Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Tabke!!! So happy for that dude. Love his style and in my mind this exorcises the cat track demons of last year. Credit to the FWT for inviting him back.

Love the FWT!!! So happy the season has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Tabke on "custom 187 MVP +10 UL w/extra rocker".

THAT'S what I've been missing ....

pretty good event, all in all.
    Yeah his Instagram has had some posts of his MVP quiver for this year.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Freeride World Tour - 2020

After hearing the FWT organizer Woods explain why the remote nature of these venues has lead to a delayed broadcast, I am supportive for the athlete’s sake.

Being able to ski in the prime conditions and light in Japan in Canada is more important to me, and outweighs a delayed feed.

As for the snow, Japan is in a historic low. That venue seemed much steeper and more fall-line oriented than the last two in Hakuba.

Go Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Tabke listed as Ski & Snowboard Men

Is that a first? or an error?
    seems like it is now gone...an error, i guess

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'll be pulling for the Pollards just like last season. At least they know how to find the fall line, which is more than can be said for some athletes last season.
    Hm, no more vimeo embed?

Congrats Alto, loving it!!!

I would not want to be in my 30's competing against a 22 yr old Hank Bilous.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    seems like it is now gone...an error, i guess
    If so it was a long lasting one. I was told I could draft him
    as a snowboarder and a skier back in the wee hours of January. And there was this in the equal money interview
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6539D0DC-751D-4193-BDE1-710DBC055D33.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	808.2 KB 
ID:	311678
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    After hearing the FWT organizer Woods explain why the remote nature of these venues has lead to a delayed broadcast, I am supportive for the athlete’s sake.

Being able to ski in the prime conditions and light in Japan in Canada is more important to me, and outweighs a delayed feed.
    And in all fairness the delayed feed was well done. I was scared it would be too 'packaged' with music and interviews and other human interest bulls*t spliced in. Thankfully, that was not the case.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 01-20-2020 at 11:38 PM.

...aaand made it far enough to see Tabke and now I’m bored. Boring venue. Bad snow. Annoying announcing. Waaaayyy too much hype over the weekend. Going to hit a reset button and look forward to KH.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by regct; 01-20-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Hindsight is 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    ...aaand made it far enough to see Tabke and now I’m bored. Boring venue. Bad snow. Annoying announcing. Waaaayyy too much hype over the weekend. Going to hit a reset button and look forward to KH.

Venue and announcing we’re both beyond horrible. Japan has great skiing but doesn’t seem to have a venue for the fwt. Seems crazy to have all the athletes travel so far to ski such a junk venue year after year. I mean going to japan is cool but doesn’t seem to work for the tour. I liked the delayed feed, way less time wasted between runs.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I get confused by the venue choices in Japan, as often in the background there's FWT worthy terrain and instead they're skiing on some junior ifsa venue.

I liked the more consolidated format vs. live show.

The men's skiing looks really exciting this year. Seems like a lot of chargers.

The women's skiing is starting to get fairly impressive as well.

Announcers seemed to grasping at straws to say anything complimentary about the women's snowboarding. Astoundingly low level riding.

My wife commented "it doesn't even seem like most of women snowboarders are aware they are in a competition, most aren't even linking fluid turns."

Couldn't say it better myself.

They should just cut both men's and women's snowboarding. It's boring. In mind, cut the snowboarding and then go to a 2 run format like the Redbull Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    They should just cut both men's and women's snowboarding. It's boring. In mind, cut the snowboarding and then go to a 2 run format like the Redbull Rampage.
    Spoken like a true skier.

Looks like judges are really penalizing slight bobbles... Bilous’ and Pollard’s lines were faster, bigger, more entertaining than Tabke’s, he was just incredibly smooth and clean. Happy Tabke got the win, just surprised.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The vets performed! Especially Tabke and Bakered. They stepped up to the plate big time today. Difficult snow conditions really evened the playing field. Imagine that venue in ideal snow..... It would have been a freestyle paradise. As it was however, freestyle tossers like Hall were humbled. Even the unflappable Turdel stumbled in todays snow. To a very significant extent, the first stop of the year asked and answered the question, who can really ski?

