Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Its Back

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    We college kids went freaking ham on the one nice day per semester

Upstate NY is only location in the country I forbade my daughter from considering for college.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Upstate NY is only location in the country I forbade my daughter from considering for college.
    Was it the lack of Popeyes chicken sandwiches or the seasonal depression?
    I still call it The Jake.

Shitty weather.

That being said, if it were me personally, the lack of Popeye's chicken sandys would certainly be a heavy burden to bear.

I have yet to try the Popeye's sandwich out of a healthy fear of being stabbed in line, however I will say that if you are using fast food establishments as a barometer for the overall quality of life of an area I would probably put the scale somewhere along these lines:

[Likelihood of being a casual murder victim] <--- White Castle --->
    <---Popeyes --->
    <---Cookout --->
    <---Dunkins --->
    <---Krystal --->
    <---Hardees --->
    <---Arbys/Carls Jr --->
    <---Taco Bell --->
    <---Burger King --->
    <---McDonalds --->
    <---Wendys --->
    <---Chipotle --->
    <---Starbucks --->
    <---Chick Fil A ---> [Likelihood of residents having a college degree]

Granted I'm particular about when I go but that far southwestern corner of NY state is really pretty when the weather is good and my impressions of the area and people are different than the sentiment here. The skiing out that way is great but with short verts, the backcountry is supposedly pretty amazing from what I hear from people on the ground and the mountain biking is off the charts good and there's lots of it. I need to get out there when the snow is right and see what it's all about. That ride from Buffalo to Ellicotville is pretty amazing, you go from lake level at about 200 feet above sea level to 2k in just a few minutes. I can just picture what it's like when the lake opens up for business and it's thumping 10"/hr there. The brewery there is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Granted I'm particular about when I go but that far southwestern corner of NY state is really pretty when the weather is good and my impressions of the area and people are different than the sentiment here. The skiing out that way is great but with short verts, the backcountry is supposedly pretty amazing from what I hear from people on the ground and the mountain biking is off the charts good and there's lots of it. I need to get out there when the snow is right and see what it's all about. That ride from Buffalo to Ellicotville is pretty amazing, you go from lake level at about 200 feet above sea level to 2k in just a few minutes. I can just picture what it's like when the lake opens up for business and it's thumping 10"/hr there. The brewery there is really good too.
    Ellicottville and HV are real gems and the people in town are great. Two years ago I did a day trip up when I was vising family for the holidays in NE Ohio. I left at 4am and it was hammering 10" an hour. By the time I made it to the bridge over Chataqua I hand't seen another plow or car for two hours and it was now dumping 12"+ according to the guy on the radio. Come to find out the highway had been shut down and I just didn't see it or they didn't see me. Great thing was, despite it being a day after Christmas, the place was empty because no one could get in so me and about 100 other people got to enjoy some of the deepest snow I've ever seen. The lake effect machine didn't let up until about 7pm either. It was outstanding.

I still don't think some of those people in the small left-behind towns around there shared my enthusiasm for the season.

They put a Popeyes in local a couple years ago. I actually like the chicken and would get it for my folks from time to time. Never had any sammitch there.

They had really good prices at first but then started raising the prices and lowering the count so I stopped going a while back. Also liked the spicy gravy they have on the mashed taters. Oh well.

In other news I discovered a new scoobie snack. Thick sliced mozz cheese covered in hemp hearts.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I have yet to try the Popeye's sandwich out of a healthy fear of being stabbed in line, however I will say that if you are using fast food establishments as a barometer for the overall quality of life of an area I would probably put the scale somewhere along these lines:

<---Popeyes --->
    <---Cookout --->
    <---Dunkins --->
    <---Krystal --->
    <---Hardees --->
    <---Arbys/Carls Jr --->
    <---Taco Bell --->
    <---Burger King --->
    <---McDonalds --->
    <---Wendys --->
    <---Chipotle --->
    <---Starbucks --->
    This was excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Just where the fuck is 'Upstate New York'. No two people seem to agree on the definition.

<---Popeyes --->
    <---Cookout --->
    <---Dunkins --->
    <---Krystal --->
    <---Hardees --->
    <---Arbys/Carls Jr --->
    <---Taco Bell --->
    <---Burger King --->
    <---McDonalds --->
    <---Wendys --->
    <---Chipotle --->
    <---Starbucks --->
    I'd move Dunkins a position or three towards college degree.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Just where the fuck is 'Upstate New York'.
    Where the shitty weather is. Ithaca.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I'd move Dunkins a position or three towards college degree.
    Google “Dunkin Donuts fight”

Or we can move it to the Ogden scale if that would provide more clarity.

