Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    yep accepted!
    Filled out my pics. If you could add me to the TGR Halluci Nation tribe that would be awesome. Thx

Having trouble adding picks from mobile. Any tips?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This no live stream thing is really putting a damper on things.

ok i acknowledge you, toast.

who is skylift???
    this is going to be fun,

i put hall, durtschi, murray for ski
    and delarue, lubke, elhardt for snb
    That’d be me!! Haha no live cast?! WTF!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Welcome maggots,
    I added angleparking, total_immortal, G$, steveski, Gnar_Shralp406, Gaijin.

In & placed my bet. Thank you, Nordekette!

1) Turdell
    2) Sasaki
    3) Tabke

1) Paaso
    2) Tricomi
    3) Wessel

1) Luebke
    2) Mitsuhisa
    3) Penfield

1) Haerty
    2) Onozuka
    3) Davis-Meehan

I’ve attempted to join the group, under a different name. I tried to put a hint I was from here. I put picks in but who knows what comp. hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Training carts are for jongs. I remember back when this forum had legit bull-fighters and not a bunch of posers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jaynus View Post
    I’ve attempted to join the group, under a different name. I tried to put a hint I was from here. I put picks in but who knows what comp. hahahahaha

Hey Hugh,

I don´t see your request. please try again!

edit: there is no join request pending also not under another username

Kind of hard to understand the reasoning behind no live stream in exchange for a clean edit 40 hours later. They already have the ability to produce a clean edit 40 hours later.

Redbull TV kind of poked its head in last year by only live streaming the Mens' riding on Redbull TV. The whole feed broke and switched channels mid event. It was really awkward.

Perhaps it's a distribution/marketing decision that I can't wrap my head around and I'm willing to be wrong for them to get their product right. But I kind of dig the anticipation of tuning into the live feed when things don't go right so when they do go right that Golden Moment is so much appreciated.

I always watch the replays anyway. Are they turning their replay into their sellable product?

If this turns into a game chasing the highest-bidding distribution outlet (ala the Olympics) and becomes unwatchable in real time... they're dooming themselves in the era of live distribution outlets.

Let those who want a perfect edit 40 hours later just watch the replay. No reason to deny the fans the anticipation. (and then be spoiled anyway via twitter.)

Japan's mountains are a bitch. Maybe it's all a farce.

Delayed broadcast thing just confirmed on their FB feed. no indication whether it's a season-long plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Currently confirmed for Kicking Horse too.
    Go complain.
    https://www.facebook.com/FreerideWorldTour/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Welcome maggots,
    I added angleparking, total_immortal, G$, steveski, Gnar_Shralp406, Gaijin.
    Thanks dude.

I hate to belabour the point here, but the lack of live stream really, really, really sucks. It was cool to stay up until some ungodly hour to watch the live feed. No doubt there are enormous challenges in providing a live cast from some of these locations. Frankly however, I felt the technical difficulties, delays etc even added a certain charm to the affair. You'd make a little mental list of stuff you would want to go back.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 01-18-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 17.45.11.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	311336

i took a screenshot from todays video. is this the contest face in the background with actual conditions? or is this just some old stock-footage they cut in?

Seems like getting rid of the live feed is a big mistake. It’s just going to piss off the core fans, and unless they have some mega marketing blitz, I don’t see how a special edited replay 1+ days later is going to attract a whole load of new fans.

My ideal format would be one the same as how Red Bull does the UCI cross country and downhill - live feeds that are generally good, and then replays with any glitches fixed available pretty much immediately afterward.

Sadly, I think they're less interested in fans like us (like most resorts!) than they are in those who are more casual fans. How much ya wanna bet there will be ads in the edited, delayed version?

FWIW, Hakuba and KH were two of the most difficult events to stream previously. The year I was in Hakuba the venue and broadcast booth were in the middle of fucking nowhere, at the end of a snowmobile road, tremendously difficult to access, surrounded by huge mountains. Can't even imagine what it too to try to get that stream live.

