Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Let's say he stomps that top cornice drop air, do you give him the nod over Turdell?
    I would. Turdell back-slapped his flip really hard. Surprised he didn't get docked more for that. Then again, he also hit the bottom air bigger than anyone else.

But Yu Sasa-knockied my socks off.
    sproing!

I'd say the judges don't based on the fact the they scored him a 30 for that run which left me scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Any word on Navarro?
    Sounds like he is alright. He says on instagram that he is recovering mentally and physically and looking ahead to Andorra.

Any word in Gorak?

Think I heard he's out for the season
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

The men's carnage really saddened me.

As far as scoring, if they're gonna penalize someone for landing on a shark and exploding, wouldn't it make more sense to dock them for line choice instead of control?

At the end of the day however, they're still getting docked for bad luck, and from this perspective, I guess the riders don't care.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

An inspection lap down the venue on traverse trails or something so as not to track it out would let the skiers know enough to avoid shark related carnage. But then you are fundamentally changing the insane burliness of the current format and maybe you don't want to too that. Or maybe you do...

Kicking Horse this year was reminiscent of an Andorra comp a few years ago (can't remember which year). Cringe worthy on both counts. Sharks and brutal crashes, one after the other.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 02-12-2020 at 09:24 PM.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Thought for sure Gorak had a broken arm. Didn't look right.

So so so fucking gnarly.

Gorak said on FB he has a partial anterior leg muscle tear. 6 week recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Can we change the name of that cliff to Yu's Air??
    How about Yuge Air? :-)

Even if he didn't mess up at the top, I'd still give the nod to Turdell. He skied that entire face ridiculously fast...

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    At the end of the day however, they're still getting docked for bad luck, and from this perspective, I guess the riders don't care.
    Riders care very much, but even rookies learn quickly how the game goes so they do what they feel is necessary to score, make it to Verbier, stay on the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Riders care very much, but even rookies learn quickly how the game goes so they do what they feel is necessary to score, make it to Verbier, stay on the tour.
    Agreed. I basically meant if they get dinged for catching a shark, I don't think deducting for control vs. line choice matters to them - assuming it's the same score. Do they?

I think that if a deduction is assessed, a line choice deduction is more in keeping with their implied goal of minimizing excessive risk taking.

Personally, I think they deserve bonus points (not deductions) for "bad luck" landings that they do well to recover from.

Dunno ... I hate the fact that athletes are treated as cannon fodder which was my main point.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^ Control score is the most important after line (which has nothing to do with the viability of the line you choose but is more about more gnarl/techy factor). Find and hit/trick as many features as you can in a venue, or go find the huge ones and stomp them. More features = higher line score, bigger features = higher line scores.

Any loss of control whether caused by a rock, tree, edge catch, bad trajectory is a major ding to the score. Agreed the Turdell's was loverly, but his backslap was pretty big and might have been missed by the panel, or they just wanted him to win. Both of those things happen on the FWT, which is what I mean when I refer to 'knowing how the game goes'.

Edit: in the old days of 'extreme' comps landing badly and pulling yourself out of it successfully to finish your line was considered a skill worth rewarding and often was. Largely, that approach has been replaced by the notion that if it ain't stomped it aint good.

Edit: in the old days of 'extreme' comps landing badly and pulling yourself out of it successfully to finish your line was considered a skill worth rewarding and often was. Largely, that approach has been replaced by the notion that if it ain't stomped it aint good.
    My impression was that fell out of favor because it potentially rewards riskier skiing. It seemed like the fwt gravitated pretty heavily towards rewarding clean runs and heavily penalizing any bobble, mistake, or non-stomped landing in an effort to discourage reckless hucking.

Agreed the Turdell's was loverly, but his backslap was pretty big and might have been missed by the panel, or they just wanted him to win. Both of those things happen on the FWT, which is what I mean when I refer to 'knowing how the game goes'.
    Maybe they were more forgiving than normal since three other guys had already eaten shit spectacularly on the same air? Also, they only scored him an 85, a better stomp probably would have pushed that run well into the 90s. The judges definitely would have been in a tight spot if Sasaki doesn't flub the cornice drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    they only scored him an 85, a better stomp probably would have pushed that run well into the 90s.
    Very good point.

Other than the top runs...some thoughts --

Carl-Regnier Erickson's run was ultra-smooth. Think he greased everything. He just looked he was moving at half-speed compared to Turdell!

Same with Renvall and Tom Peiffer. Both had solid runs, and I thought underscored.

Tanner...6th? How? Big backflip, but that was basically it.

Sucks about Wadeck's injury - hope there's less carnage at the next comp.
    sproing!

I went down Ozone where those guys did backies and crashed. Was about 20 ft below the tree that one guy hit. Snow was about a meter deep when i stuck my pole in grip first. Almost looked that area by tree was flatish but really could tell what the slope was where they landed as ended up a bit lower than I had planned.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

^^^
    Any loss of control whether caused by a rock, tree, edge catch, bad trajectory is a major ding to the score. Agreed the Turdell's was loverly, but his backslap was pretty big and might have been missed by the panel, or they just wanted him to win. Both of those things happen on the FWT, which is what I mean when I refer to 'knowing how the game goes'.
    Watching the comp live, without any idea who was who, I called Turdells run as the winner. I thought it was the best run and that they would forgive the backslap to give him it considering so many runs were lacking, and with their history of giving backslaps the win.

After rewatching, I don’t think he back slapped. I think it was a massive wheelie. Which is arguably just as bad.

Backslap or wheelie, Turdell flashed that face. And that matters. He was the hands down winner.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Backslap or wheelie, Turdell flashed that face. And that matters. He was the hands down winner.
    Agreed. Turdell is a preternatural talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Let's say he stomps that top cornice drop air, do you give him the nod over Turdell?
    Of course. That run was insane. Turdells landing was super steep, much easier to land. Bummed for Yu about that top cornice air.

The ladies were insane! So much fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Other than the top runs...some thoughts --

Tanner...6th? How? Big backflip, but that was it.
    Not to mention the exact same line he did last year. And I’m rootin for T Hall too...

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Not to mention the exact same line he did last year. And I’m rootin for T Hall too...
    Actually not even close to the same line. Didn’t share a single feature.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Actually not even close to the same line. Didn’t share a single feature.
    Never let facts get in the way of an opinion. It's the american way!

Im rooting for Skiboss. Ill always root for Skiboss. Im also now a Yuuge Sasaki fan. Wish his youtube channel had english subtitles. I hope the ski women meet or exceed that super high standard they have now set, its better to watch than mens snowboarding. they need to remove womens snowboard ASAP and give those slots to the ski womens field.

I think we can all agree that Yuuge needs to be his new nickname, right? It certainly can't hurt with the ladies...

I ate at his food truck and had no idea he was such a badass. Good food.