Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    35 ish over night at the pass and busy up Connaught. So busy I headed elsewhere and was rewarded . There SH now burried, something to remember.

I wonder if Big White opening will be delayed? says 20cm base in the village a 1755m elevations. That's bad for this time of year and no snow in the forseeable. BW is usually the snowiest mountain in the Okanagan but seems to be doing far worse then Silver Star, Sun Peaks and even Apex this year so far.

Its pretty rocky there so probably just WROD.

Monashees are a bit low tide right now as well. Wind was crazy on Saturday night, sunday had 20-30 of fresh but very slabby and wind effected.

Friday was fun - https://www.instagram.com/p/B5RgZp-B...EeM4da970Yqg0/
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    I wonder if Big White opening will be delayed? says 20cm base in the village a 1755m elevations. That's bad for this time of year and no snow in the forseeable. BW is usually the snowiest mountain in the Okanagan but seems to be doing far worse then Silver Star, Sun Peaks and even Apex this year so far.
    Are you based out of Big White this year? If so, have you considered that there may be some kind of weather curse placed on you? Maybe try and line up a smudging or some sort of exorcism.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    ....a bit low tide right now ...
    Truth. I was chatting with an ambulance crew that picked up a boot top fracture in Malakwa last week. Survival skiing at its finest.

Can someone school me on radios and where I can buy one in Kelowna/Vernon?

I've always borrowed, but it's time to buy my own now that we have a sled

Alpine IT- golden. Call Evan. Will set up-programmed and good to go. Tell him ur area so he can input what u need. They ship it all ready to use.

Online at mparam.com, based in Canmore I think. Lots of good info to read first.

Cmcrawfo has some boafangs.

[QUOTE=Lamothe;5818606]I feel like I should spend more time here. All you old folks gota get on that social media bandwagon for the hottest condition reports! Speaking of hot. Yesterday up in Urus area things were cooking on the souths, temp crust exists below 1800m generally and i assume after yesterday that anything steep and solar will also have a crust, inverted temps all day. SH to size 5 right to the summit of urus minor so keep that on the radar! Asulkan is skiable even prior to last week end with okay skiing starting just below the tree triangle. Still room in connaught for turns, urus uptrack = hell. Have fun, here's some stoke!

Thanks for sharing! Great to see people out skiing early season. I'm on the fence about Kootenay Pass this weekend. It was thin last weekend and I don't think it got anything fresh.

[QUOTE=Gentleman Skier;5824286]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    I feel like I should spend more time here. All you old folks gota get on that social media bandwagon for the hottest condition reports! Speaking of hot. Yesterday up in Urus area things were cooking on the souths, temp crust exists below 1800m generally and i assume after yesterday that anything steep and solar will also have a crust, inverted temps all day. SH to size 5 right to the summit of urus minor so keep that on the radar! Asulkan is skiable even prior to last week end with okay skiing starting just below the tree triangle. Still room in connaught for turns, urus uptrack = hell. Have fun, here's some stoke!

Thanks for sharing! Great to see people out skiing early season. I'm on the fence about Kootenay Pass this weekend. It was thin last weekend and I don't think it got anything fresh.
    No beta, but you might be surprised. I know rogers pass recieved light snow fall consistently. A lot of the times it snowed only a few hundred feet lower than the pass. Below that and into revy/golden there was nothing. More to the west though. Banks are small from the beaver east to gtown

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    Can someone school me on radios and where I can buy one in Kelowna/Vernon?

I've always borrowed, but it's time to buy my own now that we have a sled
    baofeng UV-5R is a pretty standard, cheap option.... wish.com, banggood.com , aliexpress all have them. just have to find the best deal with shipping. There is a guy in lakecountry that programs them for 20 bucks.... I could also preform that service for beer if you happen to be in Vernon.

all the baofeng handhelds I have seen are max 5W broadcasting power (despite some being advertised on line as more) ... but in practice they seem to broadcast on slightly lower power than that. Not a problem for personal communication, but its important to know that the logging truck that you can hear from 20+ km away, likely cant hear you until you are about 2km away.... as their in vehicle units pump out significantly higher watts.

Fingers crossed that this means more development, they have lots of potential to improve their summer (MTB) product offerings.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the only changes we see are increased pass prices and an new list reciprocal US resorts..... that no one is going visit.

I was planning on a trip this spring down through Washington-cali to use some of the days off the powder alliance pass through Whitewater, and hit some volcanoes, Sierras.....anyone else thinking of going south this year?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Fingers crossed that this means more development, they have lots of potential to improve their summer (MTB) product offerings.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the only changes we see are increased pass prices and an new list reciprocal US resorts..... that no one is going visit.
    Powdr seems, at least at first glance, to be somewhat different than, say, vail. In the very least, they seem more focussed on the resorts than the real estate value (they didn’t buy the real estate arm of silver star) and aren’t built around a shared pass model. They do own and run Woodward camps, which has built up mtb facilities in the past, maybe they’ll just change the name to Silvr Star...
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

^^^ it is interesting that they did not take the Real Estate. This is how most resorts make any money, not much money in pass sales. There is actually quite a bit (30 acres) up there still to be developed.

I have heard good things about the new owners so time will tell. This is the 5th ownership group in my lifetime and not much has changed except for not being able to drive a sled right into the village and hit the bar at night.

I'm heading up to Revelstoke for a Capow camp next weekend. I'm going to ski the resort on Sunday 12/15 and Saturday 12/21, anyone interested in meeting up for some turns?

I work sun but probably ski sat. Puking right now. If this keeps up should be sweet. Goung to be a gooder 2day and tomorrw

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone have friends working for Avalanche Canada out there who could comment on the office vibe etc?

Jumping ship already? Moving east?

Jumping ship already? Moving east?
    You bet!
    Quit the job, ditched the girlfriend, annulled my lease. All Lee Lau had to dow was mention jobs/cheap hoes/cheap real estate and 4x overhead blower plow and im there!

But more seriously any Revelstoke locals available to answer questions via pm. Have some things about the area I would like to figure out.

Thanks all for the radio suggestions. Going to try to get one while in canmore next week

And thank mcrawfo for the info about the chinese radio, we were actually wondering that when we drove the gorge today. Seems we weren't hearing call outs until less than 2km and it felt a bit sketchy.... so nicer radio it is.

Also gorge was great today. Touchy out of the trees, so 17km got wrecked today (15+ people lapping it). Pretty warm, but now enough to rot the snow.

Gorge was great. Touchy up top for sure, backed off the usual fun stuff. Coverage is excellent. Nobody at 15km, only saw two other groups.