Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Red Mountain seems to be getting skunked so far this season, with meagher snowfall totals, high freezing levels, and multiple episodes of freezing rain. Yesterday (Sunday) was a weird mix of snow, wind and freezing rain that required hard goggle scratching at intervals down every run, and the mountain was deserted. I met up with a couple of hard skiing mums just stoked to be skiing, and we lapped untracked “powder” lines topped with a noisy but skiable zipper crust until our legs gave out. A great day.

Worthy of a beer or 3. Good work. Snow and some cooling forecast for the end of the week so that might change things. Hoping to get into my lower valley stashes

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

ho hum another heavy snow fall warning!

^^^ I am finding the low elevation stuff excellent so far for this time of the year. That last insta vid was pretty low elevation. Even here in Vernon there is a shit ton of snow in the foothills, time for some townie laps.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ho hum another heavy snow fall warning!

^^^ I am finding the low elevation stuff excellent so far for this time of the year. That last insta vid was pretty low elevation. Even here in Vernon there is a shit ton of snow in the foothills, time for some townie laps.
    The windslab development up high is something. It does mean that surface hoar issue is largely mitigated up high ( but probably still exists in sheltered pockets like leeward couloirs).

Unfortunately SH will still be a problem where the skiing is the best ie below treeline . But hey at least there's a fat snowpack in Monashees, Selkirks area

Saw some tracks down the Black Mtn couloir. Brave move

Looks filled in enough to do regular Black Mountain now. Alive, have you been out yet?

Question - planning the last bit of my trip that's in a month:

What's the best place to stay near Banff? In Banff at a hotel? Or south in Harvie Heights / Canmore? Looking for maximum restaurant / night life potential on a Friday night. It looks like there are way more options for Airbnb and hotels down in Canmore. Only can really find hotel rooms up in Banff.

read and post in how to do Banff Thread by mtnlion

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    Saw some tracks down the Black Mtn couloir. Brave move

Looks filled in enough to do regular Black Mountain now. Alive, have you been out yet?
    $10 it was him

Not sure how much you guys have down in kelowna but once you go about 500ft above town here the amount of snow is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    " but it didn't really have a negative effect on the skiing quality" where have you been skiing this winter? I've been out 15 days and that was by far the worst snow conditions in the alpine I've experienced this season.
    You absolutely have a knack for sniffing out the worst snow conditions.

Its a rare quality in the interior. I wonder if you could monetize that skill somehow.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    " but it didn't really have a negative effect on the skiing quality" where have you been skiing this winter? I've been out 15 days and that was by far the worst snow conditions in the alpine I've experienced this season.
    As stated, I was skiing in the Valhallas. While it wasn't triple overhead blower pow, I found the skiing to be very good, despite the creme brulee crust. It was still significantly better quality than 9/10 "pow" days in the PNW are. But hey, you do you.

$10 it was him
    Ha! That wasn’t me, but I did do a tour around Black mt. Before work, just not down the chute on the light skis. Definitely a lot of snow up there now. Curious as to the conditions in the chute. A solid base for the most part but still some areas where you’d hit bottom. I’d bring the rock skis.
    After a slow start, there’s been some pretty healthy snowfall around here. Big White is already at a217 cm base. Have had some great days in the back country over the holidays.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8636.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	309520

^^sweet pic. That sky puts a stamp on it

Revelstuck. No way out. Hope sum 1's gettin sum. Save me a morsel or 3 eh!!

Just back from a week at Sorcerer, snowed every day, blower pow at treeline and below, didn't get into the Alpine at all. Surface hoar could be found in sheltered treeline areas.

Another 20cm at SS, hasn't stopped snowing since Dec 30. Pretty crazy. Almost 2ft in town in places. Tomorrow should be good if it keeps up.

Refill friday is a good program. I hope rmr keeps that going. Sick day!!

Oh my... It keeps coming. I think we all know we have El Hefe to thank for this winter.
    Hopefully will make it through the closures for a few days up Highway 23 this weekend.

I'd say its pretty good right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2G0A2661.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	310145

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2G0A2704.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	633.4 KB 
ID:	310146

Nice captures!

Finally, winter is here at Red. The base is in, and (like everyone else in the region) we’re in the middle of major cold storm cycle. Yesterday (Friday) afternoon was boot deep, eerily deserted, and we were still skiing completely untracked lines until last chair. This morning there’s another 10cm on the stick (so double that where I’m headed) and it’s still snowing hard.

Another 20cm at SS, hasn't stopped snowing since Dec 30. Pretty crazy. Almost 2ft in town in places. Tomorrow should be good if it keeps up.
    Interesting fact: Silverstar has had twice the snow of niseko this season so far.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

holy shit. Not surprised from what you were telling me. Man it skied well this weekend, got over 40 runs in!

We just cancelled flights to Japan (it would have been my 3rd trip), and instead will be going to BC for about 3 weeks starting around 20 Jan. Let's hope it keeps snowing.

I'll be touring almost every day, and my GF will prob join a lot, though she does like to ride lifts on occasion. I guess the main thinking is to just go toward Rogers right now, but we're totally open. We'll be rolling in the '82 Winnebago.

I'm very open to suggestions for places to tour! The GF especially likes mellow trees. If anyone wants to show me around, I'm more than happy to break trail all day, every day.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

herd today in a CBC interview about the cold " its cold enough for old people to start sleeping together again "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    herd today in a CBC interview about the cold " its cold enough for old people to start sleeping together again "
    A domino effect. Ullr could be pleased in turn bring more snow. Where my cane?