I thought the mens skiing was profoundly entertaining. Bitch all you want about the venue, the judging, the selection process, the telecast, this and that, and this and that, but I'll watch over any televised sport any day.

Kiwi announcer dude referred to Navaro as a "muscle nugget'. He still does that thing where he talks to the riders on behalf of the collective voice. I could go on but suffice it to say that if austerity is a consideration for the FWT (which it would certainly appear to be), how about they save some money on that dudes salary and have dead air instead of him. Buddy needs to shut the f@ck up. Lorraine was decent IMO. I vote Martin and Lorraine for Kicking Horse.

The triumph of style. Tabke had the back flip and ticked the gnar box in the horseshoe zone, but what really defined his run was style and smooth skiing. More than anyone (and even he had a bobble), he made the snow look good (which it sure as f@ck wasn't). And when you soar through the air like a Flyin' Hawaiian, you're going to get rewarded.

Bilous with that Eder-esque falling mega float!

Pollard and the fall line!

That Horseshoe area was cool. Would have liked to have seen more action in there. Cool run out to the cliff bad.

What would Bimboes do on that venue? #WWBD

Peiffer

How long 'till kH?
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 01-21-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Looks like judges are really penalizing slight bobbles... Bilous’ and Pollard’s lines were faster, bigger, more entertaining than Tabke’s, he was just incredibly smooth and clean. Happy Tabke got the win, just surprised.

Nope. Look at Tabke's run. Every air he hit except the Horseshoe was the deepest landing of the comp (including his backflip), and every air was the most styly. They were extremely close and if Bilous didn't flung cat his giant transfer he would have been in the 90's but he did. If Tabke din't slow down above the horseshoe he would have been in the 90s.

edit-this is a big example of where i prefer the live format. on two of tabke's airs they zoomed in on him during the edit which makes it difficult to compare to other riders (though he was the only one on the first anyway). During others they would switch to the gopro. In a live event everyone pretty much gets the same coverage during the runs and they can show different angles while we wait for the scores. Plus, we're not getting the gopro angles during the live event, and neither are the judges so it's more real in that aspect. I also liked the post run interviews as long as the interviewer is knowledgeable and watched the run.

Agreed on Marty (oops, whoever the kiwi guy is). The first thing I thought when the broadcast started is 'What a complete lack of excitement!' And then he kept bickering with Lorraine when she clearly knew more than him, and apparently could see better than him. And then, 'chicks', which took away from his later 'chicks with tricks' which would have been okay if it was just that. Maybe I'm being over sensitive but it seems weak on the day they start equal payouts for men and women. Yes the snowboarding is weaker than the skiing, but I think that was exacerbated by the conditions today. The softer it is the closer they are.
    Regarding the equal pay I think skiing and snowboarding are among the many sports like climbing where women can do every bit as well as men. They're getting there and equal pay will help. The main difference, and this exist on the WSL too, is the depth of the talent. Equal pay (and hopefully the FWT also pledged to do equal venues, because that's just as important) should solve this over time. The problem is at this point the women's snowboarding can't handle the same venues as the rest of the categories
    Last edited by powdork; 01-21-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Pollard and Peiffer! Strong, good turns, fall line. Nice. Obviously Barkered and Tabke skied strong and clean.

IMO Bilous was over scored. Linking that 3 right out of the sender was sick as fuck but he was loose the whole way and couldn't touch Reine, Drew and Pollard on technique.

Delayed broadcast was way better than a shitty live broadcast that doesn't work. Lorraine was a boring MC. Bring back Derek.

Kicking Horse is Jan 6. Conditions are all time right now. Would have taken a photo of the venue but I didn't so stayed tuned for the... delayed broadcast.

With this new delay in distribution we get extra (more selective) camera angles during the review. I liked that a lot.

Stoked to have Lorraine commenting. She knows her shit.

The announcers are getting to know each other and will need time to tee each other up. I hope FWT doesn’t change announcers yet. Let these two get to know each other in the booth. They are both wise souls.

And yeah— BFD said it— to be an elder competing against Bilous is how the tides shift. Bilous fucking threw down. He wrapped that whole face into one feature.

I rarely, if ever, debate judging.