The broadcast booth was on the road, probably a half mile (and well out of view) from the venue itself. Those guys were watching the comp (that ended up not happening) on monitors in the booth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Sadly, I think they're less interested in fans like us (like most resorts!) than they are in those who are more casual fans. How much ya wanna bet there will be ads in the edited, delayed version?
    Absolutely this. Way more advertising dollars than the live feed dealio. Plus they can edit out any transmission errors.
    Does having no live feed suck, yep. This is a smart move in their part inmho and exactly where i figured it was headed after the last couple seasons.

So if I understand correctly, only Hakuba and Kicking Horse are going to get the delayed broadcast. The European leg will be a live affair like last year I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Absolutely this. Way more advertising dollars than the live feed dealio. Plus they can edit out any transmission errors.
    Does having no live feed suck, yep. This is a smart move in their part inmho and exactly where i figured it was headed after the last couple seasons.
    I have no problem whatsoever with ads. WSL works them into their contests (although they tend to just be 2 minute commercials for the event itself). A live broadcast could easily have a XX second commercial for each rider as the judges tally the score. On the other hand, oftpiste's post makes it sound as though at these events not having the live stream may give them more flexibility needed to change venues and actually have the event which makes some sense.

fwiw on their FB page they replied that it would be replayed unedited. this would make a huge difference, but
    1. what happens if there's a crash and it takes 5-15 minutes to get back to gear and ski down. will that be edited?
    2. what happens when the light goes flat and it takes 15 minutes of no riding before call is made to go on hold. Will the 15 minutes of discussion be edited out?
    3. what happens if a skier says something in the interview that reflects poorly on the judges or the event in general. will that be edited?
    4. will it be edited to give preferential coverage to skiers with deep pocket/preferred sponsors?
    5. and i hate to ask but with a live streamed event there is no chance to edit other than cutting/switching a feed. at what point do you edit in the case of a serious or horrific crash/injury?
    Not looking for answers to any of these, just pointing out that it likely will be edited in some fashion vs a live event.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I was explaining to my wife (who is not of our tribe) why I was so bummed and I realized that it was because of the anticipation. I liked waking up at odd hours, tuning into a cloudy venue, waiting for things to clear, watching the entire vibe try to get things right. Then I felt like I was part of the comp... just like when I was actually competing.

I know there are only a handful of us out there that feel this and can relate but event day (E Day, I used to call it) was a full-on day even from my perspective as a fan on my couch. Now I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs wondering when I can click through the replay and skip the commercials. So much for my spectator lounge.

Part of the magic of being an athlete is knowing how incredible it is when things line up. And having experienced that, I really struggle to understand how FWT intends to express that incredibility into their edited and condensed replay.

Removing the live feed just makes it that much harder for the general public to understand what goes into pulling off a single line.

They're going to be like: "Oh, it's always sunny, perfect, and these athletes ski this shit everyday."

Please do make a condensed version with commercials for the general public who didn't lose anything by any spoilers due to their own naiveté. (You hand't yet succeeded at that anyway.) But, can I have my anticipation back?

I'm not paying them. They are a business. I get it. But god damnit.

Sorry-- had to vent.

So who won? My money’s on Eder.

My money is on Turdell.

My money is on share holder based capitalism.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I’d say give them a break. Without them there’s no FWT and they were in the shits when Swatch packed it in and pulled out the stops to keep the thing going. It will evolve, and hopefully keep growing. Look at all the FWQ and junior events. It’s fantastic for the kids. The lack of a live feed is a bummer but I’m sure we’ll get over it. Certainly make my commute to work safer!

Fair enough. FWQ and Junior is growing in Japan.

That said— gelende taxi is pulling all SNS headlines right now. https://www.instagram.com/p/B7gEhxrh...d=5nspoidoa2j0

Has the comp finished?
    And were is the fucking leak??
    I wanna know the winner.