View Poll Results: What style backcountry backpack do you use?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bare bones (no additional safety)

8 47.06%
  • Snorkel (Avalung)

2 11.76%
  • Air Canister Style (BCA Float)

6 35.29%
  • Fan Style (BD Jetforce)

1 5.88%

Backcountry Avalanche Backpacks

So I've seen quite the range of avalanche backpacks that try to save you in the case you get buried. The main ones I know are the air canister style, the fan style, snorkel style (avalung), and then bare bones, no additional safety. They all seem to have good theories in mind, but I haven't found any real studies on it actually working, compared to beacon/shovel/probe being pretty proven to greatly increase your chances of surviving. Also prices range from $80 for a decent bare bones backpack to $1200 for the BD jetforce. What do you guys trust, aka which ones are you rolling the dice on to save your life lol. What're the pros/cons of each? The Float seems to be the most popular in my neck of the woods, seems to be the optimal price point
    Last edited by brundo; 10-02-2019 at 04:36 PM.

There are airbag studies on survival. It’s like any gear and increases your odds I bought an airbag for this reason and it’s a sunk cost over many years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Wrong forum.. Try the Slide Zone.

But only after searching harder, this has all been researched.

Start here > http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/

.... and your poll is useless since on any given day you might use any of several of the options due to conditions, terrain or numerous other factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm usually solo and don't want the extra weight so bare bones. Avalung would be the worst option for solo I think because it would just prolong the inevitable. Other options may help or you may just wish the fuck you would die because there is a tree limb in your eye socket from when you stayed on top through a grove of trees and now you can't reach your Inreach. This obviously depends on terrain. Big open bowls a float option could be very beneficial if solo I think. But I'm not sure how often that might still require extraction assistance from someone else.

I'm pretty cautious when solo (well all the time, really, but I think group heuristics do come into play for most of us whether we want to admit it or not) Dostie's take on solo: https://earnyourturns.com/30584/solo-avalanche-safety/
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 10-02-2019 at 05:48 PM.

I don't tour much, but when I do I use a BD pack with availung. If I were skiing in Europe or AK, I would invest in an airbag. In the wasatch, there are so many trees and trauma related injuries/deaths that staying on top may not be a great thing.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-03-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    it’s a sunk cost
    Quite the pun.

I have owned an airbag, and an avalung pack. Sold them both. Now I just ski with a basic pack.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I haven't found any real studies on it actually working, compared to beacon/shovel/probe being pretty proven to greatly increase your chances of surviving.
    Then you obviously didn't search at all.

Lazy-ass post in the wrong forum.

Tech Talk for "which pack", Slide Zone for "should I use one" (lots of links to survival stats there).

Look up "Slide the Avalanche Podcast". Somewhere in the first 6 or 7 episodes he discusses his philosophy on the subject.

On a related topic, I keep thinking of an Avalung for tree wells.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

jong