Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Maybe get your boyfriend to do it for you?

JFC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Go back to Can Tire:

I bought one of these bad boys back ages ago and still going strong.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0091047p.html

...on sale right now.
    yeah...but....damn....120+ bux = 20 drives to/from ski hill in gas money.... or, 1 good pair of used fat skis in Whistler..... or, 6 x brand new backup scissor jacks from amazon.
    Master of mediocrity.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta....pal-prod-com2

45$ at princess auto ^^ I have always wondered why a hardware chain who's focus group is the camo wearing fat guy with plumbers crack crowd

would name the store ... Princess Auto ?

last month i destroyed a tire on the International, it even broke some plastic body panel when it blew, way out on a forestry road with no cel service , tire was one of them big 21" MoFo's with 8 nuts heavy as fuck only way to get it on the studs was using a snow shovel to lever it up and then i could barely get the dead tire up in the Van ... fuck I thot i was retired eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    yeah...but....damn....120+ bux = 20 drives to/from ski hill in gas money.... or, 1 good pair of used fat skis in Whistler..... or, 6 x brand new backup scissor jacks from amazon.
    Go ahead and price out what replacing a damaged brake disc will cost when your scissor jack fails while the wheel is off. Or the ER visit when you drop your car on your foot.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Go ahead and price out what replacing a damaged brake disc will cost when your scissor jack fails while the wheel is off. Or the ER visit when you drop your car on your foot.
    Like ski touring; low probability/high consequence event. Life on the edge.
    Master of mediocrity.

More like ski touring on 1960s ski gear. A proper floor jack and jack stands make the project way easier, quicker, and thus more enjoyable. What's really fun is when the scissor jack strips with the car UP. Those things were really only meant to be used once... scratch that.. they're just for looks..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I always jack with plywood underneath but
    I jack on top of whatever is handy, but what you jack with is pretty important. Whether you use a normal drill or add some impact, scissoring is just the wrong way to go about this. A good pump jack is worthwhile and protects the innocent.

I’m still shaking my head that the $50 was spent on a fucking impact driver and impact sockets rather than the correct tool for the job.
    focus.

Not so low probability. I’ll do a lot of sketchy shit when I work on cars but rely on scissors jacks? That is out of the question.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’m still shaking my head that the $50 was spent on a fucking impact driver and impact sockets rather than the correct tool for the job.
    Thats cuz you havent been paying attention to the stuff swiss does down in the ghetto
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well, the impact wrench / sockets is the right tool for the job. But the job is rotating the tires, and that wrench is great for lug nuts. Yeah, buying an impact wrench to operate a scissor jack more quickly is... wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Well, the impact wrench / sockets is the right tool for the job. But the job is rotating the tires, and that wrench is great for lug nuts. Yeah, buying an impact wrench to operate a scissor jack more quickly is... wrong.
    A $50 impact driver is not the right tool for that job. If he actually purchased a quality tool with enough oomph to loosen a lug nut/bolt, I’d agree.

Somehow I doubt that.
    focus.

Hydraulic bottle jacks are cheap and much more reliable than a scissor jack. Harbor Freight or whatever Canadian source for cheap tools --
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-...ack-69472.html

A floor jack is a better choice -- more stable, faster to use. My 20 year old HF jack was starting to wear out, so I replaced it with a newer and more low-profile version -- this one:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nge-64240.html

Works great. HF jack stands are solid too.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nds-61196.html
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A $50 impact driver is not the right tool for that job. If he actually purchased a quality tool with enough oomph to loosen a lug nut/bolt, I’d agree.

Somehow I doubt that.
    Got to disagree with you on that one. I have a $35 Harbor Freight clone of that impact wrench that’ll take off lug nuts no problem. It’s absolutely useless for anything else though. Too big, heavy and hardwired so you can’t use it anywhere else on a car. That’s why I got a cordless Milwaukee m18.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Somehow I doubt that.
    I guess I have no idea what kind of torque that thing produces.

I have a fairly inexpensive corded impact wrench that I use all the time. Spins lug nuts off no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Got to disagree with you on that one. I have a $35 Harbor Freight clone of that impact wrench that’ll take off lug nuts no problem. It’s absolutely useless for anything else though. Too big, heavy and hardwired so you can’t use it anywhere else on a car. That’s why I got a cordless Milwaukee m18.
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I guess I have no idea what kind of torque that thing produces.

I have a fairly inexpensive corded impact wrench that I use all the time. Spins lug nuts off no problem.
    Point conceded.
    focus.

Erring on the side of caution, I probably wouldn't use an impact wrench to spin a scissor jack. Seems like it could generate a lot of heat and premature wear.

There are some fairly affordable aluminum floor jacks out there, if weight is a big concern.

24" breaker bars are cheap and extremely useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm late to the party but...
    If you can't justify a floor jack you can at least get a bottle jack for under $20. Its not a matter of if that scissor jack will fail, its when.

This thread is pretty funny. Dude doesn't need a floor jack, he needs jack stands.

set brake > block the wheels > lift car with best jack you can afford > put car down on jack stands > do work

changing tires while the car is on any type of jack is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Erring on the side of caution, I probably wouldn't use an impact wrench to spin a scissor jack. Seems like it could generate a lot of heat and premature wear.
    yeah I agree, that's ghetto as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    This thread is pretty funny. Dude doesn't need a floor jack, he needs jack stands.

set brake > block the wheels > lift car with best jack you can afford > put car down on jack stands > do work

changing tires while the car is on any type of jack is a bad idea.

People are using impact "driver" and impact "wrench" interchangeably. They are not the same thing. People have been using impact drivers on rv scissor jacks for years.

edit: actually now that I think about this, I am going to recant my statement. The difference is that there is no bearing weight on an rv jack, I can see how premature wear could occur for actual lifting and a powerful drill would be a better option (sorry swissiphic, but that will still be handy for lugnuts) And I also agree on getting a real jack and stands

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    It's OK guys, he watched a video on Youtube first.

Why not get 4 trailer electric tongue jacks and weld them to the side of your car near each wheel? Of course, use jack stands as a safety back-up, or cinder blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's OK guys, he watched a video on Youtube first.
    I hope he makes videos of his attempt to rotate tires using one scissor jack and a cheap drill/impact ..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Of course it's ghetto as fuck. My ski gear fabrication/modification not a company name is Ghettowerx.

Other high risk, high reward experiments include a few days of skiing with bindings mounted on 9mm kitchen cutting board mount plates that were temporarily bonded to ski topsheets with double sided carpet tape. They said it couldn't be done. It was done. Ski touring uphill with max sideways torque on toepiece, having to kick heels to get grip on spring refreeze crust, pounding downhill through breakable crust, etc... no fails.

Took a lot of effort to pry the bastards off after applying a bit of heat after the few days of ski testing was complete.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060079 (2015_05_09 19_41_53 UTC).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	608.2 KB 
ID:	296338
    Master of mediocrity.

Ok, you win.