Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Let's try that againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200220_195656_524.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	317264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1582560888479.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	317265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200224_082440_891.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	317266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1582560905676.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	317267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200223_081202_752.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	317268

Nice pics folks. Hope you have decent news Hefe. We finally may get an extended spring

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Old hat for most posters on this thread but I centralized some info on deals, food and accommodations for Kicking Horse. It has changed a lot ( go figure) since Whitetooth days

https://snowbrains.com/golden-and-ki...d-trip-part-1/

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice pics folks. Hope you have decent news Hefe. We finally may get an extended spring

Thanks. Not feeling great, hit the bike this morning with mixed results. Was bound to happen sooner or later after hitting 40. Will try and get a proper TR going, so many photos to go through. FM is amazing though, what a special place.

Last edited by el hefe; 02-25-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Nice Pictures, Hefe... Looks like a great spot over there. Hope the knee heals quick!

Thanks again for the turns and the delicious beer, Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Backroads Brewing and Torchlight Brewing both have good beer, but no food (I think?). Torchlight is better but a longer walk.
    Heresy! I guess it's all down to what you like.

Also good to know is Empire coffee - best coffee in town (IMO) and open early every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Heresy! I guess it's all down to what you like.

Also good to know is Empire coffee - best coffee in town (IMO) and open early every morning.
    To be honest I have only been to Backroads once or twice, maybe I just got unlucky with my beer choices.

Any reason to bring axe/rope/shenanigan gear Friday-Tuesday? or are things deep/scary enough to not bother with that sort of thing? Looks like snow+wind Friday night could shuffle the run list.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post

Unicorn, don't know how fancy you like your dining experience but Red Light Ramen is pretty good, and not too hard to get a table at. Backroads Brewing and Torchlight Brewing both have good beer, but no food (I think?). Torchlight is better but a longer walk. Jackson's Hole Bar/Grill is probably the most reliable food option, have been there a bunch of times because we couldn't get in to anywhere else on a crowded weekend. It's nothing special but not bad. Oso Negro Cafe has really good breakfast sandwiches, wraps, and coffee.
    I been up narth forever so I missed the whole craft brew thing but in General the Craft Brews at least up narth don't have food because its way more hassle to serve food but you can order in or maybe there will be a food truck parks outside

the exception to this might be Cross roads in Prince George who do great food, I met the owner (oddly enough at another brewery) and he said I can brew beer with 3 employees, the restaurant part requires WAY more staff, health regs yada yada
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hey Mags, beta needed. Coming back to BC this year. Skied most big mtns multiple times over the past decade +. This year taking a break from the long drive to Revy.

Skiing Whitefish for 2 days, Fernie for 2, A day of Cat, and then Crystal. Hit Whitefish and Fernie last year and it was a good time, minus the resulting shoulder surgery. Been wanting to hit Crystal for a while, any intel? Also trying to decide between Panorama, Kimberly, or just going back to Fernie or MT snow conditions depending.

Kimberly map looks mainly intermediate but never been there. Panoroma would add a couple hours on the return to MT (flight in/out) but down if it’s worth it.

Thanks in advance. If any local mags are there, look for AK JJs with a change sticker or holler out asking for change for a nickel.

First round on me. Heading up annual trip with my dad 03-10 March. Can hold my own and dad is an ex racer.

Quote Originally Posted by steezybomber View Post
    Hey Mags, beta needed. Coming back to BC this year. Skied most big mtns multiple times over the past decade +. This year taking a break from the long drive to Revy.

Skiing Whitefish for 2 days, Fernie for 2, A day of Cat, and then Crystal. Hit Whitefish and Fernie last year and it was a good time, minus the resulting shoulder surgery. Been wanting to hit Crystal for a while, any intel? Also trying to decide between Panorama, Kimberly, or just going back to Fernie or MT snow conditions depending.

Kimberly map looks mainly intermediate but never been there. Panoroma would add a couple hours on the return to MT (flight in/out) but down if it’s worth it.

Thanks in advance. If any local mags are there, look for AK JJs with a change sticker or holler out asking for change for a nickel.

First round on me. Heading up annual trip with my dad 03-10 March. Can hold my own and dad is an ex racer.
    Unless you and your Dad are looking to ski groomers skip Panorama and Kimberly. Both intermediate skiing for the most part. Kimberly usually gets similar snowfall and weather to Fernie, but the terrain in much better at Fernie. Panorama doesn't get much snow usually. Although Kickinh Horse is another hour past Pano, if it has recent snow it's the best resort in BC IMO... don't tell anyone I said that.
    I like huge dumps.

GoldenGarb -- thanks for the intel. Yep, Ive skied KH a bunch of times. Great hill, though the constantly funneling at the bottom gets exhausting.

