Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2019/2020 BC interior

Welcome back.....

Forestry is in the dumps right now, should make for some shitty access for the anti-sled/ 2WD crew.

Otherwise winter predictions look relatively normal. Skiing is only 40 days away, if you are not bias to a solid base.

Keep it frosty, keep it safe.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

decent turns at the southern resort this week (not me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iydMQzGMtg
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Hey Okanagan peeps; are there any Kelowna ski shops other than MEC that sell ski touring boots? Looking to do some fit testing. Thanks!
    Master of mediocrity.

^^^ https://www.staytunedsports.com/

I found them to be very knowledgeable and they had a good selection.

That storm was wet right to 2400m here. With tonight's freeze, I think Sunday will be chasing deer over alpine exploring. Wonder what the conditions towards the trench are though. Snow in Albreda was down to 1200m this last week. Pretty good coverage for this time of year all round.

^^^ Really? when it came in here FL dropped to 1200m. Trees are white above Kal lake.

Wind was crazy on the lake. Got lots of raking to do now.

Ya, it was the wind that kept the freezing levels so high here. It was gusting near 100kph during most of the precip. Lots of powerlines and phones down, some roads blocked for a bit with the deadfall. There's been a few stiff Northwesterlies this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    That storm was wet right to 2400m here. With tonight's freeze, I think Sunday will be chasing deer over alpine exploring. Wonder what the conditions towards the trench are though. Snow in Albreda was down to 1200m this last week. Pretty good coverage for this time of year all round.
    Rain to atleast 2200m on Rogers Pass. ~1m of snow at 2000m. Coverage is there, ski quality would leave something to be desired. Storm finished cold but not quite enough padding over the raincrust for good skiing. Lots of wind effect.
    Drive slow, homie.

I saw a few tracks going up connaught. A few adventurous souls. May want to wear padding

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Looks like Castle got more snow! I wish West K wasn’t a 10 hour drive from there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ^^^ https://www.staytunedsports.com/

I found them to be very knowledgeable and they had a good selection.
    Thanks for the rec, hefe. Completed the trifecta of mec, staytuned and fresh air. All were great with friendly service and vibe. Tested all the remaining boots I was lookin' for and found a bunch of spare touring boot parts I was hoping to find for some touring boot mods i'm workin' on. But holy hell, that kelowna traffic was insane.

In other news...anyone been out ski touring since the warm up event and big outflow wind bomb? Did a macrae day before those events and it was pretty good...guessing' a lot of the easy pickins were trashed by those weather events and skier traffic by now.

Any other reasonable toyota matrix access options out there that might hold some skiable snow? If there's a bunch of breakable crust around...wonder if there's enough snow with a more supportive crust on steeper solar aspects that mighta gotten sufficiently baked down?
    Master of mediocrity.

^^^ how long you hear for? Typically hit gorge on Rembrance day and have not been denied once. Not sure if logging is going on right now though. Looking like snow will start up again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ^^^ how long you hear for? Typically hit gorge on Rembrance day and have not been denied once. Not sure if logging is going on right now though. Looking like snow will start up again next week.
    Floating around the general area for the next week and a bit...but if the Gorge looks like it's probable after some snowfall, could extend the trip for sure. Spot forecast for Queest shows some hope.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 10-31-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Just an invite from those of us down south to any of our northerly neighbors: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...daho-Panhandle

Everyone who is considering skiing at Rogers Pass this winter should visit http://pc.gc.ca/skirogers. This tells you why you need winter permits to ski most areas in Glacier National Park, why you can never ski some areas and how you can get a daily or annual winter permit to ski restricted areas which are open. N.B. the winter restricted areas have changed this year to consolidate them into 4 larger areas. The quiz for the annual winter permits is now online.
    Last edited by nickinbc; 11-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.

F this shit weather, that is all.

long range forecasts have been a total cock tease. Early season problems.

At lest the the MTB is still good.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Just found a decent gravel ski pitch that has potential. Needs grooming though. Workable as is for techy, pivot turns but for the better feeling, carefree long radius slarves, all the bigger rocks have to removed.

Westside road from Vernon area to Kelowna.

Name:  P1110805.JPG
Views: 11414
Size:  161.5 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Don't worry guys, I'm heading down to Pemberton with the daughter to winterize the cabin. Just a quick in and out trip over the duffy this long weekend. The snow gods can't resist such an opportunity to fuck with travel conditions when I'm alone on the road with a 2nd grader.

I actually blame cmcrawfo for starting this damn thread too early!

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...eriods-in.html

I didn't notice this thread was started. Yea, something is not right. Thinking the Ullr thread may be needed if BCmnthound's trip doesn't deliver.
    On the bright side/darkside the 30 centimetre base up in the Alpine (mid Monashees) has formed a solid crust. Should provide a solid base as long as it doesn’t slide.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8470.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	301442

No pow? No problem. Gravel skiing conditions are all time. West side road stash delivered....the cliff out line presented some legit exposure. Fun.

Also, I didn't realize that sand/gravel skiing was so frowned upon by The Man in these parts though... $1000 fine minimum?

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-11-07-22h37m58s921.png
Views: 5760
Size:  688.5 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-11-07-22h41m21s658.png
Views: 5265
Size:  376.6 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    No pow? No problem. Gravel skiing conditions are all time. West side road stash delivered....the cliff out line presented some legit exposure. Fun.

Also, I didn't realize that sand/gravel skiing was so frowned upon by The Man in these parts though... $1000 fine minimum?

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-11-07-22h37m58s921.png
Views: 5760
Size:  688.5 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-11-07-22h41m21s658.png
Views: 5265
Size:  376.6 KB
    Ha you are right across from my house there. We actually did go skiing up at the end of whitemans Creek last winter. Good terrain up there.

Ha.. Thats great. Thought there would be some smoother brown pow just north of Vernon. Pretty sure its a gravel pit. Hopefully we can switch to the white stuff soon!