Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I think the single run format encourages risky behavior as well. I think a 2 run format with a combined score for both runs would also help create a environment of slightly more measured skiing and less reward for going for broke on one run. It would also allow athletes to get a feel for conditions and I bet ultimately it would result in more impressive skiing.

But you'd need to cut the snowboarding out to have enough time and heli drop athletes instead of making them hike to the top of a run.
    I was thinking same thing about the two run format but why would it have to be done in a day? Why not a second day at a second venue? The other side of Ozone? But really the hike is no big deal maybe 20 minutes a whole lap takes 50-60 minutes even for a old fuck like myself. I did two laps of ozone one afternoon before the comp.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Imagine if it was like surfing...you just take as many laps as you can in 1 hour or something and keep your top 2 scores.
    This idea has potential, but, waves don't get bombed out.

Turdell is such a freak.

OTE=ill-advised strategy;5890498]Imagine if it was like surfing...you just take as many laps as you can in 1 hour or something and keep your top 2 scores.[/QUOTE]

The hike would certainly weed out the stoners from doing multiple runs, some of those hikes are probably too long.

There were a few ski men coming into the corral guarding parts of their body. What's the body count? Aymar just bruised?

Just caught up. Turdell is a baaaaddd man. Holy shit that was fast. And for all the talk in this thread about scaling things back, he hit and stomped the same air that three other guys wiped out on, and won the comp. Snow was definitely heavier / grabbier by the time they skied the face. Pollard continues to impress (love his style, very Alta playful) and I think with some more of these under his belt we're going to see some great stuff from Durtschi.

Props to the women skiers... that was maybe the best collective performance from that group yet. They were seriously getting after it.

Glad Pehota is okay... he could have cracked his damn head open. Yikes. It's really easy to take the exposure for granted when you watch this. In person parts of that face are scary AF.

Imagine if it was like surfing...you just take as many laps as you can in 1 hour or something and keep your top 2 scores.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The hike would certainly weed out the stoners from doing multiple runs, some of those hikes are probably too long.
    excuse me?! my stoner ass hereby issues a challenge.
    we hike at at dawn
    guns drawn
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

also, the visual inspection only applies to recent snows right? I mean they can ski Ozone just like anyone else in the days/weeks prior to the comp

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    -Deeper snow always seems to bring about more carnage. Everyone's trying to send it bigger because the landings are soft, but bombholes and snow quality variability take their toll. Less deep but more consistent snow always seems to yield a better competition.
    Apparently not as soft as it looked.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8aN_g-F...=13n8fqms06nfu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7256.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	769.8 KB 
ID:	315190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7255.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	637.4 KB 
ID:	315191

I had thought he hit a rock. you can only see it very briefly in the live video. just after they show the air again zoomed in but zoomed toward in front of him instead of behind. when the announcers said he punched i was like no that was a rock

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    also, the visual inspection only applies to recent snows right? I mean they can ski Ozone just like anyone else in the days/weeks prior to the comp
    Ozone used to be a permanent closure. The no-zone, as it used to be called, as a couple of people have died on that face caught in Avy’s when it was a permanent closure. Once the fwt came to town the closure was lifted (basically the closure was because a local heli operator’s tenure cut through the bottom of the slope further East (along the ridge) from the lower start. Patrol rarely opens that face before the comp (only for a couple of hours this year until they closed it again) however, now that the comp is finished, it will be open. With that said, you can easily stare at that face all day with beer in hand from redemption ridge on the ski hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Apparently not as soft as it looked.
    Dang. That's interesting, glad he's ok. And it definitely helps explain the carnage.

I say it again...judges gotta judge, but outside of results, I don’t know what could show what a sick skier you are better than landing on rocks to a full-on otb front flip to no-hesitation ripping the rest of a run on blown-out torn up skis like nothing went wrong.

The level of athleticism on this tour blows my mind. It’s sick sick sick.

Just to expand on the timing. I think it was the 27th or 28th that Ozone was opened for the afternoon. Got to hill and it was a super secret rumor that everyone knew. But you couldn't tell what was going on over there as you couldn't see it from the chair. By the time I got over there people who had did the hike and waited were doing their second run. I got in two but I don't think there were any more than 30 tracks in that pm.