Oh snap, Popeyes is really gunning for White Castle’s spot at the top of the mountain.

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...2-38ca03df9364

He needs to see the crowd at the Barre VT DD next to the courthouse.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

<---Popeyes --->
    <---Cookout --->
    <---Dunkins --->
    <---Krystal --->
    <---Hardees --->
    <---Arbys/Carls Jr --->
    <---Taco Bell --->
    <---Burger King --->
    <---McDonalds --->
    <---Wendys --->
    <---Chipotle --->
    <---Starbucks --->
    Solid list. I think churches chicken is close to interchangeable to popeyes(at least bitd chicago). Me and a friend were getting white castle at like 2am or so in merrievllie, IN (high AF of course) when we were 16. Also only white kids in the place and shit starts getting heated between some other group so we gtfo as quick as possible and hear pop pop pop. Think 4 people shot and one dead. Damn I love me a sack of 20 though.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Solid list. I think churches chicken is close to interchangeable to popeyes(at least bitd chicago). Me and a friend were getting white castle at like 2am or so in merrievllie, IN (high AF of course) when we were 16. Also only white kids in the place and shit starts getting heated between some other group so we gtfo as quick as possible and hear pop pop pop. Think 4 people shot and one dead. Damn I love me a sack of 20 though.
    Damn. Glad you GTFO.

That scene is basically interchangeable inside any Whities after 2am.

White Castle corporate is a client of my old firm and at least once a month they’d send over a few Crave Cases and several boxes of frozen Whities.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t grab a few to eat on the toilet when they’re hot n fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    The answer is in your question: it's the second rainiest place in the country to Seattle (seriously), it's the cloudiest place in the country (seriously), and it's one of the coldest places in the country. One year that I was there as a kid they had, literally, 60 sunny days in the YEAR.

I kinda wanna fight somebody just thinking about it...
    upstate NY does get more rain than Seattle- but just barely (~38"/yr in Seattle vs ~40" in upstate NY)
    but the top 5 rainiest places in the US by far are all in the SouthEast - ie Mobile gets around 65" of rain/ yr
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    He needs to see the crowd at the Barre VT DD next to the courthouse.
    haha I once got in trouble for walking in front of those 2 exact places. directly implied to avoid the dd/ courthouse block. The trouble was that the movie theatre was right next door
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    upstate NY does get more rain than Seattle- but just barely (~38"/yr in Seattle vs ~40" in upstate NY)
    but the top 5 rainiest places in the US by far are all in the SouthEast - ie Mobile gets around 65" of rain/ yr
    And yet Mobile has 220 days of sunshine a year while Ithaca has 155. US average is apparently 205 per wiki. There’s a reason the SE is called the sunbelt.

Interestingly enough, Cleveland has 165, which I guess does make it the Palm Springs of the Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Sounds right. However I should have specified it was the number of days with precipitation, and the SE places beat upstate because so much of upstages precipitation is snow.

It’s the number of days that’s makes people jump off of cliffs in Ithaca.

PSA: Its Back

Number of cloudy days, US cities.

I cut off the top. First column that says “year” is actually days per year. “Days” column is percent of days.

The stuff on the bottom refers to partial cloudy days. Sorry I should have cut that off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9972.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	319.7 KB 
ID:	302235  
    Last edited by beece; 11-13-2019 at 09:19 PM.

It’s enough to make someone get stabby over chicken.

Or a McRib.

To me Western NY and the Southern Tier (along the PA border) are upstate but they not Upstate NY. Upstate is north of a line between Albany and Syracuse the way I've always seen it. Lots of woods, snows a lot, grey all the time. Scarcity of chicken sandwiches but lots of pizza joints and dive bars. It's sort of like a poorer Vermont with angrier people.

PSA: Its Back

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    To me Western NY and the Southern Tier (along the PA border) are upstate but they not Upstate NY. Upstate is north of a line between Albany and Syracuse the way I've always seen it. Lots of woods, snows a lot, grey all the time. Scarcity of chicken sandwiches but lots of pizza joints and dive bars. It's sort of like a poorer Vermont with angrier people.
    Damn straight. Utica NY, last I checked, had two claims to fame. 1. Only chairlift inside city limits in lower 48. 2. Highest number of bars per capita in the US.

Luckily the ski area is very close to the hospital. Maybe 2-3 blocks.