore the sidecountry and backcountry. Thinking about hiring a guide for a day to learn the snowpack, routes, etc. You all have any recs? Thanks
    Summit Mountain Guides Dave Lussier who is the principal guide is a local badass.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Everything gets more expensive. the only thing that ever goes down is working class wages... probably for the better, you don't need a bunch a blue collar yahoos bringing down the high class resort vibe.
    Good point. Can't remember the last time I saw someone skiing in jeans. Those guys are priced out

Powder days are a bit of a hassle there...starting to sounds like an oldtimer here. Lines tend to fizzle out after a couple hours though. Looks like the potential for more R/E development (40 hectares or so eventually) as per the updated master plan:
    https://www.revelstokemountainresort...ew#futureplans

They plan a 158 bed hotel and conference centre and 90 units of worker housing. Be interesting how the conference business goes given the access difficulties. https://revelstokemountaineer.com/ne...reliminary-ok/

Skiing there today did not suck

RMR seems unwilling to put their stock of condos on the real estate market. They must be lucrative as hotel rooms, because I'm not sure why else they wouldn't given the real estate climate in town.

As mentioned, the new hotel and conference centre is in the works, and staff housing is supposed to be built simultaneously.

Name:	20191220_212318.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	711.3 KB 
ID:	307072
    Pillows?

This has to be one of the more bizarre starts to the season in terms of how skewed snowfalls have been in BC... Revelstoke had an all time week with 120+ cm since Monday. And prior to that another meter since the start of Dec. A good chunk of that accumulation has fallen at the base of the mountain. Yesterday I was hitting waist deep pockets in the trees and alpine.

Silver Star is doing far better then Big White for accumulation which is unusual as well. BW didn't see much snow from this river, since it was funnel prolly 15km north of Biggy most of the last 3 days.

The coast is just now starting to get snow but a lot more is needed.

As for Red Mountain ;( Was suppose to open Friday after a week delay... only to be delayed again until Monday. There is very little snow in the Red Alpine and unfortunately the AR gave them rain at the base of the mountain. That's worse for Red then the start of the 2014/2015 season of doom.

Whitewater webcam ain't looking encouraging either with green trees at the lodge which would suggest freezing levels above 1600m there.

Pillow trackers of the Monashee / Pinnicles and Purcells all have been above median, and greater volume of total precip than past years, and the early stuff really pushed down the alders, resultign is some prety decent covergae this year over last.

the drought periods have been super unfortunate, creating some persistent weak layers ... Personalty (and I am just a hack not an expert), I would think some heavy snow wont be that bad all in all. we need something to help clear out or heal up these weak layers.

fuck....Interior snow pack problems.

Lee Lau sighting! Revy firing- better and better as day went on!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Lee Lau sighting! Revy firing- better and better as day went on!
    Right on C! It's drying out and the snow held at about 800m FL. Meanwhile just 100kms south it was raining to 1600m - so weird

Name:	DSC07389.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	307181

We were at a hut start of week near New Denver- pulled out early as it snowed 60cm and started pouring rain by mid day at tree line yesterday. Avy’s rumbling everywhere around us through the fog . Didn’t need much convincing for us to leave.

Drove 150km which took 4-5hrs on nasty roads to the north. Got better as it changed to snow.

Skied hill today-well worth it- headed to coast for Xmas. Have fun!