I think the reason they opened it was to get some skier compaction knowing that a fairly big storm was coming. That storm on the 1st had the high winds ( people getting sick on the gondi, the scariest chair ride in life etc. )
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Just to expand on the timing. I think it was the 27th or 28th that Ozone was opened for the afternoon. Got to hill and it was a super secret rumor that everyone knew. But you couldn't tell what was going on over there as you couldn't see it from the chair. By the time I got over there people who had did the hike and waited were doing their second run. I got in two but I don't think there were any more than 30 tracks in that pm.

I think the reason they opened it was to get some skier compaction knowing that a fairly big storm was coming. That storm on the 1st had the high winds ( people getting sick on the gondi, the scariest chair ride in life etc. )
    How did the face look for your laps compared to the comp?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    It was complete whiteout when they opened the face to the public. Snow was deep but at times you weren't sure if you were moving or not.

As for the probable new Golden venue location, the face they are thinking about is fun. A bit more logistics involved as it is 4 ridges north of the ski hill. Back of the clamshell for those with knowledge of the area.

Ok i rewatch the best runs today. We skipped all the crashes and it was very impressive skiing indeed. I was tired sunday night and seeing all those crahes mad me sad. Cause i try to stay healthy and fit cause missing out is the worst part of skiing.

Sun effect... definitly the last riders spray turns looked different then the first girls slashes.

The snow was variable as seen on loraine's prerun.

I would not blame the carnage on the venue or snowconditions. If you are in it you want to win it.

I remember when malakov crahed in fiberbrunn... i was angry of running a contest in lowtide.

I am not anymore.
    The fwt is doing right.
    It is the riders choise how much he is going to risk. They are all old enough. They can smoke spliffs, tour and jump cliffs.
    Alone in the woods or infront a camera.

Stay save out there, healthy and happy

Sent from ullr with love!

They'll never expand to 2 runs. For one, too much coin required to do so. Extra lodging and meals for the athletes, logistical challenges. As hard as it is to get one run off sometimes, imagine if they had to double that risk.

Thing 2 spoke of how consistently sharky much of that venue is, and much of it they have to navigate to get where they want to go.

The Rodney air was awesome. Too bad Yu fell over at the top.

Christopher is really good at skiing.

TH will not qualify for Verbier, and if he does I suspect he'll be "busy filming' again. Just a prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I skied the horse on the 30th before the storm. Ozone was now closed. Patrol was doing some more ski cutting. Visibility was fair, was able to see Ozone- face looked thin, Especially around any features.

Watching the comp on interweb few days later it looked a lot more filled in so just enough snow to cover up the sharks.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 02-12-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    The Rodney air was awesome. Too bad Yu fell over at the top.
    What a dude!!!

From his interview it sounded like he’d spent half of pre-season launching off cliffs preparing for this line. I’m certainly a new fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I skied the horse on the 30th before the storm. Ozone was now closed. Patrol was doing some more ski cutting. Visibility was fair, was able to see Ozone- face looked thin, Especially around any features.

Watching the comp on interweb few days later it looked a lot more filled in so just enough snow to cover up the sharks.
    Thanks. That sounds about what I was assuming
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Glad you're all right Drew!

I still can't believe Yu's run. Just unreal. MONSTER air into a perfect stomp (barely missing a tree in the landing), holding his speed directly into a turn that enabled him to go bigger than anyone else off that bottom hit. Damn. Props, Yu!

Cool comp, looking forward to the more interesting Euro venues coming up. Lady skiers - wow. Crushing.

Can we change the name of that cliff to Yu's Air?? I mean, Yu actually stomped it. Stomped the bejeebus out of it!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I still can't believe Yu's run. Just unreal. MONSTER air into a perfect stomp (barely missing a tree in the landing), holding his speed directly into a turn that enabled him to go bigger than anyone else off that bottom hit. Damn. Props, Yu!

Cool comp, looking forward to the more interesting Euro venues coming up. Lady skiers - wow. Crushing.

Can we change the name of that cliff to Yu's Air?? I mean, Yu actually stomped it. Stomped the bejeebus out of it!
    Let's say he stomps that top cornice drop air, do you give him the nod over Turdell?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Yes, yes we should. Definitely an amazing air.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Let's say he stomps that top cornice drop air, do you give him the nod over Turdell?
    In that hypothetical I think I'd still put him second by the tiniest of margins. Turdell's top air was burly in it's own right and he flipped it.

Any word on Navarro?