Sounds like skip both Pano/Kimberly. Crystal seems to be a fun spot to check out.

Thanks again, hows the snow this week? And nope, wont say a word on KH haha.

Quote Originally Posted by steezybomber View Post
    GoldenGarb -- thanks for the intel. Yep, Ive skied KH a bunch of times. Great hill, though the constantly funneling at the bottom gets exhausting.

Sounds like skip both Pano/Kimberly. Crystal seems to be a fun spot to check out.

Thanks again, hows the snow this week? And nope, wont say a word on KH haha.
    Kimberley and Pano can be a lot of fun if they have just gotten a bunch of snow, not to mention that you can pretty much ski right onto their lifts almost any day of the week, even if it has just dumped. So if you are flexible on last minute decisions keep them in mind.

I’m pondering a visit to Nelson/whitewater and bc nearby this coming week- any thoughts on current and near future conditions?
    There seems to be a decent amount of beta online and in print for route ideas, what else should I be looking into?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’m pondering a visit to Nelson/whitewater and bc nearby this coming week- any thoughts on current and near future conditions?
    There seems to be a decent amount of beta online and in print for route ideas, what else should I be looking into?

There’s plenty of snow on the ground, snow surface conditions are holding up well on all non sun-affected aspects, freezing levels are staying low (enough) with small top-ups forecast for Fri-Sat, and Mon-Tues, and there are no significant instability issues. Get after it.

The snow is good at Whitewater. I won’t come back without touring gear. Inbounds everything gets tracked out quickly but the access to backcountry is amazing. Waiting for tonight’s refresh.

There’s a great bulletin board downstairs in the main lodge with current avalanche conditions and forecast, bc sign out and a great map of adjacent terrain that you can also purchase.

Outstanding, sounds like the right thing to do!

Gravity always wins...

Outstanding, sounds like the right thing to do!

The drive was way nicer than I thought it would be from Wenatchee. 97/20 to Republic and then North to Danville/ Grand Forks. Follow 3/3a to Nelson. I think it was around 5 hours actual drive time. Stop in Republic for a beer at Republic Brewing. Great beer and friendly locals.

Thanks MU, depending on weather I’ll possibly be on the way up early this week to poke around.

Gravity always wins...

Great info here -- thanks!
    Flying into Kelwona this week..worth skiing Big White before heading up to Revy?
    Got 5 days in Revy scheduled..any bars/eats a must?

Thanks!
    BB
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

I'd keep an eye on conditions. Big White can be amazing, especially on days like today. Hardly anyone here lapping the Cliff chair.
    Bars in Revy have been gone over lots. Village idiot, CraftBeirhaus, La Baguette. Lots of options in Kelowna too.

Its more get a beer or 3 with a good meal but i like emo's. Great food, best pizza in town and usually a beer special. Before 4 i get the triple decker club with ceasar salad. Soo good!. After 4 its usually salisbury steak or the chicken and ribs. Both are on a big oval with fried veggies, choice of fries, baked potato, salad or spagetti. I get them w spag which comes with garlic toast. Amazing. Or its pizza. The pepporoni with fresh ,non cooked, tomatoe chunks is really good. Comfy padded booths and lights are dim and relaxing after a good day. Good price too. I like the others mentioned too but the straight up wooden benches and chairs suck after a big day

Thanks for the intel grinch! Start skiing Revy on Wednesday for a week. I'll be in touch when boots are on the ground. Hope to bring some snow with us.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Thanks for the intel grinch! Start skiing Revy on Wednesday for a week. I'll be in touch when boots are on the ground. Hope to bring some snow with us.
    Forecast looks good! Below 7c and the stoke chair will typically be snow and,fingers crossed, im only seeing highs of 5. Really nice yesterday at plus 4 in town with some fresh overnight

Thanks for the intel guys. For those skiing WW, agreed on touring. In bounds terrain is great, but gets tracked out quickly. But will a little time under the rope, there are so GREAT pillow lines. not to mention good people, less crowds, and the best food of any ski resort ive ever been too. but don't tell the masses!

What are people's thoughts on Castle? The hill looks fun, local vibe, and some good terrain. I know I will mist Revy, and the tree skiing at places like Red is super fun. But want to try something new. Any mags local to castle? I will be up there end in about a week, though being flex with weather. Only hard plans are two days to star at Whitefish followed by home base in Fernie.

Though with the recent weather, kind of wish I was at Jay in VT, 32 inches in a couple days makes for some fun skiing! Thanks again, if any of ya'll are around, happy to link up and grab a beer.

^ Castle and Whitewater were always my favourites back when I used to regularly travel around to ski. It's probably been a decade since I've been but I imagine it still has a similar vibe, which was a nice contrast to Fernie. Personally, the less popular resorts with decent terrain and good snow are more my style