I was a bitch about no live feed but am not afraid to admit I liked the final product. The “pretending this is live” was a bit awkward but whatever.

Japan does have heavier terrain— but heavier venues with safe exits? Not so much. I think this venue was ideal for an FWT opening comp. A lot of safe floaters, one hectic section, dodgy snow to check the egos.

Awesome start to the season.

Thanks, FWT!

Just finally got to the womens... Holy fuck Hedvig! that was sick!

I love debating juding. After judging for 10 years there is always a conversation to be had, especially when an event has an agenda like a tv show would.

Bilous didn't flung cat his giant transfer
    I loved the Bilous flung cat mega transfer and hope it is a recurring theme this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I loved the Bilous flung cat mega transfer and hope it is a recurring theme this year.
    It won for Bilboes in 18. Now it's not new and has to be clean. When you flung cat you miss out on style points and lose control points. Also, big, or at least unique transfers is Tabke's thing so....
    Also, does this mean 2-3 years from now (or later this year) they'll be tricking the giant transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Kiwi announcer dude referred to Navaro as a "muscle nugget'. He still does that thing where he talks to the riders on behalf of the collective voice. I could go on but suffice it to say that if austerity is a consideration for the FWT (which it would certainly appear to be), how about they save some money on that dudes salary and have dead air instead of him. Buddy needs to shut the f@ck up. Lorraine was decent IMO. I vote Martin and Lorraine for Kicking Horse.
    FWIW Kiwi dude is sender and ex-FWT competitor Neil Wiliman, so not just a random appointment. Seems to ski/have skied regularly with quite a few of the current competitors over the last years which I guess explains the talking to them, but does also mean he knows something about them beyond just a media briefing.

Personally Martin was always awesome, but I think Neil does a much better job than the American dude who commentated a few stops with him a year or two ago. I only watched the mens skiers but didn't anything particularly annoying about the commentating anyway.

I don't know him, and it doesn't have anything to do with commentating anyway, but friends who do say he's cool. And I do think it's pretty cool that he holds down both a pro ski career and a 'proper job':

I thought Neil & Lorraine got along quite well. I also think they'll just get to know each other better. They actually improved in this one comp.

That said, adding Martin into it would be a good triangle. A lot of pro sport booths have more than two commentators. Divide each person's skill set into categories to take the lead in discussion. Then develop a recipe for conversational flow and I think it'd be a rad 3-person conversation.

They all add tremendous value and I don't think it needs to be limited to just two personas.

Martin is a veteran-genius.
    Neil is a veteran-genius.
    Lorraine is a veteran-genius.

If any other veterans could talk they'd be in the booth.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Also, does this mean 2-3 years from now (or later this year) they'll be tricking the giant transfers?
    Yes. Yes, it does.
    It means exactly that.

Perhaps tricking the giant transfers is the best way to get rid of looking like a flung cat. Floating a 3 might be a lot easier than keeping your shit together in a 10-second straight air. At least, it would take your eyes (and mind) off of the landing.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-21-2020 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    The vets performed! Especially Tabke and Bakered. They stepped up to the plate big time today. Difficult snow conditions really evened the playing field. Imagine that venue in ideal snow..... It would have been a freestyle paradise. As it was however, freestyle tossers like Hall were humbled. Even the unflappable Turdel stumbled in todays snow. To a very significant extent, the first stop of the year asked and answered the question, who can really ski?

I thought the mens skiing was profoundly entertaining. Bitch all you want about the venue, the judging, the selection process, the telecast, this and that, and this and that, but I'll watch over any televised sport any day.

The triumph of style. Tabke had the back flip and ticked the gnar box in the horseshoe zone, but what really defined his run was style and smooth skiing. More than anyone (and even he had a bobble), he made the snow look good (which it sure as f@ck wasn't). And when you soar through the air like a Flyin' Hawaiian, you're going to get rewarded.

Bilous with that Eder-esque falling mega float!

Pollard and the fall line!

That Horseshoe area was cool. Would have liked to have seen more action in there. Cool run out to the cliff bad.

What would Bimboes do on that venue? #WWBD

Peiffer

How long 'till kH?
    Did I hear him call Tim Durtschi a powder pro? Lol