Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I see where you're coming from. I get your motive. But I don't think this crowd has the time or patience to articulate a pre-emptive approach to challenging FWT's standards.

We (or maybe just I) kind of like to watch it roll out and then discuss our reactions. Besides, the judging is instantaneous. The judging has been discussed and debated for decades. We're not really here to challenge that or complain. If a complaint goes viral, maybe the judges will listen and alter their standards. But that is a huge step that is quite larger than a thread on TGR.

We're just a select group of fans.

You should start a TGR Fantasy FWT thread. A thread where we all predict who will win. And then leave this thread alone.
    Fuck it. Let the games begin.

I like a FWT Fantasy draft idea.

Anyone know anything about this years rookies? I’ve never heard of anyone of them. FWT website doesn’t have a ton of info on them. Anyone worth paying attention to?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Thanks! Very kind of you.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Well, if he ends up coming CO way for any reason, let us know, we'll make sure he's got a place to lay his head and some other high level guys to poke around with.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Durtchi is an interesting add. They seem to be embracing the freestyle vs big mountain freeride background right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

FWIW, and I've said it before, there's a huge amount of influence from tour operation/ownership in the judging tent, especially as Verbier approaches. There's a phone in the tent direct to ownership.

I've sat with judges and been told implicitly that this is the case, and I know many others (including athletes) who have been in similar conversations.

After a new tour athlete's first couple of events they get to know this, and it's part of the game. Of course you have to perform, but it ain't only about the skiing.

It's great if you're one of the ones they want to keep around. Many of those are very well paid European athletes who have BIG sponsorships (Mercedes Benz, Renault, Red Bull etc.) and don't have to do anything in life except be high-profile athletes. I respect and applaud those accomplishments for those guys, and those relationships and the athlete's very high social media profiles serve the tour well.

Others of course, are not, but have been around a long time and are consistent performers. One athlete I know pulled out of this year's tour due to injury. FWT would not offer them a spot next season, but they do so for others. They do what they think is best for biz.

So, no, judging ain't ever gonna change. FWT is a privately owned, for-profit business, and results will continue to serve the bottom line to the fullest extent possible. I get why it works the way it does, but it's not like some figure-skating, regulated, closely monitored set of judging rules and regulations with checks and balances to promote 'fairness'.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Fuck it. Let the games begin.
    Yeah, I don't know why I was so crabby... edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why I was so crabby... edited my post.
    No worries : ) it is the internet

here is the link to the bet predicting game

https://www.freerideworldtour.com/news/peak-performance-fun-bet

it is entertaining and you can win something - just saw there is a tribe function this year

I usually bet at the last moment : ) and but THALL on the top spot

edit:
    https://peakperformance.pronosticgames.fr

thats the actual link

OK i created a tribe - called TGR -

if you feel like it - join - just did my prediction for hakuba and that is really hard to say who is going to throw the biggest 3or7 and a styled backflip/flatspin.... most riders in the bcfreeride segment could do so...
    hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I like a FWT Fantasy draft idea.

Anyone know anything about this years rookies? I’ve never heard of anyone of them. FWT website doesn’t have a ton of info on them. Anyone worth paying attention to?

Jess Hotter could do really well in Women's ski - drops big cliffs, very solid skier and has some tricks. Also seems to have the right kind of temperament for competition. It'll be interesting to see if she can step it up to the FWT venues and format.

Konsti Ottner is also a beast, expect some big backflips. There's a strong NZ rookie contingent in men's ski and I'm also keen to see what they can do.

Only thing I know about Hank Bilous (NZ) is his huge spread eagle into Corbet's. Style for dayz.

Nord - that fantasy thing is interesting. Deadline for Japan entries is in 5 hours and change...

Which means - the FWT is almost upon us! YEWWWWW
    sproing!

OK i created a tribe - called TGR -

if you feel like it - join - just did my prediction for hakuba and that is really hard to say who is going to throw the biggest 3or7 and a styled backflip/flatspin.... most riders in the bcfreeride segment could do so...
    hmmm
    I joined. I guess you have to approve me to join the tribe.

I don't have the slightest idea who's going to win. Especially in the snowboarding women's category.

That said, I'm still entirely willing to talk shit. My random guesses are so much better than your random guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Got some examples big guy??? As in other threads, you sure are a badass behind the keyboard.
    50% man, 90% mouth.

ok i acknowledge you, toast.

who is skylift???
    this is going to be fun,

i put hall, durtschi, murray for ski
    and delarue, lubke, elhardt for snb

Don't know if this is old news, but apparently there's no Hakuba live stream. Sources telling me they plan to broadcast an edited version some 40 hours (?) after the event and athletes have been asked not to post anything until then. No clue if this will apply to other events, and supposedly it is FWT's attempt to provide a more streamlined broadcast to attract more eyeballs.

Bilous is a nut. Watched him poach the venue naked at a 4* FWQ in CB a few years back after not qualifying for a 2nd run. Sent a huge air and ate shit badly. Naked.

No live stream? Wow, that blows...

shocking

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Bilous is a nut. Watched him poach the venue naked at a 4* FWQ in CB a few years back after not qualifying for a 2nd run. Sent a huge air and ate shit badly. Naked.
    Sounds like he's the hero we need. The second coming of Shane?

The live streams when the weather is good have been fine the last couple years (for the most part) and the action proceeds quickly. I'd be ok with an edited version up on YouTube but 40 hours is too long for social media blackout.. They should just do a very rough edit and get the thing up within a couple hours after event ends (obviously will need a fast internet connection for upload).

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Don't know if this is old news, but apparently there's no Hakuba live stream. Sources telling me they plan to broadcast an edited version some 40 hours (?) after the event and athletes have been asked not to post anything until then. No clue if this will apply to other events, and supposedly it is FWT's attempt to provide a more streamlined broadcast to attract more eyeballs.

Damn. I LOVE the live streams and have almost zero interest in their edited version. That really really sucks. Going to let them know on their FB now.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

^^^ damn that blows. My bosses will be happy though.

Nord, I'm gonna **Toast*** your ass in this fantasy thing with my wild-ass guesses on who is gonna win. PS, add me in too, por favor.
    sproing!

Bilous sounds like a hero.

Murray’s injury-causing send last year made me a fan. Hope he’s back in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    ^^^ damn that blows. My bosses will be happy though.

Nord, I'm gonna **Toast*** your ass in this fantasy thing with my wild-ass guesses on who is gonna win. PS, add me in too, por favor.
    you are in!!! please show me how it is done : )

who is skylift???
    He posts under the same username here.

I just joined too and am going to crush all you posers once norde adds me

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    He posts under the same username here.

I just joined too and am going to crush all you posers once norde adds me
    yep accepted!

Social media indicates that Craig's been getting after it pretty hard since the end of the season, riding a lot in both hemispheres. I suspect he's in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Bilous sounds like a hero.

Murray’s injury-causing send last year made me a fan. Hope he’s back in shape.

i am off to lalaland, going to accept any new joiners in the morning