Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Might be a good reset. Its been kind of spooky travelling through the snowsheds daily and have them without debris across them. A lot of snow up high and i cant renember them not having debris on them this late in the season

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    150 km/h gust up on MacDonald West Shoulder above Rogers Pass at 5am this morning.

I know the group at the Asulkan Hut this weekend. Wonder if they got much sleep last night?

(edit) gusted 181 km/h at 6 am
    Just heard they bailed yesterday. A good decision!

Wow. We bailed from the Centre parking lot last night as well. The drive down to Revy was harrowing in the 'ol Winnebago, and they closed the road from about 2000 until this afternoon. The rest stop where we stayed was full of truckers, and the aquatic centre was full of dirtbags this afternoon. Here's hoping things will be better up there next week. I'd really like a clear day or few to do some bigger tours.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Anyone been to Kootenay Pass in the last 48 hours? Would like to know how deep the rain crust is getting.

I'll be in a group of 5-8 driving up to Nelson from Seattle/Bellingham at the end of the month. We are hoping to tour for a half day somewhere along the way on the way up. Any recommendations along highway 3? Just looking at elevation, seems like the Sunshine Valley area is our best bet. I've never actually driven out 3 on previous trips to the Kootenays, so I don't really know what things look like out there. Our group is reasonably experienced, but definitely more into playing it safe in touchy conditions than seeking out huge lines.

Recommendations for Nelson area touring are also welcome! Have done a few things off the Whitewater access road, and two trips to the lodge on Seeman. Most likely we will head to Kootenay Pass one day, up Ymir another if the snowpack isn't super scary.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    I'll be in a group of 5-8 driving up to Nelson from Seattle/Bellingham at the end of the month. We are hoping to tour for a half day somewhere along the way on the way up. Any recommendations along highway 3? Just looking at elevation, seems like the Sunshine Valley area is our best bet. I've never actually driven out 3 on previous trips to the Kootenays, so I don't really know what things look like out there. Our group is reasonably experienced, but definitely more into playing it safe in touchy conditions than seeking out huge lines.

Recommendations for Nelson area touring are also welcome! Have done a few things off the Whitewater access road, and two trips to the lodge on Seeman. Most likely we will head to Kootenay Pass one day, up Ymir another if the snowpack isn't super scary.

Thanks!
    Super mellow meadow skipping on Allison Pass (hwy. 3) - you can park at the highway maintenance yard (inside the gate) cross the road and you're on the skinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Super mellow meadow skipping on Allison Pass (hwy. 3) - you can park at the highway maintenance yard (inside the gate) cross the road and you're on the skinner.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post

Thanks!
    I can't help much with suggestions for half day tours until you are near Rossland and by then you are so close to Nelson I assume you will push on. It sounds like you have some ideas but if you are looking for suggestions for the area let me know. I'm not on here everyday but I will check in. Have a great trip!

Gorge was v deep this weekend. Sluff management was real but the new snow seems to be bonding to the rain layer (we weren't busting through at all either)
    And heads up --caribou closure from 17.5 to 21km, but there are no signs and the cell phone maps are terrible (if you can get them to work at all) - C.O.'s were out giving warnings, luckily we didn't venture that way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86176216_639554563487692_2745156268820791296_n.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	315175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85166006_283631972614224_9127945495694540800_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	315176

Nice work. Similar conditions up at Rogers Pass over the weekend.
    Watched a little slide come down the exit from the Swiss glacier Saturday in the late afternoon and covered the tracks of a skier that had just passed by.

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	315260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	315261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	315262

2019/2020 BC interior

Anywhere I can park my car in Revelstoke for a few days this weekend& not worry about paying/being towed? Also suggestions for a few skis & paraglider to store somewhere other than car if possible..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...in-Closure.pdf

Is this a new closure, or just a newly enforced one?

...specifically the closure of 17-21km? (aware of the historic closure) ... is this part of a special conditions closure?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

We talked to the c.o. and it sounds like it is part of the special conditions due to increased snowpack this year, and it will only be closed until April 15. But don't quote me. The c.o. was previously a caribou biologist and gave me a 30 min talk on their habits so I zoned out a bit.

Staying at Hazel Hut this weekend near Retallack. Mt. Brennan and London Ridge are the two obvious tours but wondering if anyone knows of any other tours between Kaslo and New Denver that don't require a sled?

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    We talked to the c.o. and it sounds like it is part of the special conditions due to increased snowpack this year, and it will only be closed until April 15. But don't quote me. The c.o. was previously a caribou biologist and gave me a 30 min talk on their habits so I zoned out a bit.
    I love the caribous as much as the next guy, but ya gotta wonder ... if the road was being plowed, I dont think access for ski touring would be impacted.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I love the caribous as much as the next guy, but ya gotta wonder ... if the road was being plowed, I dont think access for ski touring would be impacted.
    We also thought it was a little suspicious that closure conveniently didn't include any of K3's roads....
    In fact we were told the closure "ends where the groomed cat road starts"

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeaner14 View Post
    Staying at Hazel Hut this weekend near Retallack. Mt. Brennan and London Ridge are the two obvious tours but wondering if anyone knows of any other tours between Kaslo and New Denver that don't require a sled?
    Tree skiing laps: Climb to the top of the ridge opposite Retallack and drop the endless North facing tree lines into Whitewater Creek.
    A full day wander: Tour up Whitewater Creek, through the Col to the North of Whitewater Peak, and ski down into and out from Kane Creek.
    Huge day, rad line: Climb Brennan, drop off the North Side (various options, from committing to extreme) into South Cooper Creek, tour back up into Whitewater Creek to exit.

COs patrolling by helicopter and issuing fines to sledders in Caribou closures around Nakusp.
    https://www.trailtimes.ca/news/sledd...e-near-nakusp/

Quote Originally Posted by GrantN View Post
    Anywhere I can park my car in Revelstoke for a few days this weekend& not worry about paying/being towed? Also suggestions for a few skis & paraglider to store somewhere other than car if possible..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You could previously get a day at the rec centre but it depends on the plow schedule. Tbh it's going to be a tough one given that it's a long weekend

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8FW2PM...=1xtah4qftso0f

Some buddies of mine recently. Caribou really just want to eat your pee. For the record this is not in a closure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Tree skiing laps: Climb to the top of the ridge opposite Retallack and drop the endless North facing tree lines into Whitewater Creek.
    A full day wander: Tour up Whitewater Creek, through the Col to the North of Whitewater Peak, and ski down into and out from Kane Creek.
    Huge day, rad line: Climb Brennan, drop off the North Side (various options, from committing to extreme) into South Cooper Creek, tour back up into Whitewater Creek to exit.

Cheers!

looks so deep! jealous. Not much pow in Whistler this year.

Just got back from a week at fairy meadows. Need to sort pics but here are some gooders.
    Outpost couloir. Skied really well

Name:	20200212_141551.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	853.9 KB 
ID:	316010

Name:	20200212_113544.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	316011
    Gothic glacier

Name:	20200210_133332.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	772.3 KB 
ID:	316012
    This pillow zone was amazing on storm days

Name:	20200211_105849.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	831.4 KB 
ID:	316013
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Just got back from a week at fairy meadows. Need to sort pics but here are some gooders.
    Outpost couloir. Skied really well
    Sick! Can't wait to see the rest.

Nice Hefe!! Getting hiiiigh!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app